How is 4.2.2 running so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

sergeyotro

Apr 11, 2011
Is somebody facing issue on 4.2.1 when deleting last photo in gallery — camera app is appearing? And if I press back button — there is camera app appearing again, because there is empty album in gallery.

msavic6

Jun 28, 2010
Vancouver
4.2.1 is garbage, it ruined my semi-decent battery life that I had and it gives me random lags and stupid software glitches. I hate being a beta tester for Google.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Reactions: retskrad

l_deadeye_l

May 31, 2006
MI - Metro Detroit Area
I like the new camera that was introduced in 4.2. Otherwise I think I preferred 4.1.2 too. I found it smoother especially in app drawer.

No fair, I did not receive a hardware update with 4.2? :) (j/k)

But seriously, the lagginess in the 4.2 camera app and everywhere else makes me want to go back to 4.1.2. It was so buttery smooth, I did not think it could get any better. But rather than root and downgrade I am hopeful I can keep sane while waiting for the next update.

I agree with another that this is the first android phone I did not root and change Rom's as it did not seem necessary with all the improvements in ICS (until maybe now).

retskrad

Oct 7, 2010
LED is there for people who use the device. But it's not perfect as nothing is.

The thing with Android is that it's extendable and that makes it different from iOS or WP. You can't expect from Google to include everything in the OS.

Umm, yes you can. You pay them $500 for this phone.

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

LED works kinda' randomly. Sometimes it just doesn't turn on. But in general 4.2.1 works great. The most beloved feature (Panoramas) works like a charm. And I cant notice lags or something like this even with load of apps.

I don't think you know what lag means. Android 4.2.1 is full of glitches and lags. For an example, just go to the recent apps list and swipe one app off. If you tell me you dont find lag there, you are a liar.

Last edited:

lionhe

Nov 23, 2011
Umm, yes you can. You pay them $500 for this phone.

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

I don't think you know what lag means. Android 4.2.1 is full of glitches and lags. For an example, just go to the recent apps list and swipe one app off. If you tell me you dont find lag there, you are a liar.

Well, I did exactly this test and I did not notice any lag. I have to say that I never used 4.1.2 on the gnex, but on my previous nexus s. In any case, I cannot imagine the sliding down of remaining apps faster than what I saw.

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus con Tapatalk 2

kennypow3rs

Aug 31, 2011
Houston
To all the people *****ing about lag and blah blah no one is forcing you with a gun to your head to run 4.2.1. You do know you can just run 4.1.2 or even 4.0 if you want. Complaining all day isn't going to fix the problems any faster. So relax and let the kinks be worked out. When iOS 6 came out it was also buggy but apple is working them out. I know I have an iPad 3. I mean you're mad at a company that will never care or see your comments lol. It will get better with time...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Wh1t3Rose

retskrad

Oct 7, 2010
To all the people *****ing about lag and blah blah no one is forcing you with a gun to your head to run 4.2.1. You do know you can just run 4.1.2 or even 4.0 if you want. Complaining all day isn't going to fix the problems any faster. So relax and let the kinks be worked out. When iOS 6 came out it was also buggy but apple is working them out. I know I have an iPad 3. I mean you're mad at a company that will never care or see your comments lol. It will get better with time...

Seems like you have a fun time and have no problem being Google's lab rat.

M

m.kochan10

No offense but who gives a damn if google will read these comments or not?

Riekr

Sep 9, 2008
ɌɛggiŒmiɭia
I read of a lot of people trying to convince others that 4.2 is laggy and buggy but very few of them which also do a minimum analysis of what they discover.
Some people, me too, are happy with 4.2.1: no lag and almost the same battery life of 4.1.
First of all: to do a correct comparison we should only compare the same ROM and stock should be the one.
The 2nd big point nobody told here is about apps: since I have no lags even in the task switcher, I'm not a liar and I know very well what lag is I can say there must be some other thing eating resources. Most probably a third party app, an app enabled for a country but not for others, a custom kernel (zram comes to mind) or some customization done on the ROM.
The fact is, anyway, that for some ppl the user experience changed but we will be only talking about nothing serious until we don't point down the differences between who says 4.2 is good and who says it is not.
I don't have the power to see in everybody's mobile what is installed but if you really want to help people having issues should post at least a description like:
- description of the problem
- steps to reproduce
- ROM version
- kernel version
- from settings, applications, in use tab: used and free ram and active processes (when you get the issue)

I think that if google messed up something it's not that obvious like saying 4.2 is **** but if you have a problem, want to rollback but still haven't done it this thread should help us to have a better future release.

Just my 2 cents.
Hope it helps.

truongflyson

Aug 21, 2012
I'm using un-official AOKP rom (4.2.1), and battery is really bad now (@.@), but the performance is extremely good, very smooth.
Phone idle use nearly 19% battery. And battery drains very fast

Riekr

Sep 9, 2008
ɌɛggiŒmiɭia
I'm using un-official AOKP rom (4.2.1), and battery is really bad now (@.@), but the performance is extremely good, very smooth.
Phone idle use nearly 19% battery. And battery drains very fast

19% in how much time? I usually get more than 24h on battery, will report phone idle drain at the next recharge but this is influenced on which networks phone connects (2g/3g) and if you for example are travelling (more cell tower switches means more drain).
I'm running stock odexed with air kernel.

truongflyson

Aug 21, 2012
19% in how much time? I usually get more than 24h on battery, will report phone idle drain at the next recharge but this is influenced on which networks phone connects (2g/3g) and if you for example are travelling (more cell tower switches means more drain).
I'm running stock odexed with air kernel.

