FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Will wiping System in TWRP delete contents of sdcard?

172 posts
Thanks Meter: 32

By blackplague1347, Senior Member on 9th August 2012, 04:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
When I'm flashing a new ROM, I like to install it as cleanly as possible. Usually a factory reset along with wiping cache and dalvik. Doing this, I know my sdcard contents will remain safe. Does wiping system in TWRP wipe out my sdcard as well? If not, I'll start doing that as well. If it does, I guess I won't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackplague1347 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift blackplague1347 Ad-Free

9th August 2012, 04:33 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,093

More
no, only /system.

only time your SDCARD is wiped is if you choose format /sdcard.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zepius For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zepius Ad-Free
9th August 2012, 04:34 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 258

Donate to Me
More
No. Wiping system wipes /system. Wiping internal storage wipes the internal storage. The two don't cross at all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cilraaz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cilraaz Ad-Free
9th August 2012, 04:46 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Thanks a lot, both of you.

For giggles, what does wiping system do? Obviously wipes system, but I mean in terms of flashing a new ROM. How is it beneficial, I guess is what I'm asking.
9th August 2012, 04:53 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackplague1347

Thanks a lot, both of you.

For giggles, what does wiping system do? Obviously wipes system, but I mean in terms of flashing a new ROM. How is it beneficial, I guess is what I'm asking.

it makes the /system partition is clean so there is no remnants of the previous rom.

most rom installs include a script that wipe it, so generally its not needed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zepius For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zepius Ad-Free
10th August 2012, 10:32 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 91

More
You will also lose the contents of /sdcard when you lock/unlock your bootloader. (root)
The Following User Says Thank You to damage98 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift damage98 Ad-Free
18th February 2013, 06:39 PM |#7  
PDX
Thanks Meter: 15

More
I do literally everything except wipe external SD.

Even Format Data.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Art Vandelay For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Art Vandelay Ad-Free
18th February 2013, 07:19 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbosu

I do literally everything except wipe external SD.

Even Format Data.

why did you bump a 5 month old thread?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zepius For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zepius Ad-Free
29th April 2015, 01:28 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepius

why did you bump a 5 month old thread?

For the record, his bump on the 5 month old thread helped me, over two years later.

Thanks everyone.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to baconology For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift baconology Ad-Free
25th September 2015, 08:08 AM |#10  
Flag PUNE
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanks
It is Still helping people like me...Thnx...Keep Bumping
The Following User Says Thank You to BlooDLocatoR For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BlooDLocatoR Ad-Free
22nd January 2016, 01:09 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Same
Can confirm... Keep bumping
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)