FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[SCRIPT] Random Boot Animations

5,648 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,618

By djmcnz, Retired Recognized Developer on 8th January 2012, 09:12 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Introduction
Here's a repackage and repost of my modified Random Boot Animation script. This was originally conceived by Nighthound many moons ago and was long abandoned. I picked it up and modified it for my Kang-o-rama ROM and the Optimus 2x.

And here it is for you Galaxy Nexus pleasure!
What it Does
There are various apps out there that can achieve the same result but this is a simple script that uses a random number generator to swap in a random boot animation each time you boot. The script runs one just before the animation and never again until you boot the next time.

You can have any number of animations that will randomise and you can also set a flag to have just one run without needing to delete the others.
How it Works
The script executes on startup, generates a random number, assigns this number to a boot animation stored in /data/local/bootanimations/, copies that animation to /data/local/bootanimation.zip and let's Android take over from there. Android will automatically prefer /data/local/bootanimation.zip to the one stored by your ROM in /system/media/.

You just put any valid boot animation in /data/local/bootanimations/ - calling it what you wish - and the script will do the rest. You should not try and call all of your boot animations "bootanimation.zip" - you need to give them a unique name.
Installation
Upon installing the script will automatically back up any custom animation you have in /data/local/ to /data/local/bootanimations/CustomAnimBackup.zip and this animation will be among those randomly selected.
  1. Download one of the files below
  2. Flash from recovery
  3. Reboot and enjoy
  4. Hit 'Thanks' below
System Requirements
This script will run on any custom Galaxy Nexus ROM with init.d support (which is most).
Notice
Some boot animations are distributed within another zip archive. You need to extract the bootanimation.zip file from that archive and rename it before you put it in the bootanimations directory.
Downloads

Update 08 July 2014

The script, in install.zip format has been attached to this post.
Single Animation Flag
If you want to view a single animation only you can do so without moving or changing any of the other files.

Simply Create a file called "bootanimation.use" in /data/local/bootanimations/. In this file place a single line with the filename of the boot animation you want to use. For example:

Code:
CustomAnimBackup.zip
When you want to revert to random animations again delete "bootanimation.use" from the directory.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RandomBootAnimationsScriptOnly.zip - [Click for QR Code] (156.0 KB, 563 views)
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to djmcnz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift djmcnz Ad-Free

11th January 2012, 06:26 PM |#2  
Flag Outer Heaven
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Oh this is very cool! Will test it out shortly. Thanks.
14th January 2012, 02:58 AM |#3  
Albuquerque
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I rather enjoy bootanimations. Thank you for this lovely script!
14th January 2012, 06:05 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Quote:

This script will run on any custom Galaxy Nexus ROM with init.d support (which is most).

Does this mean it doesn't work on rooted stock?
14th January 2012, 07:57 PM |#5  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Auckland, NZ

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieflanders

Does this mean it doesn't work on rooted stock?

Correct. You need a custom kernel at minimum and a /system/etc/init.d/ directory.
15th January 2012, 12:18 AM |#6  
Flag london
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmcnz

Correct. You need a custom kernel at minimum and a /system/etc/init.d/ directory.

I'm on bigxie build 8 and Franco kernel - and this didn't work for me

I flashed the zip with animations and nothing seem to have happened
15th January 2012, 10:27 AM |#7  
Flag Auckland, NZ

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvraj

I'm on bigxie build 8 and Franco kernel - and this didn't work for me

I flashed the zip with animations and nothing seem to have happened

That's odd. It does log what's happening at boot, know how to get a logcat?
15th January 2012, 10:43 AM |#8  
Flag london

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmcnz

That's odd. It does log what's happening at boot, know how to get a logcat?

Don't but would love to know. Some app? Script? Or cmd on terminal emulator?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App
15th January 2012, 10:48 AM |#9  
Flag Auckland, NZ

More
Quote:

Don't but would love to know. Some app? Script? Or cmd on terminal emulator?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Via adb, it's quite easy:

adb logcat > log.txt

Will save the log to log.txt

Turn phone off, plug in, type command, start phone, wait till boot completes, ctrl+c to stop logging. Attach file here.

Remember to boot a few time first, just to make sure you're not getting random animations.
15th January 2012, 10:32 PM |#10  
Flag london

More
Thanks a lot mate!

Its attached

Also attached, are the screenshots (available at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1446531) that I am having a seperate problem with, not sure if you would know but just checking with you.

My screen is all screwed up when it boots, if I stop the launcher and restart it seems to be okay though. Any pointers to what it could be because (if it is glaringly visible in the log file) ?
Attached Files
File Type: zip log.zip - [Click for QR Code] (45.0 KB, 26 views)
16th January 2012, 08:50 AM |#11  
Flag Auckland, NZ

More
Quote:

Thanks a lot mate!

Its attached

Also attached, are the screenshots (available at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1446531) that I am having a seperate problem with, not sure if you would know but just checking with you.

My screen is all screwed up when it boots, if I stop the launcher and restart it seems to be okay though. Any pointers to what it could be because (if it is glaringly visible in the log file) ?

Okay, it doesn't look like your ROM executes init.d scripts... which is required.

Is it this ROM: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1372376

If so that one's a little too close to stock... if you want to run a stock ROM that has init.d support I suggest a free MCR (MoDaCo) ROM.

Can't help with the crazy display sorry...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)