Here is a version of the stock ICS/GN launcher modded to remove the search bar and reclaim that space in portrait mode by providing a 4x5 grid. The search bar is hidden, the grid is increased to 4x5 and the margins are all adjusted to compensate.Compatibility
- Version 3.0 is for ROM's prior to 4.0.3 (includes landscape support)
- Verison 4.0 is for ROM's with Android 4.0.3 or later (landscape support coming soon)
- Google search bar removed from home screen
- Search still works as expected
- Choose 3, 5 or 7* (*experimental) home screens!
- Great with Paul's search button mod available here
- 4x5 grid enabled in portrait mode to reclaim the search bar space
- Vertical grid height reduced slightly to accommodate 5 rows
- Landscape (where available) remains 4x4 (4x5 doesn't fit without scaling) so bottom row is chopped off (gracefully)
- Transparent folders by Evostance included in version 4 and up!
Optional Stock Folders
- Works on most ICS roms (you may experience problems with smaller resolution screens)
- Install an alternative launcher first so you have options if this does not work!
- Boot to CWM recovery and make a backup
- Select one zip file from this list:
Version 3 (for pre-4.0.3 ROMs)
Version 4 (for 4.0.3 and above ROMs)
- Flash the selected zip in recovery
- Hit thanks below if it works out for you and please provide feedback
The latest mod includes transparent folder backgrounds, if you'd prefer the stock/standard black circular ones then follow the link below.Credit & Thanks
- Instructions to revert to stock icons: click here
Launcher Tweaking Instructions
- Evostance for providing me with the 4.0.3 framework and launcher to work with as well as the transparent folder pngs!
- Paul @ MoDaCo for including this mod in the MCR kitchen...
The method to achieve this mod with the stock launcher is substantially more complex since Android 4.0.3 so I've provided some instructions in the document linked below. I can't promise these will stay relevant and you need to have some pre-existing knowledge before you can start but they should help.
Tweaking the ICS Launcher (xda post)
If this helps you also, then consider hitting 'Thanks' below.