FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Disable Volume Wake Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4 Leaked ROM

191 posts
Thanks Meter: 118

By chjade84, Senior Member on 18th April 2012, 07:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Ever since I've flashed the leaked "stock" 4.0.4 ROM the volume buttons will wake the screen as well as the power button. (I'm told stock doesn't do this so someone has been playing around....?) I don't recall which 4.0.4 ROM I downloaded but regardless - if your Nexus does this and you don't like it, here is how to fix it.

Navigate to /system/usr/keylayout/ with Root Explorer or such and mount as read/write.

Make a backup of tuna-gpio-keypad.kl -- just in case

Then open tuna-gpio-keypad.kl in a text editor.

You will see 3 values after all of the header text information:

key 114 VOLUME_DOWN WAKE
key 115 VOLUME_UP WAKE
key 116 POWER WAKE

Delete the "WAKE" from the buttons you wish NOT to have wake the phone.

Save the file and restart.

FINALLY! No more accidental unlocking. I'm not sure why one would want the volume keys to unlock the phone when the power button does already but to each their own.

Consequently... if you wanted your stock phone to wake on volume you could maybe open the file and add in the "WAKE" - or the whole lines if they aren't already there. No guarantees on that though. Also no guarantees on this either - of course.
18th April 2012, 08:36 PM |#2  
Flag CA
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Why would anyone want that? Because its less wear and tear on the power button. I almost always only used the volume for audio. So allowing it to wake the device is allowing me to use volume and power buttons more evenly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
18th April 2012, 08:45 PM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,568

More
That doesn't happen on stock anyway, even if leaked. Not unless someone enabled it before you flashed it.
18th April 2012, 08:55 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidstech11

Why would anyone want that? Because its less wear and tear on the power button. I almost always only used the volume for audio. So allowing it to wake the device is allowing me to use volume and power buttons more evenly.

The big problem for me is I use Tasker to automatically switch to different volume modes based on where I am. Having such a big button on one side seems to almost daily get triggered and then my ringer isn't where I want it or I miss calls/texts because it got on silent (one volume press down from vibrate). I've also done weird things accidentally because I'll reach in my pocket and touch a volume button and as I'm pulling it out things get touched on the screen.

I should probably also mention I'm not using a lock screen - that's probably also part of what makes it such a pain having it accidentally pressed.

Again, to each their own. I found it annoying for my situation so I'm sure someone else will as well and will appreciate the tutorial.
18th April 2012, 08:56 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne

That doesn't happen on stock anyway, even if leaked. Not unless someone enabled it before you flashed it.

Right. Which is why I'm wondering why a "stock" 4.0.4 ROM had this messed with.... I wish I remembered which ROM it was because I think it was mis-labeled... lol
18th April 2012, 08:59 PM |#6  

More
Must have been

I've heard this a couple times, but I flashed my wife's phone with IMM30B (the ota, not a rom) when it leaked, and it has never existed this behavior.
18th April 2012, 09:32 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Mah-ha! Googled the kernel version and found it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1481613

I only got the "Rooted,De-odexed,Zip-aligned ROM With Stock Insecure Boot Image Without Radios & Bootloader" and the "Native Tethering Hack".

20th April 2012, 11:21 PM |#8  
Flag NC
Thanks Meter: 227

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidstech11

Here's another reason. The pogo pins are on the same side as the power button. So when the phone is in the horizontal desktop dock you can't unlock the phone. At least not with anything less than 4.0.4 and I'm not sure how they do it because I don't have it yet. It may very well be with that change to the power button. That may be why they did it in 4.0.4.
21st April 2012, 12:47 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy

Here's another reason. The pogo pins are on the same side as the power button. So when the phone is in the horizontal desktop dock you can't unlock the phone. At least not with anything less than 4.0.4 and I'm not sure how they do it because I don't have it yet. It may very well be with that change to the power button. That may be why they did it in 4.0.4.

Doubt it as the method in 4.0.4 doesn't work with slide unlock. It only works when the os is not locked.

So the volume only wakes the screen if not locked. If it is locked, it does not work.
21st April 2012, 06:56 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I can confirm that the volume buttons wake the device on a 100% stock Sprint Galaxy Nexus. I checked the file and sure enough, both buttons on the volume rocker have WAKE next to them. Kind of annoying when the phone constantly wakes throughout the day due to my slightly-snug case. I was going to wait and see how long I could go before rooting, but this may just be a deal breaker.
21st April 2012, 07:28 PM |#11  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 141

More
so i can add the volume wake in a stock rom by entering those lines?

edit: those lines are there.. but volume doesnt wake
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)