[ROM][5.0.2/LRX22G][AOSP][LINARO/OPTIMIZED] FML: Fork My Life (2015/01/08)

Search This thread

MWisBest

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2010
Green Bay, WI
github.com
[#Intro]
Oh, and now there's these Lollipops I'm handing out. They are free as always, and they are very very delicious.

[#Why]

[#Info]

I need people testing and finding bugs if anything is going to be fixed. I might not have the Bluetooth devices you have, I might not use the camera as much as you, I might not use 4G LTE (or mobile data in general really) as much as you; you get the idea. :)

[#HowTo]

Latest Build
KitKat/Stable: N/A
KitKat/Beta: omni-4.4.4-20141015-toroplus-FML.zip (162.13 MB)
Lollipop/Beta: FML-AOSP-5.0-20150108-toroplus.zip (195.53 MB)

LOLLIPOP INFO:
USE THESE GAPPS: FML-GApps-5.0.x-20150101-tuna.zip (167.81 MB)
They are based on PA's GApps, huge thank you to them!
Known Issues
- Camera can be a little touchy, but it generally works.
Lollipop Changelogs can be found in the post below!

(KitKat) BETA INFO:
Beta builds are using updated GPU drivers (and an updated kernel to go with them) courtesy of @Ziyan, as well as being up to date with the latest stuff from OmniROM. NOTE: YOU CANNOT FLASH A DIFFERENT KERNEL WITH THESE BUILDS.
Currently broken with the new GPU drivers:
- Hardware Video Decoding FIXED 2014/10/06
- Hardware Video Encoding(?) FIXED 2014/10/08
- Camera (PARTIALLY) FIXED 2014/10/08
- The stock camera app (as well as Google Camera) has this weird quirk of crashing when pressing the shutter button to take a picture, however many different camera apps on the Play Store (in particular Camera ZOOM FX) work flawlessly. Video recording is generally OK, however I've been getting some reports of the audio and video being a little out of sync, so your mileage may vary...
See the Changelog post below for..... well..... changelogs.

[#GApps]

Known Issues
- The screenrecord command does not work directly, however it does work via the Power menu.
- There can be a slight (noticeable, but not huge) delay when pressing the Recents or Home button.

[#Thanks]

[#Donations]

XDA:DevDB Information
FML: Fork My Life, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Contributors
MWisBest
Source Code: https://github.com/MWisBest/

ROM OS Version: 5.0.x Lollipop
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
Based On: AOSP

Version Information
Beta Release Date: 2015-01-08

Created 2014-10-13
Last Updated 2015-01-08

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-06-01-39-55.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-06-01-39-55.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 11,641

MWisBest

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2010
Green Bay, WI
github.com
Changelog, News, Etc.

Lollipop Beta Changelogs:
- Updated the camera HAL.
This is going to be a little... fragile, at first, but in the long run it's needed. Stock camera app saves pictures now at least.
You may also notice that there's a 5.1MP resolution now (clear your camera app's data if you don't see it), despite our camera supposedly being 5.0MP all these years. Turns out the sensor's native resolution is indeed a whopping 16 pixels taller and 16 pixels wider than we've been using.

2015/01/04
- Added back some of the classic FML optimizations and more.
Built with -fstrict-aliasing flag, C++11, and the Linaro GCC 4.9 toolchain.
- Updated to AOSP "android-5.0.2_r1" tag.
As usual, the only real change was them bumping the version number.
- Improved flashing.
The speed of flashing the ROM zip is now much faster.
- Superuser is now built-in.
There's no need to flash SuperSU. You can find Superuser in the Settings app. You may have to enable the "Development Settings" menu to see it.
Some apps are a little sketchy with this Superuser though, most notably Titanium Backup. If you have issues, try flashing SuperSU.
- Video playback should be fixed.
YouTube in particular seems OK. If you have some weird format you're playing back locally I cannot make any guarantees though.
- The camera situation has improved and also regressed.
The stock camera is kinda back to the point of where it was with the KitKat Beta builds:
---- Preview works. Saving photos does not work. Video recording kinda works.
--- However:
---- The camera calibration is a little messed up. Long story, but it'll be fixed soon. So your white balance may look kinda funky, among other things.
- Audio quality is improved, with support for 192kHz FLAC as well.
This is possible thanks to a new audio resampler, which doesn't impose the same sample rate restrictions of the stock Android ones. It also has far better quality than the stock Android resamplers.
- WiiMotes can now be paired via Bluetooth.
I used to be a bit of a Wii hacking enthusiast... I think I still need to add some more stuff to make it useable as a gamepad or something, but yeah.
- Fixed location services issues.
- (toro) Fixed switching between 4G/LTE and 3G/CDMA network settings.
- Kernel changes:
Reclaimed 38MB of RAM from the carveout stuff.
Removed HDMI's framebuffer, saving an additional ~16MB of RAM. With Lollipop, MHL/HDMI out isn't working with our old HWComposer, so might as well save some RAM in the mean time.
Added overclocking support, as well as adjusted the stock frequencies a little.
Added the GPU kernel driver back into the kernel, rather than building it as a separate module.
Switched to LZO compression for the kernel. It results in a slightly larger size to the kernel, but it boots faster.
Added the "purple tint fix".
Added compiler flag to tune code for Cortex-A9 CPU.
Built with Linaro GCC 4.9 toolchain.

