Hot swapping batteries

3,298 posts
Thanks Meter: 519

By cmstlist, Senior Member on 21st February 2012, 04:10 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I noticed that the GN works with the charger plugged in and the battery out, unlike other Androids I've owned. The OS freezes after anywhere from 1-60 seconds, but it does work. So then after another reboot I tried plugging in the charger and quickly replacing the 54% charged battery with a fully charged one. Took out the charger again - no freezes at all. But the battery meter still "remembers" the charge state of the old battery.

So is this behaviour by design - Google and Samsung decided it's time to let this happen? - or is it merely an oversight since it confuses the OS?

If I'm in a situation where I'd like to use this trick to hot swap a depleted battery without shutting down, would there be any potential harm? I'm guessing it could bork the battery calibration.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
21st February 2012, 04:21 AM |#2  
Flag College Station, TX
Thanks Meter: 336

More
It wouldn't effect Android, it would effect the battery itself. Battery calibration only happens on the battery itself, Android "battery calibration" that everyone talks about is just the battery stats page that tells you what apps are using what. The battery has a little chip on it that tells it when there isn't enough power/voltage to run.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App
21st February 2012, 04:24 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
That's a good question. I rarely do this and I think because of clearing out the phone often while swapping software I don't get any potential side effects.
21st February 2012, 04:34 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 431

More
Read the user manual, it specifically states not to do this.
Like all things, no one can stop you from doing it, doesn't mean that it isn't a silly idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to s2d4 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift s2d4 Ad-Free
21st February 2012, 05:21 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4

Read the user manual, it specifically states not to do this.
Like all things, no one can stop you from doing it, doesn't mean that it isn't a silly idea.

That leads me to a good question - where is the full user manual for the GSM version, not just the quick start guide? Google doesn't even have it available on their site. Nor does Samsung Canada.

But I did catch the language you were referring to: "Do not remove the battery before removing the
travel adapter. Doing this may cause damage to the device."

Heh okay, oops
21st February 2012, 06:03 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 162

More
I'd say it's a terrible idea to even try to do this.
If your device writes to the internal flash memory just when the power runs out you may end up with a broken file system or even damaged flash cells.
Don't do it.
21st February 2012, 07:19 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valynor

I'd say it's a terrible idea to even try to do this.
If your device writes to the internal flash memory just when the power runs out you may end up with a broken file system or even damaged flash cells.
Don't do it.

But isn't that no worse than doing an occasionally necessary battery pull?

In any case I wasn't describing the power running out at all - this is changing batteries while the phone is on AC power. Laptops have been able to do this safely since forever... Old dumb phones were often able to do it too. This is my first Android on which this actually works - but, true, the manual does advise against.

21st February 2012, 01:21 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
I guess I'm just going to avoid the unnecessary risk. I don't think a 3 minute restart is worth the inconvenience of replacing a phone. Or worse, it running buggy and not knowing why.

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

Btw, I have a surge protector with battery back up (Tampa thunderstorms can be a bitch) and usually run my laptop battery less. It's better for the battery life but if I didn't have the back up battery, it could cause some headaches if the power blacks out.
21st February 2012, 09:21 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 162

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmstlist

Depends, I guess. If the phone has crashed and is in some endless loop doing nothing really, there should be no additional harm from the battery pull.
If only the UI froze but the "core" OS is still working in the background and updating the file system just in the moment you pull the battery .. well, that's really bad luck. :-/
23rd June 2012, 06:41 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Why don't we have external batteries like on cordless drills? Well Palm Pre and some others have it...

Probably a hack here somewhere to manually set the battery level and avoid that risk of getting a crucial customer call in that 3min reboot, no?
24th June 2012, 07:14 AM |#11  
Flag Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Thanks Meter: 335

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmstlist

In any case I wasn't describing the power running out at all - this is changing batteries while the phone is on AC power. Laptops have been able to do this safely since forever... Old dumb phones were often able to do it too. This is my first Android on which this actually works - but, true, the manual does advise against.

You answered your question, the battery pull for the freezing is unavoidable. You need to pull the battery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)