[ROM]{4.3_r2.3}(Linaro optimized) Commotio/Vanir - B59 9/18/13

Search This thread

DHO

Jun 6, 2010
d-h-o.us
It has been some time since I posted on XDA. But I think it is finally time to post some of my ROMs here.

What is Commotio? I am a member of the Vanir development team, and this is my personal take on Vanir. It includes different features, scripts, and themes.

Support can be best found here or in our Google Community
Sometimes live support can be found here #vanir on freenode, please be patient.... we have day jobs too.

trans.gif
Features
:

Status Bar
- Quick Setting including numerous customizations
- Customize clock display and location, customize signal bar
- % displayed in battery + circle mod
- Transparency

Navigation Bar
- Customizable buttons + colors
- Customizable height + width
- Navi Ring
- Transparency

Lockscreen
- Fully customizable targets/rotation/widgets/ and more
- Transparency

General Tweaks
- Ad blocking
- PIE: with extended options
- Tablet UI Chooser
- DPI/LCD changer + force tablet settings mode
- Theme Chooser: Including inverted theme
- Galaxy Nexus Parts
- ADB over network
- Bravia Engine 3.0
- Custom Carrier text
- Custom backlight
- Expanded Desktop: with different modes
- Extended Power menu
- A-GPS. - Kang PrimeDirective –> Credit happily1986
- Long press back to kill (in developer options)

Application Tweaks
- Selectable Gtalk
- Expanded Phone: noise reduction, advanced settings, speaker proximity
- Expanded MMS including Quick Emoji
- Camera: Enhanced settings (credit CM)
- Functional Sound Recorder
- Koush’s Superuser
- Vanir Keyboard – removed tracking/logging – highly optimized

Performance Manager
- Processor governor + speed
- Voltage control
- I/o Scheduler
- Disable boot animation
- Enhance recent menu

Sound
- Hightly customized DSManager with 96k sample rate and more options/butter
- Quiet Hours
- DSP Manager included (Credit CM)
- Volume wake / rocker music controld
- Rewritten Speaker proximity designed for Commotio/Vanir

Debloated
- All inclusive ~180 MB –> 60 MB of Bloat removed
- Fully featured LatinIME Keyboard, but only 2.2 MB (normally 16-20 MB), removed tracking/logging
- And soo much more

Butter
- Compiled with linaro keychain
- GCC 4.8 w/ -O2 -fstrict-aliasing AKA highly optimized compiling for better results (like Linaro)
- Vanir.cfg – Set your CPU frequencies, colors, ZRAM, and much more. Set and once and forget; it stays on your SD card
- DHOtheory: Sets up the kernel/ROM the way I like it, then self destructs on first boot, so you can change it later
- Go-faster Axiom scripts
- Vanirice – makes everything just a bit smooth
- For every 1 user settings there are 5 power saving + performance tweaks tweaks

Theme
- TRIAGE theme – (Inspiration DroidTh3ory)

Gapps
- Included. Cherry-picked from numerous repos, and the Play store
- Added File Manager + Titanium BU (for easy crack flashing)
- Terminal added

Kernels
- Tuna - Uses Vanir's Custom Kernel
- This masterpiece of speed is the orginal work Dan Triftan is only distributed with our team's distributions.
Not Tuna? Search for your device here for the current included kernel

Source
Want to contribute? Please do, we are open to any type of help. Coding, website, art, forum support, everyone is encouraged to help
Want to Kang? Go for it, just cherry-pick to leave history/authorship intact (whether ours or other's).
Github/gerrit

Screenshots:
Look here

Files: MD5 found on download page
__________Goo.im__________NuclearMistake’s Server (use 2nd)
M# = Monolith/Milestone build
B# = build number

Recommended Settings: Set on first boot automatically with DHOtheory
InteractiveX 230-1350 with smartreflex
Color 220/200/265 -6/0/8 Gamma 1.2

Last edited:

gorillabiscuit

Oct 8, 2009
I'm assuming this includes gapps since it's not listed in the steps? Happy Festivus. May your movie line be short and your Chinese food be hot.

Blanko6

May 25, 2010
Can the nav size be change on this ROM ?

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

know8677

Dec 23, 2010
After a month or so on a ROM that was working good for me, I got bored and thought I'd flash this over the holidays.

Just finished and got it all set-up. Everything generally seems to be working OK. I'll report back on battery life later.

One issue I noticed right away is that the symbols key next to the spacebar on the keyboard doesn't display the symbols if you long press. I believe that has something to do with the inverted look. I think menu selections for several apps including Chrome are also affected.

Another minor issue (for me) is that I'm not a fan of the search icon being gone from the Play store. Having to choose it from the menu just seems like an extra step.

Finally, I'd love to see more settings options in the notification pulldown. GPS should be there for sure, but I'd also like to see Torch or flashlight as well.

If the battery seems OK, I may keep this for awhile and just deal with the keyboard issue and other missing menu selections.

DHO

Jun 6, 2010
d-h-o.us
After a month or so on a ROM that was working good for me, I got bored and thought I'd flash this over the holidays.