Older Builds:
2014/11/16
- Fixed the RIL.
(I think, still unsure of toroplus's status.)
There were a few things that went into this, and I can't really take much credit for it other than being persistent in trying to fix it.
1. rild needed a little fix-up to somewhat return it to pre-Lollipop form. Basically Google is forcing Qualcomm's junk upon the world. @dhiru1602 pointed me in the direction of some commits from rmcc to hardware/ril that fixed this part of the problem.
2. The kernel needed a commit to support some new junk related to networking in Lollipop. @Ziyan linked me to the change in question.
- Updated to AOSP "android-5.0.0_r6" tag.
Really the only change is that the build number is bumped to LRX21T.
- Switched out a couple small proprietary binaries with a reverse-engineered open-source version.
Thanks to @stargo who has really been killin' it for the Motorola OMAP devices recently, we now have a reverse-engineered pvrsrvinit binary (the executable that fires up the GPU drivers on boot-up). This is especially important because the proprietary pvrsrvinit wasn't compiled as PIE (position-independent executable). With Lollipop, they're forcing everything to be PIE, which is good because PIE is better from a security stand-point. Previously I had been adding a workaround to enable support for non-PIE, which I now don't need.

2014/11/11
- Switched back to the old OTA package format.
With Lollipop they're now, by default, flashing something similar to a system.img. I switched back to the old format. THIS IS CAUSING VERY LENGTHY FLASH TIMES NOW HOWEVER, I HOPE TO FIX THESE SOON.
- Changed the kernel to build with GCC 4.7.
With Lollipop, Google switched to GCC 4.8. GCC 4.8 has never been kind to the Galaxy Nexus kernel, I'm surprised it was booting at all in the first place.
- Added "Ambient Display".
Apparently I need to add a "pick-up" or "significant motion" sensor for it though, so it displays something when the phone is picked up.
- Fixed chromium crashing.
This fixes Browser crashing upon open, among other things. This fix has been in chromium itself for nearly 4 months now, I don't know what the heck Google is doing to AOSP to make it so FUBAR lately...
- Fixed lag in Recents menu.
Now it's smoother than KitKat's, in my opinion.
- Added back F2FS support.
F2FS is now supported again, HOWEVER, it is NOT supported on the /system partition. It really didn't do any good for /system anyway.
- Updated various icons.
The Dialer icon in particular was bothering me. Other things that aren't visible in the launcher, e.g. SettingsProvider, have been fixed as well.
- Fixed FLAC playback, among other media decoding issues.
Just needed a sync-up in the device tree with one thing that I think Google DID do a nice job of with Lollipop actually.
- Built the ROM with "WITH_DEXPREOPT := true" defined.
This basically has all the system apps compiled before flashing, to cut down on the initial boot-up time which is ridiculously long with ART.
- Changed the "Android is upgrading..." screen to prevent burn-in.
Instead of using the white Lollipop-like look, it now should show up as the old, darker theme.

