FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOWTO]Unlock, Root, and install CWR Galaxy Nexus with Ubuntu Linux or Linux Mint 12

508 posts
Thanks Meter: 179

By loveubuntu, Senior Member on 20th February 2012, 02:45 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
1st July 2012, 04:28 AM |#11  
Flag Leuven
Thanks Meter: 13

Donate to Me
More
Ordered a Galaxy Nexus too, will definitely be using this guide. Windows guides are confusing.

6th July 2012, 02:17 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceflow

Ordered a Galaxy Nexus too, will definitely be using this guide. Windows guides are confusing.

>Windows guides are confusing
>Windows guides
>Windows

Root of the issue :P

But agreed, this was a good supplement to follow for Ubuntu.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
31st August 2012, 07:30 AM |#13  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 73

More
Thank you for this guide. Some how I like the Linux method better than the Windows ones.

Quote:

12- Use the vol up/down to point the big arrow toward recovery, push the power button to get to Cloclwork Recovery. Once you confirm you have CWR, reboot the phone normally and let Android OS create all the folders it needs. Once at start up screen, pull the battery to turn phone off, and then get to bootloader by holding vol up/down and power button in. Use the vol up/down to point the big arrow on sceen toward recovery. While in recovery, make sure your terminal prompt still shows the Downloads directory (or where the su and recovery files were downloaded to). Now type: (note the space between zip and /data)

This step is confusing. While in recovery should be replaced by "Hit Power button to enter ClockworkMod Recovery"
Otherwise people may mis-interpret by "Stay in fastboot and position the big arrow on top to Recovery Mode"

In my case (GNex GSM stock JB 4.11):
adb push su.zip /data/media
or
adb push su.zip /sdcard

did copy su.zip successfully but could not be listed by ClockworkMod Recovery menu when selecting "choose zip from sd card". I had to do this:
Code:
adb push su.zip /sdcard/Alarms
And, within the ClockWorkMod Recevery menu, select "choose zip from sd card"
Land on another screen where I could navigate to Alarms folder and see the su.zip there.

Quote:

Now go ahead and install su.zip through clockwork recovery's menus. Pretty self explanatory (choose zip from sd card). The su.zip should be now in the root of your virtual sd card.

Sorry for being picky but personally, it is NOT self explanatory for me. I was expecting a menu item in CWM Recovery menu to say "Install su.zip". Actually you must navigate in the file system and select the su.zip yourself. Ok, may be that seems obvious now that I know what to do. But on the moment, I was worried I screwed up something because I needed to do some extra manipulations while you said that should be "self explanatory".

Quote:

4- Now download Clockwork Recovery from here

You may want to up date the link, ClockWorkMod now has a Recovery program which is touch sensitive:
GSM: http://download2.clockworkmod.com/re...1.0-maguro.img
Sprint: http://download2.clockworkmod.com/re...0-toroplus.img
VRZ: http://download2.clockworkmod.com/re...0.1.0-toro.img
31st August 2012, 08:49 AM |#14  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 73

More
Step 12 finishes with
Quote:

That's all. You are now unlocked and rooted. Reboot. Make sure you install the paid versions of rom manager, titanium backup, and update superuser app.

Therefore what is the need of doing #13 and 14?

Furthermore, Step 13 starts by
Quote:

13- Download Rom Manager and flash the recovery again (top choice)

What is that top choice? Do you mean restart from the top at step #1? If you need to reflash again CWN, would it be simpler to restart from Step 10 instead of going back to the top?

And BTW, what is the reason to reflash the CWM Recovery again just after you have successfully flashed it at Step 12? Could that be #13 and #14 are some steps of an older guide which no longer apply now but you forgot to remove?

Sorry for the silly question but I am rather lost. After all that hardwork, when I attempt to Update SuperUser, it failed on the line "Gaining root access ..." What is the reason and how to fix that? FOUND ANSWER: the su.zip given in the post is Superuser 3.07 which is outdated, It is probably buggy. Replaced it by SuperSU 0.94 and it works perfect: http://download.chainfire.eu/204/SuperSU/

Thanks
2nd September 2012, 02:28 PM |#15  
Flag Verona
Thanks Meter: 4

More
worked like a charm.. if you have problem using fastboot, just cd to the folder with fastboot and run it like this:

Code:
sudo ./fastboot "command"
it will require your password and then work normally, seems like it need super user permissions.

Also for new user: to avoid writing a command or a folder name manually just push the TAB button, it will autocomplete the word if it's unique in that folder
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)