FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Galaxy Nexus OTG support?

60 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By kumar_r100, Member on 26th February 2012, 02:50 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
how to get Galaxy Nexus (GSM in particular) to work with Samsung USB connector?

26th February 2012, 04:24 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3,141

More
Root
Stick Mount App
Plug It Up

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium App
The Following User Says Thank You to charlieb620 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift charlieb620 Ad-Free
27th February 2012, 02:54 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
You need to root your device if you want to mount external memory thru USB. Officially galaxy nexus will not have this function, unlike GS2 which supports it out of the box. The reasoning is that gnex does not allow expansion memory.

But you can plug in a keyboard on USB OTG for unrooted galaxy nexus. Or else you need to root it and install stickmount to allow external memory

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VanillaToppings For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VanillaToppings Ad-Free
27th February 2012, 03:32 AM |#4  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Also have to be on 4.0.2 or better. If you haven't received the OTA update yet, you'll either have to wait, flash the yakju rom, or flash a custom rom.
18th March 2012, 11:02 PM |#5  
Flag NC
Thanks Meter: 227

More
Does anyone know how it works with CM9 experimental yet? Since CM has root you would think it works. Is it also going to require the stick mount app? Assume the Y cable with external power is needed in all cases?
19th March 2012, 12:11 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy

Does anyone know how it works with CM9 experimental yet? Since CM has root you would think it works. Is it also going to require the stick mount app? Assume the Y cable with external power is needed in all cases?

I can see absolutely no reason it won't work with any ROM, unless CM9 has some kind of stick mount built in, you will need Stick Mount, yes. You obviously don't need a Y cable for SD cards and adapters and USB sticks. However the phone can't power a 3.5" hard drive, no. So you would of course need an external power supply for the HDD.
19th March 2012, 01:02 AM |#7  
Flag NC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalavere

You obviously don't need a Y cable for SD cards and adapters and USB sticks. However the phone can't power a 3.5" hard drive, no. So you would of course need an external power supply for the HDD.

I hope you're right but I know I read somewhere that it needed power even for the usb stick? Have you had a chance to personally try it yet?
19th March 2012, 01:22 AM |#8  
Developers Relations / Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 11,414

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I hope you're right but I know I read somewhere that it needed power even for the usb stick? Have you had a chance to personally try it yet?

It does not need power for memory cards or USB flash memory. Yes, I have tried it. Did you read the StickMount thread?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift efrant Ad-Free
19th March 2012, 01:27 AM |#9  
Flag NC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant

It does not need power for memory cards or USB flash memory. Yes, I have tried it. Did you read the StickMount thread?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Yes I read it. But I read it needed power somewhere else. Hey, if you've actually done it that's good enough for me.
19th March 2012, 03:49 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:

Yes I read it. But I read it needed power somewhere else. Hey, if you've actually done it that's good enough for me.

Yup, yup. It definitely works just plugging a USB pen drive directly into an OTG, it's mounted in root/SdCard/usbstorage or something to that effect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalavere For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kalavere Ad-Free
22nd March 2012, 04:12 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 362

More
Any rumors that this might be added to 4.04/4.05 when it drops? I have an aversion to rooting and this sounds simply spectacular.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)