FORUMS

[Q] Google Play Music app - wrong song order on imported playlists

535 posts
Thanks Meter: 94

By foosion, Senior Member on 3rd August 2013, 04:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I use the Google Play Music app to play music that's on my phone (as opposed to music that's in the cloud). If I put a standard extended m3u playlist on the phone, the app shows some of the songs in the wrong order.

Extensive detail of the problem is at http://android.stackexchange.com/que...usic-app/50496

One person who posted there has the same problem.

Do others have the same issue? Any idea how to fix it or at least better diagnose why it's happening?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foosion For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift foosion Ad-Free
5th August 2013, 09:56 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 327

More
Yes, same problem here. Most songs keep in order but some don't.
13th January 2014, 07:41 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
It seems to be related to either the length of playlists, mistakes in the playlists, or the use of subfolders. It doesn't seem that fixing the play list fixes the sort order.

My playlists for albums all import fine. I think the largest album I have successfully copied over is about 24 files. The common thread for all these good playlists is that the playlist is in the same directory as the songs in the list.

But I do get playlists that are screwed up.

The latest was 65 songs long and had some mistakes in it (misspelled filenames). It also had songs from the folder I put the playlist in as well as songs from some subfolders. When I had fixed the mistakes, it still is misordered. I tried deleting the playlist from the phone, then deleting it from Play (it still listed the playlist as if it existed), then recopied it to the phone. I even tried deleting them and renaming the playlist to a new name and copying it back over. No joy. Funny thing is, it always imports in the same (incorrect) order.

There must be a memory leak in their m3u playlist file reader, I imagine related to reading subfolders.
14th January 2014, 01:12 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 94

More
In my case, playlists which play fine in other music players have problems in the Google app, so I doubt the problem is with the playlist. I've only tested long playlists, so that could be the cause.

I'm somewhat surprised Google hasn't fixed this. I've since moved to Shuttle music player, which does everything I want and doesn't have any issues with my playlists.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)