FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Cheap Aliexpress Loca Screen Protectors

1,042 posts
Thanks Meter: 255
 
By gordec, Senior Member on 18th September 2019, 08:03 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I ordered a $2.15 LOCA tempered glass screen protector on Aliexpress. Purchased 08/28 and received it today 09/17. I live in San Francisco. Overall the quality of the screen is pretty much the same as the Whitestone. This one doesn't come with the plastic alignment case that the Whitestone comes with, but you get a UV light and single bottle of glue. I used the same procedure as Whitestone but just without the guide. Also you don't get any tapes to protect the USB ports, etc. I just cut some packing tape and covered those up. I did ok, there is a small air bubble at the bottom. I hope it slowly cures over time. My experience with Whitestone is that you don't want to push and squeeze too hard. You can barely notice it when screen is on, but I'm kind of OCD so I ordered another and may swap it.

So if you have experience and can wait (Note 10/10+ comes with a screen protector), save some money. BTW, finger print works just fine.

Aliexpress Link
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen protector.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	4821111  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gordec For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gordec Ad-Free
18th September 2019, 08:07 AM |#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
is that an Spigen tough armor case?

cheers
18th September 2019, 08:29 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 410
 
More
Same experience. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. Just tape over the speakers. There are some on ebay for a similar price if you don't like using Ali for some reason.

Whitestone and AMFILM are good if you need to be spoon fed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kawaisa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kawaisa Ad-Free
18th September 2019, 04:48 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Flag Springfield
Thanks Meter: 1,595
 
Donate to Me
More
*looks at my Whitestone with no bubbles* Hmmm... Maybe being "spoon-fed" isn't so bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Orange 645 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mr. Orange 645 Ad-Free
18th September 2019, 07:03 PM |#5  
gordec's Avatar
OP Senior Member
San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 255
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Orange 645

*looks at my Whitestone with no bubbles* Hmmm... Maybe being "spoon-fed" isn't so bad.

I had bubble with my first Whitestone. I think having the guide cage helps but if you have experience, it's not necessary. There is just some luck to it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to gordec For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gordec Ad-Free
18th September 2019, 07:13 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag Springfield
Thanks Meter: 1,595
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordec

I had bubble with my first Whitestone. I think having the guide cage helps but if you have experience, it's not necessary. There is just some luck to it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I've installed quite a few LOCA TGSPs. Some I bought LOCA separate and then bought a TGSP and made my own kit. Worked great, was messy AF to install, cause I had NO idea how much to use, LOL. and they all chipped and cracked in a week or two.

I've also bought some cheaper kits that included the right amount of LOCA and a TGSP. They ended up lifting on the edges. Last one I tried was Note 9.

I wound buying a second used Note 9 that already had Whitestone Dome installed by the previous owner, and I loved it. So when I pre-ordered my Note 10+, I pre-ordered a Whitestone Dome for it. Sucked paying over $40, but honestly, I've spent hundreds in the past trying to find the "perfect" screen protector. Don't regret Whitestone or the money spent at all. And the installation tray made it dead simple. It was worth it to get it right the first time.

If I had to change TGSPs, if go with AmFilm, just because they're also getting great reviews are basically half the price. Or I'd go back to a soft screen protector, the Ringke Dual Easy Film. It's just basically invisible.
18th September 2019, 07:43 PM |#7  
gordec's Avatar
OP Senior Member
San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 255
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Orange 645

I've installed quite a few LOCA TGSPs. Some I bought LOCA separate and then bought a TGSP and made my own kit. Worked great, was messy AF to install, cause I had NO idea how much to use, LOL. and they all chipped and cracked in a week or two.



I've also bought some cheaper kits that included the right amount of LOCA and a TGSP. They ended up lifting on the edges. Last one I tried was Note 9.



I wound buying a second used Note 9 that already had Whitestone Dome installed by the previous owner, and I loved it. So when I pre-ordered my Note 10+, I pre-ordered a Whitestone Dome for it. Sucked paying over $40, but honestly, I've spent hundreds in the past trying to find the "perfect" screen protector. Don't regret Whitestone or the money spent at all. And the installation tray made it dead simple. It was worth it to get it right the first time.



If I had to change TGSPs, if go with AmFilm, just because they're also getting great reviews are basically half the price. Or I'd go back to a soft screen protector, the Ringke Dual Easy Film. It's just basically invisible.

Soft ones are uncomfortable with spen right? I tried one for the Note 9.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
18th September 2019, 07:46 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Flag Springfield
Thanks Meter: 1,595
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordec

Soft ones are uncomfortable with spen right? I tried one for the Note 9.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Depends on which one you buy the wet install ones typically suck to use with the SPen. The Ringke was awesome. Couldn't tell it was there, even with the SPen. I honestly can't speak highly enough of them. They honestly feel like glass.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Orange 645 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mr. Orange 645 Ad-Free
18th September 2019, 08:10 PM |#9  
gordec's Avatar
OP Senior Member
San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 255
 
More
Thanks. Bought one to try.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
21st September 2019, 08:46 PM |#10  
gordec's Avatar
OP Senior Member
San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 255
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Orange 645

Depends on which one you buy the wet install ones typically suck to use with the SPen. The Ringke was awesome. Couldn't tell it was there, even with the SPen. I honestly can't speak highly enough of them. They honestly feel like glass.

Installed it. I like it. It's not glass but very smooth with Spen. The extreme edges has slight lift but very mild. Not sure if you had some tricks to get all the edges to stay down.
21st September 2019, 08:52 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Flag Springfield
Thanks Meter: 1,595
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordec

Installed it. I like it. It's not glass but very smooth with Spen. The extreme edges has slight lift but very mild. Not sure if you had some tricks to get all the edges to stay down.

I haven't tried one on my N10+, but installed them on my Note 9 and my wife's S10+. Neither one had any issues with the edges lifting at all. I wish I had some tricks to offer, but I just followed the directions.

It's funny, when I installed my wife's Ringke on her S10+ I was showing her the difference between it and the Whitestone Dome tempered glass (which are the time was on my Note 9). I was showing her how glass was smoother than her Ringke protector, but to my surprise, my finger actually glided easier across her Ringke than my Whitestone! Now my Whitestone Dome on that phone was a few months old, so some of the oleophobic coating had probably worn off and her Ringke screen protector was brand new, but I was really shocked and just how smooth it was to the touch.

As far as the lifting edges, two thoughts. One, you didn't get it lined up perfectly so maybe something is a little off? A half millimeter either way could make it uneven. But I don't think thats the issue. Two, perhaps the edges of your phone weren't clean enough and had some residual oils? Or three, you just got a faulty screen protector. If it gets worse, try the second one in the pack. If that fails, reach out to Ringke and they should replace it for free.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes