FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Is it at all possible to use the NFC to emulate RFID cards?

93 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By WhiterThanWhite, Member on 30th November 2011, 01:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
One of the main selling points of the Galaxy Nexus for me is NFC. Contactless payments are starting to pop up everywhere here in London, and when Apple releases an NFC-enabled phone I'm sure progress will be increased massively.

Anyways, my question is whether it is possible to use the NFC of the Nexus to scan my RFID building entry card, save the details as a profile and then emulate the card in order to get me into the building using just my phone?

Is there any software like this? Would it even be ethically sound to release such software?

30th November 2011, 01:19 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 573

Donate to Me
More
From my understanding, this is possible. However, I would imagine the data on your building entry card would have some sort of encryption.
30th November 2011, 01:21 AM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Plainfield
Thanks Meter: 538

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiterThanWhite

One of the main selling points of the Galaxy Nexus for me is NFC. Contactless payments are starting to pop up everywhere here in London, and when Apple releases an NFC-enabled phone I'm sure progress will be increased massively.

Anyways, my question is whether it is possible to use the NFC of the Nexus to scan my RFID building entry card, save the details as a profile and then emulate the card in order to get me into the building using just my phone?

Is there any software like this? Would it even be ethically sound to release such software?

Card emulation is not part of the SDK and not currently available.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium
30th November 2011, 01:28 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 334

Donate to Me
More
Gutted. Would have been handy

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
30th November 2011, 01:53 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
It's not possible for a very simple reason :P Nexus or any other NFC enabled phone cannot read a Visa PayWave or Mastercard PayPass card just like that. They are encrypted and they will transmit the decrypted information only after receiving correct signal from an authorized terminal. I tried it with my Visa PayWave card and all apps are tried say that it's encrypted and they cannot read it. Then I did some research and it turns out that it can only be read by an authorized reader, which makes a lot of sense for security reasons. So to enable NFC payments your bank would need to create an application for the phone,which would emulate the card, just like Google Wallet does. You can't just read a card and use it.

Btw yes you can use the Google Wallet on the Galaxy nexus,and pay with either the Google pre-paid card or you can register a City card if you are in the US and you happen to have one :P
The Following User Says Thank You to gambiting For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gambiting Ad-Free
30th November 2011, 02:05 AM |#6  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw

Card emulation is not part of the SDK and not currently available.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

Damn, that sucks!
30th November 2011, 02:12 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 334

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambiting

It's not possible for a very simple reason :P Nexus or any other NFC enabled phone cannot read a Visa PayWave or Mastercard PayPass card just like that. They are encrypted and they will transmit the decrypted information only after receiving correct signal from an authorized terminal. I tried it with my Visa PayWave card and all apps are tried say that it's encrypted and they cannot read it. Then I did some research and it turns out that it can only be read by an authorized reader, which makes a lot of sense for security reasons. So to enable NFC payments your bank would need to create an application for the phone,which would emulate the card, just like Google Wallet does. You can't just read a card and use it.

Btw yes you can use the Google Wallet on the Galaxy nexus,and pay with either the Google pre-paid card or you can register a City card if you are in the US and you happen to have one :P

Pst. That's not what he asked

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
30th November 2011, 02:19 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 173

More
I'd like the same thing. Being able to use my phone to open the doors at work would be fantastic.
30th November 2011, 02:24 AM |#9  
Richmond, TX
Thanks Meter: 159

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy

I'd like the same thing. Being able to use my phone to open the doors at work would be fantastic.

I hope you didnt mean physically. And no i would not like those encrypted badges with the capability to be on my phone. Consumers have given enough power as is to corporations. I dont need X corporation having legal rights to track my whereabouts every breath i take becuse their encryption is on my personal OR work phone. No dice.

Sent from my samsung gt i9250 which is in the wrong country.
30th November 2011, 04:20 AM |#10  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 79

Donate to Me
More
None of the NFC reader apps that I have tried to use on my Galaxy Nexus can read my smartcards (office doors, public transport card etc). It's a shame ICS doesn't support it but at least now I know why it hasn't been working.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 currently has that. My colleagues use their SG2s to open doors and pay at the office canteen. They can also use them to pay on the public transport system. I presume the NFC smartard emulation is a feature currently in Gingerbread that will eventually come to ICS.

The update that will eventually push ICS to the SG2 must contain NFC smartcard emulation otherwise the users will lose this existing feature.
30th November 2011, 05:05 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 173

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon

I hope you didnt mean physically. And no i would not like those encrypted badges with the capability to be on my phone. Consumers have given enough power as is to corporations. I dont need X corporation having legal rights to track my whereabouts every breath i take becuse their encryption is on my personal OR work phone. No dice.

Sent from my samsung gt i9250 which is in the wrong country.

What on Earth are you talking about? Give power to corporations? Take your liberal soapbox to another forum, plz.

I'm talking about at *MY* work. All of the doors except the front are locked on our building during business hours. The only way to unlock them is to use an employee badge, which utilizes an RFID tag. Being able to have that tag stored on my phone would be an immense help, since I wouldn't have to remember to take my badge out of the car. I can't tell you how many times I've walked across the parking lot before realizing I left the badge in my car.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)