[MOD] JellyBean Carrier Name Change

Search This thread

marc.ientilucci

Dec 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
www.starvingmarc.com
HOW TOO: Change Carrier Name Using Root Explorer (or similar app)​

For those who wanted to know here is a nice and easy way to change carrier name for the time being until custom ROMS come out with the option built in.

-Must Have Root
-Must have a file explorer such as Root Explorer to have access to System Files

PLEASE NOTE: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR PHONE, MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY MODS SUCH AS THIS!

also note: i am not taking credit for this mod as it is the same mod that was used on ICS to change carrier name for ROMs such as CM9.
credit goes to belair56 for letting me know how to get this done on this original post. I have just simplified instructions a bit.

STEPS For people who already have "Verizon Wireless" showing up:
1) Download Carrier.zip file i have attached and extract "spn-conf.xml" onto your desktop or some folder you will remember where it has been placed.
2) Open "spn-conf.xml" with something such as NotePad or WordPad and edit the words that you see below in red to whatever you want to display instead of Verizon Wireless.
3) Save "spn-conf.xml" and copy it to the root of your SD Card.
4) Open Root Explorer or an app similar, copy "spn-conf.xml" from your SD card to "System/etc" directory.
5) Reboot, and Enjoy!

STEPS For people with "T-CDMA 64" showing up:
1) Download T-CDMA 64.zip file i have attached and extract "eri.xml" onto your desktop or some folder you will remember where it has been placed.
2) Open "eri.xml" with something such as NotePad or WordPad and edit the words that you see below in red to whatever you want to display instead of Verizon Wireless.
3) Save "eri.xml" and copy it to the root of your SD Card.
4) Open Root Explorer or an app similar, copy "eri.xml" from your SD card to "/data" directory.
5) Reboot, and Enjoy!

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<spnOverrides>
<spnOverride numeric="310004" spn="[COLOR="Red"]Verizon Wireless[/COLOR]" />
<spnOverride numeric="310005" spn="[COLOR="red"]Verizon Wireless[/COLOR]" />
<spnOverride numeric="310012" spn="[COLOR="red"]Verizon Wireless[/COLOR]" />
<spnOverride numeric="311480" spn="[COLOR="red"]Verizon Wireless[/COLOR]" />
</spnOverrides>

as you can see i chose to use my Twitter name "@StarvingMarc" - examples below:

home.png
dropdown.png

Attachments

• Carrier.zip
    237 bytes · Views: 3,768
Last edited:

NexusNero

Jun 5, 2012
Brevard County
Thanks a trillion for this!!!!!

BRING ON ALL THE COOL MODS FOR JB!!!!

However, before a slew more MODS start pouring out....I'm quite sure MODS should be posted in the Themes and Apps forum.

sing1gnis

Feb 26, 2009
WR
Didn't seem to work for me. After a reboot, it sat at the Google screen for a while. I pulled the battery, booted back up and now I'm still at CDMA 64. Any suggestions?

Reactions: malradi8

kxs783kms

Sep 20, 2009
Any special permissions to set? Not working on mine. I just left as is (Verizon Wireless). Moved to system/etc via Root Explorer ....rebooted and still the same.

tmlhodge

Dec 12, 2010
Eastern Time Zone
Any special permissions to set? Not working on mine. I just left as is (Verizon Wireless). Moved to system/etc via Root Explorer ....rebooted and still the same.

No permission changes dont work either, RW-R--R-- is what is should be but that still doesnt work

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

1) Where do I find this eri.xml file....
2) There is no /data in the one and only JB ROM for VZW.

Do I pull/find this eri.xml file in another ROM perhaps? Do I then create a /data folder in the root of the ROM?

Idk where to find it, but you are mistaken, there is a /data directory. I think you are trying to look for it in /system if so you wont find it there.

marc.ientilucci

Dec 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
www.starvingmarc.com
You kids are doing it wrong! ;)

Take the "spn-conf" file in the OP and rename it to "eri" (no quotations of course). Paste the file under /data and reboot. It works, promise.

hey id be happy to update the OP with these directions... did u have the "CDMA-XX" and get it to change to VZ wireless? i think thats the main problem here

Reactions: tmlhodge

tmlhodge

Dec 12, 2010
Eastern Time Zone
Last edited:

KWKSLVR

Oct 9, 2010
Birmingham, AL
hey id be happy to update the OP with these directions... did u have the "CDMA-XX" and get it to change to VZ wireless? i think thats the main problem here

Yep, sure did. I was T-CDMA 64 for a few hours today before I changed it :p. I'm not sure why it was different for me than it was for you, but I was always under the impression that this info was pulled from /data instead of /system/etc, but I guess every model is different!?

