Creative uses for NFC tags

Search This thread

angelino0919

Mar 31, 2011
I figure we should start a thread of all the creative things that you guys are doing with your NFC tags. You should list what you are using them for and what apps you are using to make them work.

xtkxhom3r

Oct 10, 2007
this is still a WIP but i wanted to make a tag where it would turn on the app for the griffin wifi to ir bridge and send a command to turn on my tv,amp,xbox all over ir

should be easy im just waiting for the griffin bridge and the nfc tag...

xtkxhom3r

Oct 10, 2007
there are ir auto door locks where you can open your door with a ir remote like a car remote... so what you do is you get a wifi to ir griffin box and you setup a nfc tag outside of your house and there you go lol...

dmonzel

Aug 24, 2009
I've used NFC Tag Launcher to turn the POS Verizon car dock into something better: Launch Car Home, disable wifi, enable bluetooth, adjust ring, notification, and media volumes, and then to play a clip of Jim Gaffigan screaming "BAAAACOOOON!" to let me know everything has been set. I've still got a handful tags, so I'm looking forward to finding something new with them.

Redflea

Nov 23, 2009
I've used NFC Tag Launcher to turn the POS Verizon car dock into something better: Launch Car Home, disable wifi, enable bluetooth, adjust ring, notification, and media volumes, and then to play a clip of Jim Gaffigan screaming "BAAAACOOOON!" to let me know everything has been set. I've still got a handful tags, so I'm looking forward to finding something new with them.

Is there a way to have a tag be a toggle? I'd like my nightstand tag to put my phone into night mode when i tap it at night, and then put it back into day mode when I tap it a second time in the morning.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Dakota0206

Sep 17, 2011
www.okc-tech.com

I am going to do this too. Well except for the bacon part. I ordered my tags today!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Verizon 4G LTE.

akellar

Jan 9, 2011
Iowa
Is there a way to have a tag be a toggle? I'd like my nightstand tag to put my phone into night mode when i tap it at night, and then put it back into day mode when I tap it a second time in the morning.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Very easy to do via the app mentioned before.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

LordNickerchen

Jun 18, 2010
In a german forum i read about someone who out sticked a NFC-tag into his cookbook directly next to the recipe for muffins: The NFC-tag started a timer counting down the oven-time, so he didn't had to watch for the mussins in the oven ^^

rolandroland

Jun 23, 2008
Car Home?

You have the Google 'Car Home' app working? It won't load from the market for me. Are you using an apk or a different app altogether?

Dakota0206

Sep 17, 2011
www.okc-tech.com
Tagstand. Got them in two days too. Any of the tags work. Get them formatted if not on 4.0.3 though.

I used tagstand.com as well. I ordered these tags pre-formatted. I recommend tagstand.com, It was very simple to order!

You have the Google 'Car Home' app working? It won't load from the market for me. Are you using an apk or a different app altogether?

I am using the Gummynex ROM currently and the car dock app is built in. You might give it a shot, its a great ROM.

Reactions: arnmsctt

Redflea

Nov 23, 2009
In a german forum i read about someone who out sticked a NFC-tag into his cookbook directly next to the recipe for muffins: The NFC-tag started a timer counting down the oven-time, so he didn't had to watch for the mussins in the oven ^^

Love that...Guy must bake a lot of muffins. :)

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's what I've set up:

Entering Home (just inside my front door): Turns on WiFi, connects to home WiFi, Ringer off Silent/Vibrate and full volume, Turns on Bluetooth.

Leaving Home (A separate one, just inside my front door): Turns off WiFi/Bluetooth, puts phone to vibrate.

Car Dock: Turn on Bluetooth, Disable WiFi, Launches "Car Home" app in landscape (essentially a car dock)

Night Stand: Turns on WiFi and Bluetooth, Sets Alarm, Turns phone to silent and screen to lowest brightness. Lastly, launches Zeo app (for sleep manager...I got a Zeo Mobile for XMass)

Desk at Work: Enable WiFi and connect to dirty internet (over intranet), turns phone to vibrate, enables Bluetooth and connects to headset (I take a lot of calls at work).
    *Manually forward all calls from desk phone to cell phone at this point*

Armband: Turns off WiFi/Bluetooth and launches running playlist. Launches Endomondo. **

Bike Mount: Same as running armband but I have a different playlist for it. **

**There are bluetooth heart monitors for those interested in getting this to sync up automatically...I just happen to have some that use ANT+ and a Garmin watch.

Business Card : I don't actually give this out but I do have 2 business cards. 1 has vCard information (1k) and the other has a website with my resume on it (144 bytes).

Ideas that I have heard/had but haven't put to use:

Updating FourSquare at a restaurant.

Checking into a location on Facebook.

Movie Theaters having tags that link to a trailer for a movie (on posters outside or inside)

Similar to the one above, have tags in stores that pull up websites for more information on a product (tag on price tag attached to shelf).

Donate $1 to charity at stores (granted that takes a bit more trust...but it should be done to pull up just a donate button for paypal rather than just complete a transaction and hope it's only $1).

Website link to a street performer's site to buy music via iTunes/Google Music/whatever.

Link to Android Market with a store's app.
    I made a tag for use with Tasker profile to punch in and out of work, then it adds it to my google calendar when I punch out. Better than my previous solution: post-its.
    Ok guys seriously, almost no one is suggesting what to do with the NFC tags. Please stop asking questions and posting nonsense. If you need to ask questions about NFC tags go look for a thread with the correct info.

You mad bro? Take a deep breath. It's not your thread and your not a mod. People asking questions isn't hindering you in anyway. Relax.

To tell you what I do with tags (since it apparently is your requirement for posting in this thread); I have one at my door that on tap 1 - turns on wifi and turns down volume. On tap 2 - turns off wifi and turns volume up. I also have one in my car that turns media audio volume up and starts Pandora.
    Earlier in this thread a guy said his plays a sound when everything is done. I'd like it so after I use the tag my phone makes a noise of reassurance

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Tasker combined with NFC Task launcher is your friend mate. The good thing with using tasker is that you can set an endless amount of actions into a single taker task and then there is only one thing to pop into the NFC launcher tag. I got a few sample tags which are only 64bytes (?Bits?) .. and if i try to launch them all with the NFC task launcher there are too many to fit on the tag but if i use tasker they fit easy- a task with tasker takes the same amount of space on the tag no matter how big/long the task is.