FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Galaxy Nexus MTP and Ubuntu or Mint Linux solved

508 posts
Thanks Meter: 179

By loveubuntu, Senior Member on 15th February 2012, 07:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I didn't have a GN until this week so my only LIMITED experience was with my nephew's GN and I was not able to connect it to my Ubuntu 11.10, 11.04, 10.10 or Mint 12. I got my own this week and started the search. Here is how you do it courtesy of Shannon VanWagner

and his website Humans Enabled

Shannon's info:

https://plus.google.com/115207567016362184954/about

Thanks Shannon. Here is the what you should do: again all credit goes to Shannon VanWagner. Fire up a terminal session:

1-
Code:
sudo apt-get install libusb-dev
2- download libmtp tar.gz from http://sourceforge.net/projects/libmtp/files/libmtp/

3-cd to the directory you downloaded to: Download in this case, case sensitive

Code:
cd Downloads
4- extract the tar package

Code:
tar xvf libmtp-1.1.1.tar.gz

please make sure you check the file version, this file changes as it is updated and change it accordingly per the above website

5- cd to the newly created folder that has the extracted file:

Code:
cd libmtp-1.1.1
again don't forget to change the name if the version has changed

6- compile and install: do each step separately

Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr
Code:
make
Code:
sudo make install
7- while in the same directory in the terminal, copy the rules from there to the udev folder:

Code:
sudo cp 69-libmtp.rules /etc/udev/rules.d
8- install gMTP:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gmtp
9- open up gMTP, go to edit/prefrences and check the box for Always Show Download Path. This way when you are downloading from the phone to your computer, you are asked to choose a location. Use the Add button to upload from your Linux Box to the phone. Delete does, well, Delete a file.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to loveubuntu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift loveubuntu Ad-Free

20th February 2012, 08:21 AM |#2  
Flag Springfield, OH
Thanks Meter: 889

More
Thanks so much for this. I was having all kinds of problems! Worked flawlessly!
20th February 2012, 11:19 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 217

More
I'm just wondering, why people still using USB cable for file transfers? There's gazillion threads here about broken USB ports and all of them are reall. I had my self that problem on SGS2 and since then i started to use Wifi Explorer. It's just safer and easier.
Don't take this as thread spoiling, i'm really thankful to everyone who shares info. l'm just trying to warn you, because USB port problem does exist even if you're extremely careful as i am.

Sent from my super Galaxy Nexus plus®
The Following User Says Thank You to MS. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MS. Ad-Free
21st February 2012, 12:21 AM |#4  
Flag Jacksonville Beach, Fl
Thanks Meter: 15

More
I love Wifi Explorer as well but you do run a much greater risk of a corrupted file over wifi as opposed to usb.
x942
21st February 2012, 12:30 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I didn't have to do step 2. All I did was install libusb-dev and install gMTP and it worked.

That said I hate what google did here! I can no longer play music via usb on my car deck because of this
21st February 2012, 03:48 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS.

I'm just wondering, why people still using USB cable for file transfers? There's gazillion threads here about broken USB ports and all of them are reall. I had my self that problem on SGS2 and since then i started to use Wifi Explorer. It's just safer and easier.
Don't take this as thread spoiling, i'm really thankful to everyone who shares info. l'm just trying to warn you, because USB port problem does exist even if you're extremely careful as i am.

Sent from my super Galaxy Nexus plus®

Thanks for the suggestion. I do use that especially since Amazon App store had it as the Free Paid app of the day a few months back. But you still need your wired connection for important files like radios, kernels, and roms. hate corrupted radios
21st February 2012, 11:43 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 217

More
Then i must be lucky, had no corrupted transfers yet (or at least i didn't notice that)
22nd February 2012, 12:49 AM |#8  
Flag Gainesville, FL
Thanks Meter: 70

Donate to Me
More
apt-get install gmtp fails.... I get the following::

Reading package list... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package gmtp

What now? I'm running 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
22nd February 2012, 01:23 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello, I wonder if can I expect a Fedora solution?
22nd February 2012, 02:02 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAG425

apt-get install gmtp fails.... I get the following::

Reading package list... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package gmtp

What now? I'm running 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

I'm sure you did sudo apt-get, right?

gMTP is in the Ubuntu software center. I guess you can get it that way too.
The Following User Says Thank You to loveubuntu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift loveubuntu Ad-Free
23rd February 2012, 01:36 AM |#11  
Flag Gainesville, FL
Thanks Meter: 70

Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up
Yes, any time i know im gonna need sudo multiple times i just run root terminal.... Got it from package manager! Thanx!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)