Just finished and got it all set-up. Everything generally seems to be working OK. I'll report back on battery life later.

One issue I noticed right away is that the symbols key next to the spacebar on the keyboard doesn't display the symbols if you long press. I believe that has something to do with the inverted look. I think menu selections for several apps including Chrome are also affected.

Another minor issue (for me) is that I'm not a fan of the search icon being gone from the Play store. Having to choose it from the menu just seems like an extra step.

Finally, I'd love to see more settings options in the notification pulldown. GPS should be there for sure, but I'd also like to see Torch or flashlight as well.

If the battery seems OK, I may keep this for awhile and just deal with the keyboard issue and other missing menu selections.

I think all the above will be fixed in next build. A good intendioned commit went awry.

Does this have Facebook Contact Sync?
In screenshot the icon looks different.

Thanks.

I run it as ab option. It is not included

know8677

Dec 23, 2010
It definitely looks like it has a lot of potential and I really liked some of the features.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't wake up at some point so I re-flashed my old ROM.

More unfortunately, it looks like since Ad Free was baked in, it now won't let me reinstall Ad Free on another ROM. It must have made some changes somewhere and I get a message that Ad Free can't start because it looks like I have an old version. I uninstall, reinstall and get the same thing. Any ideas on how to fix would be appreciated. I really like using Ad Free.

I'd definitely be interested in trying your ROM again once the wrinkles get ironed out.

DHO

Jun 6, 2010
d-h-o.us
It definitely looks like it has a lot of potential and I really liked some of the features.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't wake up at some point so I re-flashed my old ROM.

More unfortunately, it looks like since Ad Free was baked in, it now won't let me reinstall Ad Free on another ROM. It must have made some changes somewhere and I get a message that Ad Free can't start because it looks like I have an old version. I uninstall, reinstall and get the same thing. Any ideas on how to fix would be appreciated. I really like using Ad Free.

I'd definitely be interested in trying your ROM again once the wrinkles get ironed out.

I am including leankernel with newer builds as Zen kernel is was not doing it for me... that should fix the reboot issue

And I do believe ut us an issue with Ad Free and not the ROM though I could be mistaken (all I have is the host file, there is no components). When I delete this host file is has no affect. App was last updated in May, soo hoping it is on their side.

know8677

Dec 23, 2010
I am including leankernel with newer builds as Zen kernel is was not doing it for me... that should fix the reboot issue

And I do believe ut us an issue with Ad Free and not the ROM though I could be mistaken (all I have is the host file, there is no components). When I delete this host file is has no affect. App was last updated in May, soo hoping it is on their side.

I was running Ad Free before flashing with no problem, but now when it tries to open it says something about a fatal error and an older version of Ad Free. I doubt it just stopped working on my phone on its own.

asdecker

Jun 24, 2011
Only thing I found was the phone would not go into airplane mode.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

donnyp1

May 7, 2008
Wichita
Does this rom restore your apps without tibu?

DHO

Jun 6, 2010
d-h-o.us
New features or just a kernel swap!??

A couple new features, Quick settings the biggest

so in the OP in the recommended settings it says gamma 1.2 .... I have a feeling this is not correct... or am I wrong?

There are different color measuring schematas. THe one I use (franco's) gamma 1.2 looks very good. BUt everyone's phone is different. My colors are applied on first boot then the script destroys itself, so you can change them after

I was running Ad Free before flashing with no problem, but now when it tries to open it says something about a fatal error and an older version of Ad Free. I doubt it just stopped working on my phone on its own.

I am looking into this. I cannot see what it would not be working. We do include an ad-block host file, but no other components. And removinf the host file has no affect. I am trying to explore this.

Does this rom restore your apps without tibu?

Not currently

Only thing I found was the phone would not go into airplane mode.

Thank for the feedback. Did you do a dirty or clean install?

donnyp1

May 7, 2008
Wichita
Is there a way without tibu to auto restore? The reason i ask is that the last rom was fantastic, fast, great battery. I got a good set up now, but alot of extra work to reinstall everything manually. I dont care for tibu. Thanks dude.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It has been some time since I posted on XDA. But I think it is finally time to post some of my ROMs here.

What is Commotio? I am a member of the Vanir development team, and this is my personal take on Vanir. It includes different features, scripts, and themes.

Support can be best found here or in our Google Community
    Sometimes live support can be found here #vanir on freenode, please be patient.... we have day jobs too.

trans.gif
    Features
    :

Status Bar
    - Quick Setting including numerous customizations
    - Customize clock display and location, customize signal bar
    - % displayed in battery + circle mod
    - Transparency

Navigation Bar
    - Customizable buttons + colors
    - Customizable height + width
    - Navi Ring
    - Transparency

Lockscreen
    - Fully customizable targets/rotation/widgets/ and more
    - Transparency

General Tweaks
    - Ad blocking
    - PIE: with extended options
    - Tablet UI Chooser
    - DPI/LCD changer + force tablet settings mode
    - Theme Chooser: Including inverted theme
    - Galaxy Nexus Parts
    - ADB over network
    - Bravia Engine 3.0
    - Custom Carrier text
    - Custom backlight
    - Expanded Desktop: with different modes
    - Extended Power menu
    - A-GPS. - Kang PrimeDirective –> Credit happily1986
    - Long press back to kill (in developer options)

