NFC - anyone able to read their US Passport?

189 posts
Thanks Meter: 26

By nickles96, Senior Member on 5th January 2012, 04:15 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I grabbed NFC TagInfo from the market. It scans my chase credit card, but can't for the life of me get it to see our passports.
Have the Google wallet apk installed and it works just fine.
Unlocked UNrooted 4.0.2 lte.

Has anyone successfully read a passport?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to nickles96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nickles96 Ad-Free
5th January 2012, 05:48 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 487

More
I haven't gotten it to work on my US passport either. There are some reviews for the app on the market which claim it does. I think for some non-US passports it may?

I also don't know if ALL US passports are using the same RFID. Mine does have the RFID symbol on the front cover, issued 2007, but it doesn't work.
5th January 2012, 06:07 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 83

More
Passports require a PIN to decrypt.

My Norwegian passport does not work either.
5th January 2012, 06:48 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Credit cards with Paywave have NFC, and passports are said to have RFID.
I know NFC is built on top of the RFID technology, but the two may be different..?
5th January 2012, 03:47 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
It works on my Irish Passport
5th January 2012, 05:15 PM |#6  

More
Ummm....isn't it a bad thing if passport info can be grabbed by a guy with a Nexus?

I haven't tried....so somebody re-assure me!
5th January 2012, 05:18 PM |#7  

More
With the aforementioned app, there's a separate section where you can input the bday, passport #, etc. which I think was necessary to get it to read the passport.

I tried filling it out with my own specific information. So I don't think you can directly read anyone's passport without this information punched in already. Regardless, it still didn't work, so not really a concern!

Also, wouldn't the information contained in the chip be similar to what you'd see if someone opened the passport?
5th January 2012, 05:52 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
When I last went through customs at an airport, I remember that the person at the desk first scanned the bottom of the passport with a red laser. This provides the passport number, birth date and passport expiry date. Those details are required to access the information stored in the NFC tag.

In NFC TagInfo, enter your birth date, passport number and passport expiry date in the menu. Once that's saved, tap your passport against your Nexus and make sure you hold it there until your information is displayed - this can take around 20 seconds.

It's pretty cool tapping your passport and then seeing your picture appear on your phone.
5th January 2012, 06:28 PM |#9  

More
20 seconds? Okay, maybe that's the trick. Will try.
5th January 2012, 08:03 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo

With the aforementioned app, there's a separate section where you can input the bday, passport #, etc. which I think was necessary to get it to read the passport.

I tried filling it out with my own specific information. So I don't think you can directly read anyone's passport without this information punched in already. Regardless, it still didn't work, so not really a concern!

Also, wouldn't the information contained in the chip be similar to what you'd see if someone opened the passport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion01

When I last went through customs at an airport, I remember that the person at the desk first scanned the bottom of the passport with a red laser. This provides the passport number, birth date and passport expiry date. Those details are required to access the information stored in the NFC tag.

In NFC TagInfo, enter your birth date, passport number and passport expiry date in the menu. Once that's saved, tap your passport against your Nexus and make sure you hold it there until your information is displayed - this can take around 20 seconds.

It's pretty cool tapping your passport and then seeing your picture appear on your phone.

Ah okay...Thanks for the clarifications!
5th January 2012, 10:18 PM |#11  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnimus1

Ummm....isn't it a bad thing if passport info can be grabbed by a guy with a Nexus?

I haven't tried....so somebody re-assure me!

NFC Has a range of about 4cm. So unless you're REALLY close to the guy...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)