[Q] Nandroid directly to computer w/o sdcard

11,468 posts
Thanks Meter: 11,533

By efrant, Senior Moderator / Developers Relations on 26th February 2012, 03:21 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Is there a way to execute a nandroid backup to save directly to a folder on a computer without saving it first in the sdcard folder on the device?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
26th February 2012, 04:17 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,230

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant

Is there a way to execute a nandroid backup to save directly to a folder on a computer without saving it first in the sdcard folder on the device?

i know of ADB

http://geekyouup.blogspot.com/2011/1...p-restore.html
http://jonwestfall.com/2009/08/backu...pps-using-adb/

you can check for more info on this if you do 'adb', read the part about backup.
26th February 2012, 04:30 PM |#3  
OP Senior Moderator / Developers Relations
Flag Montreal

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk201doesntexist

i know of ADB

http://geekyouup.blogspot.com/2011/1...p-restore.html
http://jonwestfall.com/2009/08/backu...pps-using-adb/

you can check for more info on this if you do 'adb', read the part about backup.

Thanks, but that's not really what I'm looking for. I basically want to do a nandroid backup, but I don't want to have to clear my /sdcard every time in order to do so.

26th February 2012, 04:55 PM |#4  

More
Quote:

I basically want to do a nandroid backup, but I don't want to have to clear my /sdcard every time in order to do so.

I'm not sure I follow you: doing a nandroid backup requires you to delete /data/media?
26th February 2012, 05:14 PM |#5  
Flag Montreal

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I'm not sure I follow you: doing a nandroid backup requires you to delete /data/media?

My 16GB of internal memory is about 14-15GB full. If I want to do a nandroid backup via CWM, it needs about 2-3GB of free space on /sdcard. Thus, I have to free up about 1-2GB if I want to do it. Now, if somehow I can use CWM or some script to do a nandroid and have it saved directly to my PC, I would not have to free up space on my device. Understand?
26th February 2012, 05:22 PM |#6  

More
Quote:

My 16GB of internal memory is about 14-15GB full. If I want to do a nandroid backup via CWM, it needs about 2-3GB of free space on /sdcard. Thus, I have to free up about 1-2GB if I want to do it. Now, if somehow I can use CWM or some script to do a nandroid and have it saved directly to my PC, I would not have to free up space on my device. Understand?

Sure.

CWM doesn't backup /data/media, correct?

ADB would allow you to backup all of that, even app data. You can even use 'dd' to backup full partitions/folders, not sure if you can use dd over adb shell though.
Anyways, can't think of anything else right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to beekay201 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift beekay201 Ad-Free
26th February 2012, 06:10 PM |#7  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 316

More
Perhaps use OTG storage and a Symlink?
If you linked /sdcard/clockworkmod to the OTG it should write direct to your mounted stick...

Target and source would both have to be ext...

Edit: You would probably have to link /data/media/clockworkmod, but you know what I mean...
The Following User Says Thank You to danger-rat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift danger-rat Ad-Free
27th February 2012, 12:59 AM |#8  
Flag Montreal

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Sure.

CWM doesn't backup /data/media, correct?

ADB would allow you to backup all of that, even app data. You can even use 'dd' to backup full partitions/folders, not sure if you can use dd over adb shell though.
Anyways, can't think of anything else right now.

Hmmm... it would be good if we could use dd over adb, but I'm not sure you could specify a folder on your PC as the destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger-rat

Perhaps use OTG storage and a Symlink?
If you linked /sdcard/clockworkmod to the OTG it should write direct to your mounted stick...

Target and source would both have to be ext...

Edit: You would probably have to link /data/media/clockworkmod, but you know what I mean...

Thanks. That would probably work. Ideally though, I would be able to do it with the target being fat/fat32, but I'm not sure that would be possible.
27th February 2012, 05:34 AM |#9  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 316

More
You would probably need a modified recovery?

Other phones write to fat on the sd, but since our virtual sd is ext I'm not sure recovery supports fat (though I suspect Koush writes all his recoveries along the same lines, and modifies as little as possible). Either way, I'm pretty sure symlinking doesn't support fat...

I took a look at Chainfires Stick Mount thread, and he states specifically that it doesn't support ext. He may be a good source though, and he's pretty responsive...
28th February 2012, 02:38 AM |#10  

More
Quote:

Hmmm... it would be good if we could use dd over adb, but I'm not sure you could specify a folder on your PC as the destination.

Yeah, that was the flaw in the whole thing.
mudferret
28th February 2012, 02:50 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Interested in the outcome. OTG and b/u to "external sd" sounds promising, and this thread answers a question I'd been wondering about, is it possible to b/u via adb and NOT have the nandroid saved on the "internal sd" and to the PC instead and then push it to the phone so I have a b/u of my b/u.

Edit: damnit, should've read the last 2 posts, back to the drawing board.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)