FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Galaxy Nexus keeps crashing randomly

17 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Panatella, Junior Member on 26th December 2011, 12:12 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys, i need some advise here!

For weeks, i anxiously waited for the mailman to bring my my GNex and for a few days im very happy with it. Unfortunatly, the major plus of android, it never freezes, isnt true for my brand spanking new Gnex!

Seeming randomly, the phone freezes, refusing all input from the screen and the On/Off button. This happens about every 20 hrs.
Ususally i advise people with this problem to exchange their phone with a different one, but im afraid i wont get a stock 'yakju' build back in return, so want to try to fix (or at least determine) the problem first.

Can you guys give me some tips on how to get to the bottom of this?

Thanks in advance!

Info:

Model: Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
Android version: 4.0.1
Smalbandversion: I9250XXKK1
Kernel: 3.0.1-ga052f63-android-build@apa28 #1
Build: ITL41F (yakju)

And again, it's all stock

26th December 2011, 12:41 PM |#2  
Flag Brasov
Thanks Meter: 72

More
i had a lot of problems with the 4.0.1 fw, have you tried updating the phone to 4.0.2 it solves a lot of bugs!
26th December 2011, 12:51 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Arnhem

More
I tried to update the phone through the system update menu in the settings, but it listed my phone as 'up to date'. I find this is odd, since i have a Nexus ánd the Google build

Is there a way of updating the phone without a lot of hassle?
26th December 2011, 01:22 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Arnhem

More
I looked into it, in the Netherlands the 4.0.2 update should roll out in a few days. If it isn't, I'm going to flash it myself! Were your problems with 4.0.1 similar to mine e.g. crashes and freezes?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App
27th December 2011, 12:22 AM |#5  

More
In my experience most of the time when that happened was caused by 3rd party apps that weren't ics optimized.

27th December 2011, 12:32 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Arnhem

More
Well freezes and crashes maybe, but the whole phone unresponsive? Isn't there a try/catch somewhere which prevents this kind of 'dirty code' to crash the whole OS, anyway there should be.

Also, ( I forgot to mention this in #1) the phone reboots sometimes while its active as well as when its idle. The rebooting is always paired with a loud *click*

27th December 2011, 01:25 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Same problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panatella

Also, ( I forgot to mention this in #1) the phone reboots sometimes while its active as well as when its idle. The rebooting is always paired with a loud *click*

That exact thing happened to me yesterday as well (running 4.0.1). I pulled down the notification bar, clicked on the email notification, and when the notifybar started collapsing again, the animation stopped, sound was caught in a loop, and two seconds later my phone rebootet with a clicking sound (I hope that it was just the speaker reacting strangely to the sudden signal loss...!)

The same day, the Nexus kind of crashed while I was streaming internet radio to my bluetooth speaker. The music kept on playing fine, but I wasn't able to turn on the screen. Even holding the vol+/- and power buttons only shut the phone down, but I couldn't restart before I removed the battery.

I really hope this is gonna be fixed with the 4.0.2 / 4.0.3 firmwares. This thing is crashing a little too often right now, for my taste
29th December 2011, 11:04 PM |#8  

More
I'm getting the same problems as noted above. I've just picked up the nexus to move away from Apple's iPhones, but I'm left wondering I've made a serious mistake in doing so. An added problem is that the crash has also occurred when I've been recharging the battery while asleep- so the alarm I set did wake me.

Honestly, it's an unreliable product. I'm a customer, not a Samsung lab rat.
3rd January 2012, 07:41 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Got the same issue. 2 crashes in 4 days. Not a huge problem for me yet, but 4.0.3 better fix it.
3rd January 2012, 08:29 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Well most of my problems went away when i updated my phone. You should definitely try to update. Personalty I went straight for 4.0.3. The best ROM i've tested is definitely Android Open Kang Project :http://rootzwiki.com/topic/11455-rom...guro-build-13/
Everything just went so smooth and bugfree as far as i can tell. And i love the quick setting he put in notification bar.

You can see how to unlock your phone here using the gn toolkit :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1392310
3rd January 2012, 08:44 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I had those kinds of crashes, too. My phone would crash maybe once every 3-4 hours on 4.0.1... doing anything. Whether it be idle, with no extra services (factory reset), or while composing messages. Anything would do it.

Anyway, I rooted the phone and I've been on Bigxie's ROM since V1 (AOSP 4.0.3) and the issue stopped, for the most part, except for an idle reboot every 18-28hrs. Suspecting it was kernel related, I swapped out the Apex kernel and threw on Franco's... since then, my phone can run for almost two days (of moderate usage) without a charge.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
advise, crash, freeze, n00b

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)