KitKat Beta Changelogs:
2014/10/15
- Cleaned up the kernel.
Ziyan went over all his work not long ago and cleaned up the commit history and whatnot. He's letting me do the task of merging in the GPU driver stuff, so I'm currently just getting the kernel to a "clean slate" of sorts for other kernel devs to fork and build off of. Basically this should hopefully be the new "stock" or "Google" kernel. As a result, there's some bells and whistles missing from this build. It does however include some new audio updates that weren't in the previous kernel, which leads me to this...
- Changed audio sampling rate to 48kHz.
Previously the sampling rate has been 44.1kHz. The Galaxy Nexus supports 48kHz though! Here's what mainly sparked this change: since KitKat, the UI audio effects (e.x. touch sounds) have been switching over to 48kHz. With the Galaxy Nexus still using 44.1kHz, UI sound playback became kinda sluggish, and this was a big contributor to it. The UI sounds use the "fast track" audio path (where it tries to do as little processing as it can to the audio in order to play it with a minimum amount of latency), however a requirement of using this is that no resampling (e.g. converting 48kHz to 44.1kHz, like it has been doing currently with KitKat) can be required on the audio being played. Therefore the UI sounds were taking the "deep buffer" audio path, which has a delay to it. In switching to 48kHz, the "fast track" path is actually even faster now than it has ever been previously, and the Galaxy Nexus was already TOP OF THE LINE when it comes to audio latency believe it or not!
Another thing about this is that there is now support for playback of 96kHz audio files.
- Some updates to the camera HAL.
This hasn't fixed the situation of stock and stock-based camera apps crashing when taking a picture, but it's a start on it though.

NOTICE: Poweramp (and probably most other media players that use their own native code for audio playback rather than straight-up using the built-in Android APIs) is being pissy about the sampling rate change. If you experience issues with music playing, especially things like popping or crackling, please try Play Music or Apollo and see if your issue is still present. I know the UIs for Play Music and Apollo are pretty awful, but I can't write my own media player because I'm dealing with this camera stuff! :(

KitKat Stable Changelogs:
N/A

Last edited:
Reactions: RodrigoVladimir

bmbst3alth1

Mar 3, 2010
Manchester
Wonderful

Currently uploading this to my server and will seed until a stable version is uploaded, then I will replace it. Thank you so much for bringing life into an otherwise fading device. :crying::D

Donation sent.

Reactions: MWisBest

uconnpat

May 15, 2008
I've always wondered about this rom as I saw it on the toro thread... will give it a whirl

musical_chairs

Mar 6, 2012
Finally got FML up for you toroplus guys! Sorry for the long delay.

Running good so far! I dirty-flashed over the official Omni build I've been running. No problems to report outside of the expected camera weirdness. Play Store camera apps are all over the map in their behavior - CameraZoomFX works perfectly as you reported, Google Camera crashes like the stock camera, Focal doesn't have any display at all. Video recording works but the audio is a bit out of sync, playback is a little choppy on the phone but is smoother on my computer. VideoCam Illusion (which does its own video encoding via software) does not work at all. Video hangouts seem to work fine.

Also, I used the torch quite a bit today, and at one point it quit working and I had to reboot to get it back. It's a bit early to tell, but I'm suspicious that this ROM is affected by the same 'Camera quits working' bug as Ziyan's 'stable' OMAP kernel.

Anyway, thanks again for your amazing work!

bmbst3alth1

Mar 3, 2010
Manchester
I had the same Torch issue as stated above, fixed with a reboot. Im currently running on Ting/ a Sprint MVNO and they are known for having APN issues with 4.4.x roms. When switching to LTE in the settings, the dialer app would crash loop until I switched back to 3g/2g. Flashing an APN zip on their forum fixed the crashing, but havent been able to tell if 4g actually connects as its pretty shotty coverage in my area. But I thought Id share incase someone else is on Ting.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Coming from CM 11 I guess I have been lucky as far as not having to do my own work as far as updating the Sprint Profile, and PRL as it was still within the system settings. I have been unable to figure out how to update Profile/PRL on my own as of yet. Any chance one of you may want to share this info? I'd greatly appreciate it.

bloopblah

Mar 4, 2009
The ROM is running smoothly with a few hiccups. I have ran into a few problems. Here's some of them that I have found so far:

1. I currently don't have root.
2. The options to "Uninstall/App info" is there but the texts aren't visible.
3. 3G to LTE switching isn't working on the 20141015 nightly build. It was on the 20141014 nightly build.
4. No Up/Down icon on the signal.

Last edited:

musical_chairs

Mar 6, 2012
The ROM is running smoothly with a few hiccups. I have ran into a few problems. Here's some of them that I have found so far:

1. I currently don't have root.
2. The options to "Uninstall/App info" is there but the texts aren't visible.
3. 3G to LTE switching isn't working on the 20141015 nightly build. It was on the 20141014 nightly build.
4. No Up/Down icon on the signal.

