By toddrosenberger, Member on 29th February 2012, 04:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
1st March 2012, 02:39 AM |#11  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 1,707

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrosenberger

So after 5gb are you throttled or are there overage fees? Im assuming throttled since it's called unlimited.

no overage fees.

Quote:

And simple mobile uses tmobiles network, correct?

Correct.
1st March 2012, 02:45 AM |#12  
Flag Saint Cloud MN
Thanks Meter: 97

More
My question for anyone using the gnex and ST is, does the phone use T-Mobiles network or atts? I read you can use either a T-Mobile or att phone and was wondering since the gnex is pentaband if you could potentially bounce from one network to the other based on which one had better signal? Thanks in advance guys.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
1st March 2012, 02:46 AM |#13  
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh2004

My question for anyone using the gnex and ST is, does the phone use T-Mobiles network or atts? I read you can use either a T-Mobile or att phone and was wondering since the gnex is pentaband if you could potentially bounce from one network to the other based on which one had better signal? Thanks in advance guys.

You choose when you start the service whether you're going to get an AT&T SIM or a T-Mobile SIM (they can pick for you based on your zip code, but you can choose manually). You can't bounce back and forth, because the SIM is only provisioned for AT&T towers or T-Mobile towers. There's no roaming between the two.

When you order, its easy to tell. In the cart it will say "AT&T compatible SIM card" or "T-Mobile compatible SIM card".
The Following User Says Thank You to martonikaj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift martonikaj Ad-Free
1st March 2012, 06:19 AM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 274

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrosenberger

i called but can't get a straight answer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Lol. #notsosatraighttalk

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to ericshmerick For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ericshmerick Ad-Free
1st March 2012, 02:57 PM |#15  
Flag Saint Cloud MN
Thanks Meter: 97

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by martonikaj

You choose when you start the service whether you're going to get an AT&T SIM or a T-Mobile SIM (they can pick for you based on your zip code, but you can choose manually). You can't bounce back and forth, because the SIM is only provisioned for AT&T towers or T-Mobile towers. There's no roaming between the two.

When you order, its easy to tell. In the cart it will say "AT&T compatible SIM card" or "T-Mobile compatible SIM card".

Thank you kindly sir.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
1st March 2012, 03:14 PM |#16  
NYC
Thanks Meter: 2

More
straight talk is great as long as nothing goes wrong (which luckily is my case)
faster data speed than simple mobile and very good coverage
however their customer service is non-existent
calling them is a waste of time
try their facebook page if you really wanna have something done
much more responsive (they probably won't fix your problem immediately but at least they are responding)
1st March 2012, 09:56 PM |#17  
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh2004

Thank you kindly sir.

Most welcome, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLOUDFAn

straight talk is great as long as nothing goes wrong (which luckily is my case)
faster data speed than simple mobile and very good coverage
however their customer service is non-existent
calling them is a waste of time
try their facebook page if you really wanna have something done
much more responsive (they probably won't fix your problem immediately but at least they are responding)

This is true of prepaid carriers. You save money but get no service. I call CS maybe once a year, so I think that's worth saving $40 a month on service.
1st March 2012, 11:01 PM |#18  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Has anyone on straight talk At&t sim tried doing a voice call or video call using Google Talk? when I try I get a message saying I need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network. Anyone else getting this?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
2nd March 2012, 01:14 AM |#19  
Flag Orlando Area

More
I am now using my Galaxy Nexus with Straight Talk on the TMO ST SIM card. Overall its great. One thing I've noticed though are the ping times. On ST I can never get a ping better than 300ms using the speedtest.net app. Also several times when I've woken my phone from idle, I notice it says its not in sync with Google services...the bars are grey and not blue. It usually goes blue again within 30 seconds saying it synced. I think it may be related to the ping issue, as I think ST data goes through a proxy before going out over the TMO network to destination. The data speeds themselves seem the same as they were when I was on Tmobile, but I seem to recall being able to get around 100ms pings or less in the same locations when I was on Tmobile.
2nd March 2012, 01:26 AM |#20  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 376

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint327

I am now using my Galaxy Nexus with Straight Talk on the TMO ST SIM card. Overall its great. One thing I've noticed though are the ping times. On ST I can never get a ping better than 300ms using the speedtest.net app. Also several times when I've woken my phone from idle, I notice it says its not in sync with Google services...the bars are grey and not blue. It usually goes blue again within 30 seconds saying it synced. I think it may be related to the ping issue, as I think ST data goes through a proxy before going out over the TMO network to destination. The data speeds themselves seem the same as they were when I was on Tmobile, but I seem to recall being able to get around 100ms pings or less in the same locations when I was on Tmobile.

Would changing your apn settings help out at all? I have a recommendation but I'm not sure how much difference it will make.

2nd March 2012, 03:23 AM |#21  
Flag Orlando Area

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan3579

Would changing your apn settings help out at all? I have a recommendation but I'm not sure how much difference it will make.

I figured that I had to use the apn settings provided by straight talk in order for my data to work. Is there a backdoor apn lol
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)