9th March 2014, 08:02 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 873

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxRedEye

Is an upgrade to KVT in the works?

UPDATE -- I'm running the latest version with the latest franco and Xposed Framework and - wow. Rock stable, fast and melted chocolate smooth (boom - trademarked.) I don't know why I haven't done this sooner. This is all I need for awhile. Truly happy with my GNex at this moment haha.

Hey there! I'm sorry, somehow I missed your post earlier! Anyways, glad to hear you're liking the ROM so much There is an updated build available as of today so check the download post. More info is coming in a few seconds
The Following User Says Thank You to baldwinguy77 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift baldwinguy77 Ad-Free

9th March 2014, 08:03 PM |#12  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
3/9/14 Build Information
Hey there everyone! It seems like it's been awhile since the last time I got make one of these new build posts, and I have to say it feels good to be able to do it again! I first have to apologize for my absence both in terms of development and communication in the thread. I'm getting close to the end of my sophomore year in college, and let's just say it has been keeping me extremely busy. I don't mind it, but I just wish it still left more time for me to do Android-related things! Luckily, I had a whole week off to catch up on a lot of things, including Shiny ROM development. So with that, we have a new build ready to go that includes a very minor update to the AOSP base of the ROM as well as some not so minor updates to the telephony stack. What this means is that mobile data and voice performance/reliability may have some big improvements in this build. We didn't get a chance to do a wide-scale test with these changes, and they're only in the master branch of AOSP, but after reviewing the code I'm hopeful that they'll bring improvements for us. That being said, be sure to leave your feedback here on the thread so we know how it's working! If you experience any problems, try to grab a logcat and let us know about them so we can try to get everything straightened out! So after reviewing the other information and installation instructions below, head over to the download post to grab the new build!

I also want to take this opportunity to point out that Shiny ROM has a new website! For now, the URL/domain is still http://shinyrom.goofball.org/ to stay consistent. The website has a lot of information about Shiny ROM as well as some future plans. It also lists details for the newest build of Shiny ROM along with download links, etc. I'm hoping that this website serves as a good platform for Shiny ROM to grow as we can now deliver a lot of information without having to worry about it getting buried in the forum and whatnot. So check that site frequently for Shiny ROM news and updates as well as information about new builds! There is also a contact form there for everyone to leave their suggestions, report bugs, etc. I hope you all like it!

(You can still access all of the Shiny ROM files here.)

Thanks to everyone for your continued support of myself and Shiny ROM!

Installation Instructions
  1. Download desired ZIP files (ROM, SuperSU*, mods, etc.) and place on internal storage.
  2. Reboot to the latest version of your preferred custom recovery (CWM or TWRP).
  3. Wipe cache.
  4. Wipe dalvik cache.
  5. **OPTIONAL** Wipe data/factory reset (will erase user data like apps and saved games, etc., but may fix strange bugs).
  6. Flash ROM.
  7. **OPTIONAL** Flash other desired ZIPs (SuperSU, mods, etc.).
  8. Reboot.
  9. Enjoy!
*As of 3/9/14, the latest version of SuperSU is v1.93.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to baldwinguy77 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift baldwinguy77 Ad-Free
9th March 2014, 08:50 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 408

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwinguy77

Hey there! I'm sorry, somehow I missed your post earlier! Anyways, glad to hear you're liking the ROM so much There is an updated build available as of today so check the download post. More info is coming in a few seconds

No worries. Thanks for the reply and thank you for your hard work bringing us a stable stock KitKat. Glad I have extra batteries with me - gonna download and flash asap.
9th March 2014, 10:01 PM |#14  
Phx, AZ
Thanks Meter: 417

More
Hey @baldwinguy77, can't access rootz right now, but was systemui.apk updated for today's build? I have a home cooked mod from last version that I'd like to use. Thx
10th March 2014, 12:22 AM |#15  
Flag Raleigh, NC
Thanks Meter: 20

More
ART isn't sticking when I change from dalvik. I flashed on top of the last build. Did not do a full wipe yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
10th March 2014, 02:48 AM |#16  
Flag Raleigh, NC
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by asilentcivilian

ART isn't sticking when I change from dalvik. I flashed on top of the last build. Did not do a full wipe yet.

full wipe did the trick. thanks for keeping this ROM alive!

10th March 2014, 04:11 AM |#17  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by klobkelosh

Hey @baldwinguy77, can't access rootz right now, but was systemui.apk updated for today's build? I have a home cooked mod from last version that I'd like to use. Thx

Hmmmm I would just give it a try, I think it will probably work fine especially if it only modifies SystemUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilentcivilian

full wipe did the trick. thanks for keeping this ROM alive!

Glad to hear it! Thanks for your support!
The Following User Says Thank You to baldwinguy77 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift baldwinguy77 Ad-Free
10th March 2014, 04:36 AM |#18  
Phx, AZ

More
Quote:

Hmmmm I would just give it a try, I think it will probably work fine especially if it only modifies SystemUI

Yes it worked fine, thanks for the response. Unfortunately, this build is not very nice to my battery
10th March 2014, 04:42 AM |#19  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yes it worked fine, thanks for the response. Unfortunately, this build is not very nice to my battery

Glad to hear it! I would give it some time before making any conclusions; charge it up tonight, grab it in the morning and see how it is with normal use

If you want, you can put the APN refresh delay back to its value from the previous build. To do this, you need to be rooted so that you can edit the build.prop. You simply have to remove this line:
Code:
persist.radio.apn_delay=5000
I don't think it should be making a big difference, but that's the only change that could (in theory) have some effect on battery life. Of course, removing that line may come at the price of having longer/trickier data handoffs. Unfortunately, Verizon's network certainly isn't making it easy for us to give everyone good battery life and good data handoffs
10th March 2014, 05:09 AM |#20  
Phx, AZ

More
Quote:

Glad to hear it! I would give it some time before making any conclusions; charge it up tonight, grab it in the morning and see how it is with normal use

If you want, you can put the APN refresh delay back to its value from the previous build. To do this, you need to be rooted so that you can edit the build.prop. You simply have to remove this line:

Code:
persist.radio.apn_delay=5000
I don't think it should be making a big difference, but that's the only change that could (in theory) have some effect on battery life. Of course, removing that line may come at the price of having longer/trickier data handoffs. Unfortunately, Verizon's network certainly isn't making it easy for us to give everyone good battery life and good data handoffs

I'll take that under consideration, but man it was really killing me. Following new rom flash, for everything set up, charged up to 100 percent. Good. Drive to dinner, 30 mins, in and out of 4g and 3g, battery at 80 percent. After 2 hour dinner on 3g, 60 percent. Back home 40 percent, lots of hand offs. She's nearly dead now and I haven't even used her tonight. I love this ROM, but she's not right...
10th March 2014, 05:43 AM |#21  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I'll take that under consideration, but man it was really killing me. Following new rom flash, for everything set up, charged up to 100 percent. Good. Drive to dinner, 30 mins, in and out of 4g and 3g, battery at 80 percent. After 2 hour dinner on 3g, 60 percent. Back home 40 percent, lots of hand offs. She's nearly dead now and I haven't even used her tonight. I love this ROM, but she's not right...

I suggest trying out the method described in the post above. I wish there were more I could do at this point, but I don't have many options beyond making different builds for each individual user :/ Sorry!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)