1. Root works here on FML. THe official build of OmniROM does not include superuser, you need to flash it yourself from recovery.
2. That's been a longstanding bug with Omni on toroplus for some reason.
3. There's no 20141014 build of FML for toroplus - are you using the Omni official build?
4. That's turned off by default - Settings/Bars/Activity Indicators.

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
Alright, another new build to try out! I will have a couple of ROMs to try on my GNex which is a good thing!
@MWisBest...hopefully you get some donations coming in as well as Musical_Chairs since you guys are putting time and effort into providing new goodies for us.

Hopefully you get some $$$ coming in. It's going to be about a week for me to donate. One thing people don't realize is that donations don't exactly flood in for devs. I released 4 Venum Ice ET4G ROMs and 2 fully inverted black and white Note 2 ROMs including icons, all inverted apps etc. I actually got over 1000 downloads on all 6 ROMs within the first 24 hours and had excellent feedback.... I received a total of 3 donations totaling $12! Lol. What you guys are doing is harder so hopefully some people who are still here show you guys some love for not making this a thread that got closed for inactivity.... Thanks again to both of you.

Sent from my Knox-Blocked P.O.S Tab 3 running same hardware as my GNex using Xparent Gray Tapatalk 2

cr08

Nov 2, 2009
Wanted to give this rom a shot mainly due to the updated GPU drivers. So far a very smooth experience and pleased with it except for one major bug for my use case: Any video playback either Youtube, MX Player, etc.. after some uptime seems to fail entirely. In the case of YT it'll just sit at a black buffering screen. It'll buffer the data fine going by the progress bar as I've at times had about 1/4 of a 10-15 minute video buffer going by that indication with no playback. If I reboot the phone and give it another shot, it works.

musical_chairs

Mar 6, 2012
Wanted to give this rom a shot mainly due to the updated GPU drivers. So far a very smooth experience and pleased with it except for one major bug for my use case: Any video playback either Youtube, MX Player, etc.. after some uptime seems to fail entirely. In the case of YT it'll just sit at a black buffering screen. It'll buffer the data fine going by the progress bar as I've at times had about 1/4 of a 10-15 minute video buffer going by that indication with no playback. If I reboot the phone and give it another shot, it works.

That's the same issue as the torch issue mentioned above. It's a hard bug to track down because it takes so long to show up, and AFAIK nobody has found a reliable way to trigger it (other than just wait a day or two for it to show up). If somebody can figure out how to trigger it more quickly, I would like to try a git bisect on Ziyan's stable OMAP kernel (which is affected by the same bug) and see if I can pinpoint what is actually causing it. But without a reliable way to tell if a particular test kernel is good or not, a bisect is more or less useless.

Reactions: namtombout

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [#Intro]
    Oh, and now there's these Lollipops I'm handing out. They are free as always, and they are very very delicious.

[#Why]

[#Info]

I need people testing and finding bugs if anything is going to be fixed. I might not have the Bluetooth devices you have, I might not use the camera as much as you, I might not use 4G LTE (or mobile data in general really) as much as you; you get the idea. :)

[#HowTo]

Latest Build
    KitKat/Stable: N/A
    KitKat/Beta: omni-4.4.4-20141015-toroplus-FML.zip (162.13 MB)
    Lollipop/Beta: FML-AOSP-5.0-20150108-toroplus.zip (195.53 MB)

LOLLIPOP INFO:
    USE THESE GAPPS: FML-GApps-5.0.x-20150101-tuna.zip (167.81 MB)
    They are based on PA's GApps, huge thank you to them!
    Known Issues
    - Camera can be a little touchy, but it generally works.
    Lollipop Changelogs can be found in the post below!

(KitKat) BETA INFO:
    Beta builds are using updated GPU drivers (and an updated kernel to go with them) courtesy of @Ziyan, as well as being up to date with the latest stuff from OmniROM. NOTE: YOU CANNOT FLASH A DIFFERENT KERNEL WITH THESE BUILDS.
    Currently broken with the new GPU drivers:
    - Hardware Video Decoding FIXED 2014/10/06
    - Hardware Video Encoding(?) FIXED 2014/10/08
    - Camera (PARTIALLY) FIXED 2014/10/08
    - The stock camera app (as well as Google Camera) has this weird quirk of crashing when pressing the shutter button to take a picture, however many different camera apps on the Play Store (in particular Camera ZOOM FX) work flawlessly. Video recording is generally OK, however I've been getting some reports of the audio and video being a little out of sync, so your mileage may vary...
    See the Changelog post below for..... well..... changelogs.

