Thanks Meter: 270

By ericshmerick, Senior Member on 28th November 2011, 08:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
29th June 2012, 01:52 AM |#441  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by urinsane

It appears to be option A. I just put my phone into 2g only mode, checked data usage through T-Mobile.com, and ran a few speed tests on 2g. Checked the T-Mobile site again and data usage had increased.

Sorry to disappoint. It's still a great plan. I use almost all of my data each month due to having no Wi-Fi at work, but have yet to go over.

Thank you! It's great to finally have an answer to this question. It would have been awesome with option B, but at least I know what to expect now.

29th June 2012, 03:47 AM |#442  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 1,707

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkelley

I've been searching all over the web for an answer to the question below. I may just suck at searching, can anyone help me out?

I was looking at the pre-paid T-Mobile plan with 100 minutes and unlimited data (up to 5 gigs, 2g speeds after). This seems like a good deal as I use little voice and nave Google Voice if necessary (via data network).

Just assume I'm speaking about the $30, 5GB Unlimited plan.

How does T-Mobile measure data usage on their Monthly 4G plans?

A. The first 5 gigs period count towards that 5GB limit.
B. Only the first 5 gigs of HSPA+ use count towards the 5GB limit.

If it's B, then that works out great for me. I'd be happy to set my phone to just use EDGE for sync/when the screen is off. That way I'm only tapping into their faster speeds when I actually want to use it.

I know that I can stop sync and become more vigilant on usage, but if I could plan around when I'm actually using data that's going towards my high speed limit, I could more reasonably enjoy using my phone. Let the slower data network handle sync while I get to use the faster one for services that make sense. Like video streaming gaming on a console/handheld via tethering.

Option A. 5GB is 5GB.
8th July 2012, 05:27 PM |#443  
Flag Urbana, Illinois
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Unless you're REALLY, REALLY anxious for that 5GB of data, I'd recommend buying the activation kit directly from T-mobile.com: It costs $0.99 + free S/H and comes with a credit of $3.34 on the account. The free shipping is listed as "2-4 business days" (I received mine in three business days).

The only wrinkle I had was that the automated systems (neither the web and touch-tone one) would recognize my activation code, but the touch-tone system forwarded me instantly to a CSR and I was activated in ~5mins. The entire conversation with the CSR was "Where did you buy your activation kit? We have known problems with direct-from-the-Internet activation kits, so I'll be happy to activate it manually. What's your SIM card's number and your activation kit's number? What's the PIN for your refill card? Here's your new phone number..."

That's a lot less hassle than buying a phone I'm not going to use from Wal-Mart, or, worse, trying to return a phone to them after I've taken the activation kit and SIM out of it.
21st July 2012, 04:09 AM |#444  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Lightbulb
Hello guys

im from germany and driving through the country right now. I bought a galaxy nexus and need a prepaid kit. shipping is not an option. i really want the t-mobile prepaid plan, however can any one tell me what i need to buy at walmart (which prepaid phone i guess) to get the sim + activiation code? im stopping by there later.

thanks in advance!
21st July 2012, 06:06 AM |#445  
Flag Maui
Thanks Meter: 105

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikex

Hello guys

im from germany and driving through the country right now. I bought a galaxy nexus and need a prepaid kit. shipping is not an option. i really want the t-mobile prepaid plan, however can any one tell me what i need to buy at walmart (which prepaid phone i guess) to get the sim + activiation code? im stopping by there later.

thanks in advance!

Any of the cheap "T-Mobile Prepaid" phones should work. They will probably be hanging on a separate display or near the contract phones and should be clearly marked as Monthly 4G or prepaid. I think this was the cheapest one at the store local to me:
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/p...id-Refurbished

There will be a sim card and activation code inside the box. I'd activate it myself online rather than having them do it for me, but that's your call.
The Following User Says Thank You to urinsane For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift urinsane Ad-Free
21st July 2012, 04:22 PM |#446  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikex

Hello guys

thanks in advance!

I have used a $25 walmart t-mobile pre paid flip type phone to activate this plan.

I have also used a $19 activation kit (no phone) from Best Buy to activate this plan.

Online with shipping the activation kit is only $1 ..... but sometimes some folks just need it now, with cash. Walmart or BB both work then.

GL!
25th July 2012, 01:51 AM |#447  
Thanks Meter: 182

More
Quick question , I've heard that if you don't pay for a month using this plan , that will cause you to lose this plan (4g unlim text/web) is that true ?

For example I'm currently paying but lets say next month I'll be out of the states and don't want to be charged but then when I come back will this plan still be available ?
6th August 2012, 07:23 PM |#448  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmgitzFire

Quick question , I've heard that if you don't pay for a month using this plan , that will cause you to lose this plan (4g unlim text/web) is that true ?

For example I'm currently paying but lets say next month I'll be out of the states and don't want to be charged but then when I come back will this plan still be available ?

I believe so - it's for "new activations only". With that being said, you can grab a new $1 SIM and re-activate the plan that way. You're still saving $29 if you go that route.
6th August 2012, 11:35 PM |#449  
Flag Seattle Washington
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Okay, 10 year TMOBILE DM here and I just went to Verizon. However I can clear some air for how the $30 Wally world plan works and clear some wrong info.

1.It is ONLY for new activations and you must either buy prepaid phone and chuck it and use sim and activation code or better yet order from Tmobile the 3 buck activation kit. REMEMBER IT MUST HAVE ACTIVATION NUMBER. Having just a new sim wont do it.

