1,492 posts
Thanks Meter: 270

By ericshmerick, Senior Member on 28th November 2011, 09:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th April 2012, 08:41 PM |#351  
Renton WA
Thanks Meter: 84

More
I'm hoping to switch to this plan when my contract expires, port my number to Google voice and not have to pay for texting or anything. I've been testing google voice and am having great success.

16th April 2012, 09:14 PM |#352  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcojocaru

I'm hoping to switch to this plan when my contract expires, port my number to Google voice and not have to pay for texting or anything. I've been testing google voice and am having great success.

That's exactly what I did. Had I to do it over again I would have just ported my number to the new plan though. Turns out you can only use the Voice app to send text messages from your GV number. That app happens to be complete ass.

I didn't know this because I was coming from Sprint, where the GV number is merged with my Sprint account.
16th April 2012, 10:01 PM |#353  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 1,707

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcase_Fargone

That's exactly what I did. Had I to do it over again I would have just ported my number to the new plan though. Turns out you can only use the Voice app to send text messages from your GV number. That app happens to be complete ass.

I didn't know this because I was coming from Sprint, where the GV number is merged with my Sprint account.

Well yes, of course you can only use your GV # in the GV app lol. You have your separate Messaging app for your carrier SMS. The assumption is this isn't an issue because you're only using your GV #, and would have no use for your carrier one. If you're using your GV # as your primary #, why would you want to use your carrier # (other than MMS)?

I'd have to disagree with the GV app being "complete ass". I'm using it every day with about 99% of my text messages, and its really really good. They've made a couple updates in the last month that have polished it even more. Not to mention that you can seamlessly SMS between the app and the desktop client.
16th April 2012, 11:32 PM |#354  
Renton WA
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by martonikaj

Well yes, of course you can only use your GV # in the GV app lol. You have your separate Messaging app for your carrier SMS. The assumption is this isn't an issue because you're only using your GV #, and would have no use for your carrier one. If you're using your GV # as your primary #, why would you want to use your carrier # (other than MMS)?

I'd have to disagree with the GV app being "complete ass". I'm using it every day with about 99% of my text messages, and its really really good. They've made a couple updates in the last month that have polished it even more. Not to mention that you can seamlessly SMS between the app and the desktop client.

I've used the voice app to troll my brother with cat facts and I agree, it works quite well. I'm actually excited to make this move. I contacted tmobile and they told me that in June I can cancel my account at 100 a line.

By Bundling google voice with the pre paid plan in the OP i will be saving more than 140 a month. Sounds unbelievable
17th April 2012, 07:31 PM |#355  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quick question before I pull the trigger on this $30 plan.

Im currently a Verizon customer with a Nexus....playing around $120 with everything unlimited.

I dont really care if I keep my number since I do everything thru GoogleVoice... I would also be getting the $30 plan.

I'd have to order a SIM Card Activation Kit.

Purchase a new GSM Nexus. Would any GSM Nexus work? I was looking into getting the White GSM Nexus from Newegg. Just wanting to confirm there arent different GSM versions of the same phone.

...once I receive both. I go into tmobile's pre paid activation page and activate the sim card or would it be better to call cust service to set up the correct plan?
17th April 2012, 08:15 PM |#356  
Flag Houston

More
Quote:

Complete ass may have been hyperbole. My primary complaint about the GV app (and GV in general) is the complete lack of an empty trash option. I've found no way, even on the GV desktop site, to clear out trash easily. I don't want my texts sticking around forever. I need to be able to delete them completely right after reading them.
17th April 2012, 08:38 PM |#357  
Flag Huntsville, AL, USA
Thanks Meter: 961

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netou

Im currently a Verizon customer with a Nexus....playing around $120 with everything unlimited.

I dont really care if I keep my number since I do everything thru GoogleVoice... I would also be getting the $30 plan.

Purchase a new GSM Nexus. Would any GSM Nexus work? I was looking into getting the White GSM Nexus from Newegg. Just wanting to confirm there arent different GSM versions of the same phone.

...once I receive both. I go into tmobile's pre paid activation page and activate the sim card or would it be better to call cust service to set up the correct plan?

Most GSM Nexuses will work; the one from Newegg should be fine. You'd just need to be careful of the few carrier-locked ones that are out there - mostly European carriers, I believe.

Yup, you can activate it online. It's really painless. You will need to call customer service afterwards to have your voicemail service turned off (so that missed calls to your GVoice number will fall back to your GVoice voicemail).
17th April 2012, 09:05 PM |#358  
Flag Houston

More
Quote:

The I9250 from Newegg is the one you want. I'm running the $30 prepaid plan on that one myself. Also, it's penta band so it will work on AT&T's network too if you decide 100 minutes isn't enough.
17th April 2012, 09:14 PM |#359  
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Quote:

Any GSM model will do. The white ones are just i9250 with different color back, so they work just the same.

Activating online couldn't be easier. You only have to call in if you need number porting or have a problem. The SIM activation kit is the easiest way to go, and costs you nothing (the prepaid balance is more than the cost of the card)

Quote:

Complete ass may have been hyperbole. My primary complaint about the GV app (and GV in general) is the complete lack of an empty trash option. I've found no way, even on the GV desktop site, to clear out trash easily. I don't want my texts sticking around forever. I need to be able to delete them completely right after reading them.

Any item you put in the trash is automatically deleted after 30 days in the trash. Hardly a reason to judge the entire GV app on the lack of an "empty trash" button. They've made huge strides in improving the GV app lately.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-04-17 at 12.12.58 PM.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	1009853
17th April 2012, 09:22 PM |#360  
Flag Houston

More
Quote:

Any item you put in the trash is automatically deleted after 30 days in the trash. Hardly a reason to judge the entire GV app on the lack of an "empty trash" button. They've made huge strides in improving the GV app lately.
Attachment 1009853

Yeahhhh, 30 days doesn't work for me. I need that stuff gone immediately.
17th April 2012, 10:14 PM |#361  
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Quote:

Yeahhhh, 30 days doesn't work for me. I need that stuff gone immediately.

If you seriously have something to hide in GV.... then I think you shouldn't be using GV. But if you must, its pretty easy to just delete them forever manually. Although I don't see how that's ever a good policy, considering that messages are 2 (or more) way. Recipient(s) have a copy too, and may not be as diligent in deleting them.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)