[#GApps]

Known Issues
    - The screenrecord command does not work directly, however it does work via the Power menu.
    - There can be a slight (noticeable, but not huge) delay when pressing the Recents or Home button.

[#Thanks]

[#Donations]

XDA:DevDB Information
    FML: Fork My Life, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Contributors
    MWisBest
    Source Code: https://github.com/MWisBest/

ROM OS Version: 5.0.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Beta Release Date: 2015-01-08

Created 2014-10-13
    Last Updated 2015-01-08
    New build should be out either Monday or Tuesday. There will be a plethora of fixes and improvements. Sorry about being away from XDA for a while, just been really busy with school and any time I have for FML has been spent on dev stuff rather than the XDA threads!
    Hey toroplus dudes. I released a Lollipop build for toro and maguro, but I'm too tired to wait 4+ hours for the toroplus build to complete. I'm going to catch-up on sleep now, hopefully it all builds OK and then I can upload it whenever I wake up finally. It sucks making you guys wait like this, but I'm just out of fuel right now! :(
    I see there have been some bugs discovered with the recent build, so I'm planning on doing a new build fixing what I can and then updating the OP with that build instead. I also have something special planned for the next build as well... for those of you who follow my GitHub, please don't spoil it! It might not be ready in time, but it's coming along quicker than I thought...

I'd like to thank those of who you have been patient waiting for the new build and not asking when it'll be out etc. I do know it's frustrating for you guys when I give a timeframe on when a new build will be ready and I don't deliver though, however lately the pestering for when a new build will be out has gotten out of hand. I'm usually pretty good with handling things like that which would cause most other devs to basically yell and scream at their users... for example, when people report bugs I'm not one to say "logcat or it didn't happen". At least 90% of the bugs reported are something I can reproduce myself! Why the hell should I need the user to get the logcat when I can get one myself? But anyway, I hope those of you who have been pestering for ETAs can be a little more patient from now on.

I'd also like to thank those of you who have donated to me lately. I usually try to send out thank yous to them when I update the FML thread, but I'm sad to admit that lately I've fallen behind with that. My problem is that I like each thank you to be different and not just a copy and paste generic BS sorta thing, but I'm running out of things to say because there have been so many donations since the GPU driver updating and Lollipop release. Before I update the FML thread next, I will be sure that everybody has been thanked personally.
    The donation money has been so helpful lately with me being sick too; I've been able to get food and drinks that are easier for me to digest and keep down.
    I'm feeling terrible. I don't have the energy to update the thread, but the new build is uploaded here:
    FML-AOSP-5.0-20141207-toroplus.zip (201.89 MB)

A new GApps package isn't quite ready yet. I believe PA has a Lollipop GApps package up that may work as-is and would be better than the one I'm currently linking to, so give that a try if you're impatient.
    I also have a TWRP build on the way as well.

Short changelog on the new build:
    - Superuser is now built-in, no need to flash SuperSU. It's in the Settings app. You may have to enable the "Development Settings" menu to see it...
    - Video playback should be fixed. YouTube in particular seems OK. If you have some weird format you're playing back locally I cannot make any guarantees though.
    - The camera situation has improved and also regressed. The stock camera is back to the point of where it was with the KitKat Beta builds:
    ---- Preview works. Saving photos does not work. Video recording works.
    --- However:
    ---- The camera calibration is a little messed up. Long story, but it'll be fixed soon. So your white balance may look kinda funky, among other things.
    - Audio quality is improved, and 192kHz FLAC files will now play:
    ---- This is possible thanks to a new audio resampler, which doesn't impose the same sample rate restrictions of the stock Android ones.
    ---- It also has far better quality than the stock Android resamplers.
    - Kernel changes:
    ---- Reclaimed 38MB of RAM from the carveout stuff.
    ---- Removed HDMI's framebuffer, saving another ~16MB of RAM. With Lollipop, MHL/HDMI out isn't working with our old hwc, so might as well save some RAM in the mean time.
    ---- Added overclocking support, as well as adjusted the stock frequencies a little.