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

No problem man, glad to help. Huge thanks to spunks3 for this thread too! There are a lot of people out there that don't even realize it's a setting that can be customized!

Reactions: marc.ientilucci

marc.ientilucci

Dec 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
www.starvingmarc.com
Yep, sure did. I was T-CDMA 64 for a few hours today before I changed it :p. I'm not sure why it was different for me than it was for you, but I was always under the impression that this info was pulled from /data instead of /system/etc, but I guess every model is different!?

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

No problem man, glad to help. Huge thanks to spunks3 for this thread too! There are a lot of people out there that don't even realize it's a setting that can be customized!

OP has been updated for people who have the T-CDMA 64 issue... thanks for the info on the fix!!

BMWPower06

Aug 17, 2011
renamed the original spn-conf.xml to eri.xml and put it in /data and still no luck... Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HOW TOO: Change Carrier Name Using Root Explorer (or similar app)​

For those who wanted to know here is a nice and easy way to change carrier name for the time being until custom ROMS come out with the option built in.

-Must Have Root
    -Must have a file explorer such as Root Explorer to have access to System Files

PLEASE NOTE: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR PHONE, MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY MODS SUCH AS THIS!

also note: i am not taking credit for this mod as it is the same mod that was used on ICS to change carrier name for ROMs such as CM9.
    credit goes to belair56 for letting me know how to get this done on this original post. I have just simplified instructions a bit.

STEPS For people who already have "Verizon Wireless" showing up:
    1) Download Carrier.zip file i have attached and extract "spn-conf.xml" onto your desktop or some folder you will remember where it has been placed.
    2) Open "spn-conf.xml" with something such as NotePad or WordPad and edit the words that you see below in red to whatever you want to display instead of Verizon Wireless.
    3) Save "spn-conf.xml" and copy it to the root of your SD Card.
    4) Open Root Explorer or an app similar, copy "spn-conf.xml" from your SD card to "System/etc" directory.
    5) Reboot, and Enjoy!

STEPS For people with "T-CDMA 64" showing up:
    1) Download T-CDMA 64.zip file i have attached and extract "eri.xml" onto your desktop or some folder you will remember where it has been placed.
    2) Open "eri.xml" with something such as NotePad or WordPad and edit the words that you see below in red to whatever you want to display instead of Verizon Wireless.
    3) Save "eri.xml" and copy it to the root of your SD Card.
    4) Open Root Explorer or an app similar, copy "eri.xml" from your SD card to "/data" directory.
    5) Reboot, and Enjoy!

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <spnOverrides>
    <spnOverride numeric="310004" spn="[COLOR="Red"]Verizon Wireless[/COLOR]" />
    <spnOverride numeric="310005" spn="[COLOR="red"]Verizon Wireless[/COLOR]" />
    <spnOverride numeric="310012" spn="[COLOR="red"]Verizon Wireless[/COLOR]" />
    <spnOverride numeric="311480" spn="[COLOR="red"]Verizon Wireless[/COLOR]" />
    </spnOverrides>

as you can see i chose to use my Twitter name "@StarvingMarc" - examples below:

home.png
    dropdown.png
    Mine's doing the same thing. When I leave it so it shows T-CDMA 64 it shows 3G just fine (Don't have 4G here). But with the eri.xml file in /data, it shows "Verizon Wireless" but shows me in roaming.

It's not that big of a deal. But things like this bug me lol

I fixed it by using a real eri.xml file. Go here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/28545-t-cdma-64-vzw-jb-fix/page__st__10#entry765312, download that eri.xml file, put it in /data and you'll get "Verizon Wireless" and it won't show as roaming.
    You kids are doing it wrong! ;)

Take the "spn-conf" file in the OP and rename it to "eri" (no quotations of course). Paste the file under /data and reboot. It works, promise.
    weird.

i had the 'T CDMA 64' text earlier, did the steps OP wrote, tried to write a custom text, and rebooted.

Came back up, and the T CDMA 64 was gone, and it was replaced with "Verizon Wireless" instead of my custom text. No roaming problems or anything, and i'm too lazy to mess with it now. still weird.

Its because the download in the OP isn't the correct .xml file.
    Download this
    http://www.mediafire.com/?fue1wcv8bfiwlc7
    open in notebook, and change all the "dakota0206" to "whateveryouwant"
    follow the instructions as before to place in data folder.
    Put a eri.xml file in /data, reboot, enjoy seeing "Verizon Wireless"