Yesterday I have to charge 2 times in 24 hours with only 2 hours on screen time per charge.
I search from the Internet that mostly phone has 4 or 5% percent for that phone idle or similar.
Do you know which process take responsibility for Phone Idle, android os, android system?

Riekr

Sep 9, 2008
ɌɛggiŒmiɭia
Yesterday I have to charge 2 times in 24 hours with only 2 hours on screen time per charge.
I search from the Internet that mostly phone has 4 or 5% percent for that phone idle or similar.
Do you know which process take responsibility for Phone Idle, android os, android system?

Can you take a screenshot of in use applications in settings?

No one thats my point. So all you people crying should just give it a rest.

If we have an evidence we can file a bug to Google even if they don't read xda.

Reactions: truongflyson

truongflyson

Aug 21, 2012
Can you take a screenshot of in use applications in settings?

If we have an evidence we can file a bug to Google even if they don't read xda.

Thanks, I just asked for known because now i am using another rom. If this rom has similar problem i will post the picture here.

marko1103

Oct 22, 2011
Zagreb
Im not having problems with battery life at all, I think it`s really decent from morning `till night when I put it to charge (having wi-fi and 3G always on)

On the other hand I`m having 2 small issues:

1. sometimes (really rare but happens) when I answer a call, phone keeps still ringing. Dont know why is this happenning or I am the only one having this issue.
2. Common issue with slow lockscreen response and long waiting to lock when pressing lock button. This was far better on 4.1.2

Hoping that next update will fix this, at least better response on lock screen button.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't have a 4.2 OTA, but I've been running the leaked apps on my Gnex for weeks.
    Here's my impressions:
    Keyboard is great for one-handed typing, I don't care who you are you have to admit that it makes it a little easier to type when you only have one had available and I'm a fan of it.

Camera is alright, I feel like the pictures (at least on the Gnex) didn't look as good as they should've but that was a .apk from a Nexus 4, so it's understandable. Also Photo Sphere works pretty well if you know how to take the pictures correctly and not move the phone around too much.

From what I've seen of the official 4.2 features, lock-screen widgets look really unfinished, quick settings needs some work and the ability to customize it, and I still don't know if HDR is on the Gnex yet.

Overall I'm a little skeptical if this will be a definitive "upgrade" or not.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using XDA Premium HD app

I stopped reading here.
    First Impression after 24 Hours

Preamble: Flashed a fastboot factory images odexed and no root with full wipe

Pro :

- Wifi signal and new Radio it's better. (Europe/France)
    - Wifi option for battery safe work very well.
    - Battery life it's a bit improve. (Not as well as i expected)
    - Camera Effect integrated are very useful, don't need third party apps for common effect.
    - Google Now have a separated shortcut from lockscreen (For me it's Better).
    - DayDream, i Like it.
    - Keyboard it's good, not soo awesome but it's good.

Downside :

- Toogle Widget idea it's good but they need to transform these in a real widget.
    - Battery percentage should be integrated in the battery icons (Why not?? all phone have this option)
    - Lockscreen widget are a good idea too, but they seems too me a little immature.
    - Camera shortcut on widget (Very annoying if you make a mistake on swype).
    - When the lockscreen appears for first second you see that horrible lateral edges.
    - T9 search contacts (I don't know why??).
    - Wallpaper are always the same and some of that haven't the good size to apply.
    - Sound are always the same and very poor loudness (Why???).

What I'd Like :

- Integrated battery % (obv)
    - Lockscreen configurable from Setting an not from the lockscreen so u don't have all that **** on it.
    - An improved sound.
    - The Utopia of battery life ( I have now given up)
    - Wallpaper and sound must be upgrated (Fix the size of some of that).
    - Toogle widget as a real widget.
    - Meteo widget possible in the lockscreen.

For Now it' all. (i hope they do this in a future 5.0)

I know that all of this this maybe will be improved on CM, AOKP, Etc.. Etc.. ; but i always ask to myself WHY???? if a "normal people", it's not my case, don't wanna go through "framework, adb, fastboot, wipe, system, jar, etc... etc..." , must have the possibility of usage his device at least pleasant.
    It's Obvious that for other things u need a CUSTOM ROM.

PS: Sorry for my Bad English, but i think you get the idea.
    It's really smooth and stable for me. Even better than 4.1.2. I like the new styling and I fell in love with new additions right away. Like I mentioned before, I'm a bit bothered by a "recent apps" menu. Everythime I close (slide) an app, it laggs. The whole thing just blinks for a bit. Otherwise, everything runs well.

Oh, and I don't have "pinch to zoom" in Gmail.. checked in the settings, if I missed anything, but nothing... any ideas?
    In GMail settings enable Auto-fit messages to enable pinch zooming.
    I sense a lag after the update; even after two reboots.
    The lock screen is almost rubbish IMHO. Its like having multiple screens with widgets.
    As for the toggle I was expecting much much more. Don't mind the keyboard at all.
    widgets on android are so useless and so are multiple home screens
    and guess whats even more useless? widgets in the lockscreen..

i hope they understand this and rethink the whole UI in android 5.0

I'll get Matias Duarte on the phone immediately. Do you mind if I link to your comment so the ui design team can know who to go to for instructions on how to design Androids next iteration?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2