2.You do not have go thru Walmart. You can order activation kit from TMobile, Amazon, Ebay or pay 19.99 for it at Best buy if your in a hurry. YOU MUST HOWEVER ONLY ACTIVATE IT ONLINE AT TMOBILE WEBSITE TO GET THE PLAN! you will see a choice for it when you activate!

3. You must re-fill or auto pay to keep plan going. IF YOU ARE OFF FOR 90 DAYS or more you can not start back up the plan! You would have to buy another activation kit and get new phone number. Just dont let it get turned off for 90 days and you can keep plan forever.

4. You can use any phone that will work on TMOUS system. I DO NOT THINK VERIZON GNEX WILL WORK ON TMOUS HSPA but maybe I am wrong?

5. There is an issue many times when during activation it asks for your phones IMEI number. To bypass this simply put in 9 zeros or nines!
It works everytime!

6. Yes after 5g you get slowed down to 2g or slower like snail! Good luck with even trying to use mail. ITs snail slow!

7. You can not buy extra Data and must wait till next start of new billing to get back phone.

8. GOOGLE VOICE DOES NOT GIVE YOU FREE MINUTES! So many people are wrong about this! However there are free phone internet plans that will give you free minutes over the 100 you get from TMOUS> But they work with Voice and they suck most of the time!

9. TMous prepaid is the best around as you get full cell tower useage and if your in strong TMOUS area its the same service quality as contract customers. Unlike Sprint and ATT that suck eggs on prepaid.

Any questions let me know.
7th August 2012, 01:06 AM |#450  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 1,707

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshark

4. You can use any phone that will work on TMOUS system. I DO NOT THINK VERIZON GNEX WILL WORK ON TMOUS HSPA but maybe I am wrong?

Only GSM phones with 1700/2100mhz 3G bands. Aka a T-Mobile branded device, or one of the few pentaband unlocked devices like the Galaxy Nexus. No Verizon phones will ever work on T-Mobile without serious hacking of a worldphone model. Just stick to GSM phones.

Quote:

6. Yes after 5g you get slowed down to 2g or slower like snail! Good luck with even trying to use mail. ITs snail slow!

You can actually get away with most background data and push notification services when throttled. You get a capped speed of 60kbps down / 150kbps up. You can even switch to "2G only" (EDGE) in network settings and get faster speeds, but with higher ping times. Its completely passable for everything but streaming and non-mobile site web browsing.

Quote:

7. You can not buy extra Data and must wait till next start of new billing to get back phone.

Incorrect. At any time you can call T-Mobile and have them re-start your plan from that day forward. You'll remove your throttle and get another 100 minutes for the regular price of $30.

Quote:

9. TMous prepaid is the best around as you get full cell tower useage and if your in strong TMOUS area its the same service quality as contract customers. Unlike Sprint and ATT that suck eggs on prepaid.

Wouldn't necessarily throw all other prepaid carriers under the bus here. Straight Talk (running on AT&T or T-Mobile) and Simple Mobile (T-Mobile) are well accepted and I've not heard any issues with quality of service on them.
7th August 2012, 02:09 AM |#451  
Flag Seattle Washington
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Buddy I am not incorrect working years for the company it clearly states in the rules you get 90 days to renew off the plan under the Walmart or you will absolutely be canceled and have to buy new activation kit, NO IF's ANDs or BUTTS! I know what I'm talking about!

Oh and straight talk and all Walmarts plans do you suck big time compared to T-Mobile's prepaid that is fact. Read the reviews. As long as you have Tmobile 4g in your area its prepaid can not be beat and not by those contract thru us like Walmarts plan.

You might want to actually read the rules, You will be converted to Pay as you go (like all our pre-paid plans) if you do not pay and let go dormant. Only differance with our $30.00 for 1500 minute and text plan and or our $30.00 Walmart 5g data plan is after 90 days if dormant YOU MAY NOT RE UP on the plans.) We do that to get people off those plans when we can. Its a loss leader so we find ways to dump you. Not fair but fact,

You are in Bellingham. So you know the area. I worked out of corp office in BVue. We had the test towers and even with the best speeds you are correct on your cap speeds. However thats awful speeds. Try doing anything with them. We used to laugh as we would watch our store csr's tell people they would get good 3g speed when throttled. You and I know thats untrue and its edge. It is awful speeds. But hey, its still faster then 4g Wimax on Sprints cell coverage. LOL

I as a district manager might just know alittle more then you on this subject my friend.

http://instoresnow.walmart.com/tmobile.aspx

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/m...-4g-plans-faqs

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Sorry had to wait to get off road and took a look at your reply again. I see I thought you were talking about loosing service not if you ran out of data early.

However your still incorrect! Before we started the monthly Walmart plans we called our pre-paid 'Pay as you Go". For those plans you could at ANY TIME refill or load,. If over 100 bucks you got gold status.

THESE PLANS DO NOT FALL UNDER THAT WINDOW! They are 30 days until auto or manual refill. You can not pay early to restart. And why would you want to? You paid for a month! If you used your data you can not refill data until next bill cycle. However you may add Pay as you go minutes at anytime by adding with a prepaid card. So your partially correct. But you can not add data! You run our then too bad so sad till next billing cycle.

Thats the fact jack!

Lastly, Not trying to get in a pissing match. I have tons of respect for you as I see how much you help people. You know much more then I on most things XDA in development. Thats where I have been happy learning from people like you for 2 years. I however am very versed in the billing as I had to handle upset customers that were given false or missleading information for years. That is my game to play..... Peace

Before I left to Verizon recently. The biggie that I can go on for pages is on what actually has to happen for Tmous to actually blacklist an IMEI or phone. Thats the area where all kinds of wrong info gets out.... Just ask and I will post a thread on that.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)