Application Tweaks
    - Selectable Gtalk
    - Expanded Phone: noise reduction, advanced settings, speaker proximity
    - Expanded MMS including Quick Emoji
    - Camera: Enhanced settings (credit CM)
    - Functional Sound Recorder
    - Koush’s Superuser
    - Vanir Keyboard – removed tracking/logging – highly optimized

Performance Manager
    - Processor governor + speed
    - Voltage control
    - I/o Scheduler
    - Disable boot animation
    - Enhance recent menu

Sound
    - Hightly customized DSManager with 96k sample rate and more options/butter
    - Quiet Hours
    - DSP Manager included (Credit CM)
    - Volume wake / rocker music controld
    - Rewritten Speaker proximity designed for Commotio/Vanir

Debloated
    - All inclusive ~180 MB –> 60 MB of Bloat removed
    - Fully featured LatinIME Keyboard, but only 2.2 MB (normally 16-20 MB), removed tracking/logging
    - And soo much more

Butter
    - Compiled with linaro keychain
    - GCC 4.8 w/ -O2 -fstrict-aliasing AKA highly optimized compiling for better results (like Linaro)
    - Vanir.cfg – Set your CPU frequencies, colors, ZRAM, and much more. Set and once and forget; it stays on your SD card
    - DHOtheory: Sets up the kernel/ROM the way I like it, then self destructs on first boot, so you can change it later
    - Go-faster Axiom scripts
    - Vanirice – makes everything just a bit smooth
    - For every 1 user settings there are 5 power saving + performance tweaks tweaks

Theme
    - TRIAGE theme – (Inspiration DroidTh3ory)

Gapps
    - Included. Cherry-picked from numerous repos, and the Play store
    - Added File Manager + Titanium BU (for easy crack flashing)
    - Terminal added

Kernels
    - This masterpiece of speed is the orginal work Dan Triftan is only distributed with our team's distributions.
    Not Tuna? Search for your device here for the current included kernel

Source
    Want to contribute? Please do, we are open to any type of help. Coding, website, art, forum support, everyone is encouraged to help
    Want to Kang? Go for it, just cherry-pick to leave history/authorship intact (whether ours or other's).
    Github/gerrit

Screenshots:
    Look here

Files: MD5 found on download page
    __________Goo.im__________NuclearMistake’s Server (use 2nd)
    M# = Monolith/Milestone build
    B# = build number

Recommended Settings: Set on first boot automatically with DHOtheory
    InteractiveX 230-1350 with smartreflex
    Color 220/200/265 -6/0/8 Gamma 1.2
    Okay, we are back in business. Im sorry for the inconvenience caused to any user, I did not foresee the thread closure, but I think most people knew how to find the new release without any problem. :)

SOooo for anyone that has not heard B59 is out
    Also, so anyone who was curious (and now in the OP)
    Kernels
    - This masterpiece of speed is the original work Dan Triftan is only distributed with our team's distributions.
    B60 will probably be out mid-week. It will address some busybox issues, that are affecting a small percentage of users.
    Oh and for those keeping tract, as of today Vanir is @ 37 devices today :cyclops:
    Hey guys! Sorry I have been too much time into working on 4.3 and not enough time on the forums.... but I hope you all enjoy the fruits of the labor.

B57 - 8/18/13
    - Updated Vanir Source (4.3_r2_1)
    - Toro, Maguro, Toroplus, Grouper, Tilapia, Manta, Mako
    - Tuna Kernel: Vanir-AK
    - Commotio: 4.3 Gapps, massive updates to scripts, reorganizations, new initd scripts, changes to sysctl
    - New Vanir features: Now 4,3, Fully linaro 4.3 optimized, N7 2013 support, Halo 2.0, removed Beats (for now), wifi country choosing, ascending ringtones, huge updates to Camera/Gallery/keyboard, DSP manger updates to CM, DRM + enhanced NFC to all builds, soo many cursor leaks and NPEs fixed, alsa sound all devices, optional encryption password sync, CM's new phone dialer, Blacklists, Quiet Hours updates, VoicePlus, Wireless teether on S4, tons of Qcom fixes, plethora of filesystems now supported, Hunter script, Bluetooth Exorcism, and just way too many tweaks/fixes/goodness to mention
    - Testing for Vanir: slowradio for tunas (should be better on battery), various NPE fixes, misc
    NOTE: This is the first 4.3 release and should not be considered a polish milestone. I have been using Commotio/vanir 4.3 for about 2 weeks, and as of today, I feel it is stable for general testing, but expect issues to pop up here and there. Strict selinux enforcing is broken, I have heard one needs to disable root for it to work (which I have no interest in doing).
    NOTE: I know I need to update the features in the OP,.. just not tonight.
    FINAL NOTE: A "dirty" from B56 (4.2.2) is possible, but NOT recommend.
    Knowledge and skill of 5 awesome dudes

B52 is up. Some nice additions and butter