[REVIEW] amFilm Ultra Glass Screen Protector

Search This thread

ColSaulTigh

May 24, 2011
Lake Mary, FL
Hello all!

First time posting in a while, so forgive me if I'm a bit rusty. I just got my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ yesterday, and my amFilm Ultra Glass Screen Protector today, so I thought I'd write up a little review. Sorry for no pics, but I was busy installing and trying to keep things dust-free

I've used Whitestone in the past but was disappointed with both my Note 8 and 9 installs, primarily because of the LOCA spiderwebbing on the edges. I figured I'd give another brand a shot, so I went searching here and found the amFilm Ultra Glass Screen Protector. A quick trip over to Amazon, and $40 later (for a full kit including *2* protectors) and here we are!

PACKAGING: The box is nice - wider and flatter than the WS product. It's clean and simple, but professional looking. Plus their website and install video are well done also. Inside the outer box are three smaller boxes. The largest contains the plastic frame, screen protectors, and wipes (I think). The medium size box contains the UV light and the MicroUSB cable. It appears to be identical to the WS product, but I don't know this for a fact, so take that for what it's worth. The smallest box contains the LOCA (2 tubes), extra absorption pads, plastic pin, tabs to place over the speaker, a bubble level, and a weight. Everything you need comes in this kit, including plenty of wet and dry wipes, microfiber cloths, and dust removal stickers. On the packaging is a QR code to go to the install video.

PRODUCT: Everything seems to be on the same quality scale as the WS product, with a few minor changes - 1) there is no LOCA applicator "bridge", you have to aim and dribble the solution by hand, 2) the pin is different - there's no more tilting the entire phone to move the liquid into position - the pin is angled and sets the glass down at an angle, and 3) the "fingerprint" weight (more on this later). Otherwise, if you've done the WS before, this isn't significantly different.

INSTALLATION: **REMINDER** REMOVE the factory plastic screen protector and clean your screen THOROUGHLY before proceeding! I ALMOST forgot, which would have been a disaster! I watched the video twice and didn't see any mention of this, so amFilm, here's a tip for you. Anyway, installation is straightforward -put the little feet on the bottom of the phone to bring it flush with the pins inside, make sure the screen is 100% clean, install the sticker over the speaker, apply the liquid (making sure to absorb any "splatter" before proceeding!), peel the protective film off the glass, place it, and pull the pin. Once the liquid starts to spread, put the weight where the fingerprint sensor is and let it settle and "ooze" for 3-ish minutes. (NOTE - it's hard to locate the fingerprint scanner, so you might want to mark the frame in advance with a Sharpie (another tip for amFilm - marking that plastic with some kind of raised bumps or hash marks might be a good idea, or maybe a film for on top of the glass that marks where to place it - just a thought). After that, it's bake-time under the UV light, then you're done.

RESULTS: I'm very impressed so far. The glass appears to be nice and clear, and I can't even see the little "spots" in the corners others mentioned. I lucked out this time and no dust specs at all. No bubbles, etc. the fingerprint scanner appears to be working fine, although I haven't re-registered anything. It DOES require a little extra "umph" to scan, but that's not a big deal. Part of that could be me getting used to an in-screen scanner. There was minimal over-oozing, and the pre-installed pads absorbed everything fine. Barely needed a wipedown afterward.

FITMENT: There appears to be no flaws in placement using the guide, or in the fitment of the glass. It sits flat, and lines up exactly where it should. The cutout for the front-facing camera is exactly where it should be, and it's not overly-exaggerated in size. The edges leave plenty of room for putting the phone in a case (I've tried 4 so far, all fit without touching the glass edge, so there's no worry about case push on the glue). The bottom edge is just a tad bit short, maybe a 1/16", but that could be allowing for larger cases (I don't use the big bulky ones, so IDK).

OVERALL ASSESSMENT: 4.5/5 Stars - Great product, especially for the price. I'll keep you posted on long-term wear & quality, but for now, I'd say it's a great deal versus the competition.

Last edited:

itsachirpthing

Sep 30, 2007
Great review. I just installed mine yesterday and I've had exactly the same great experience with the product. It really does work well with the fp scanner. I had a terrible time with the S10 plus fp scanner and the Whitestone. Great price as well. I'll buy again for sure.

sawixso81

Jan 25, 2015
I just picked up a set of the amfilm install went flawless a lot easier than the whitestone I had on my S8 fingerprint worked right of the bat with what I had already registered I think it even sensed it better than the stock protector that came with the phone, well spent $40 bucks on amazon

Forgot to mention it fits perfect with my otterbox case

ColSaulTigh

May 24, 2011
Lake Mary, FL
Will this work with the samsung clearview cover ?

and can this protector be easily removed?

thanks

Not sure about the Clearview cover, I haven't ordered it yet.

As for removal, it uses LOCA glue to adhere the screen protector to the phone, so it's not the easiest thing to remove, but will come off with a little effort. You will want to have lots of alcohol wipes handy to clean the screen afterwards. Maybe a few Band-Aids, too :D

RaymondPJR

Oct 7, 2010
Portland
AMfilm doesn't seem to gather dust at the edges like it did with the Whitestone install on my Galaxy Note 9. That's a blessing! I was always cleaning clingy dust away on a daily basis. The edges on this install are clean!

lexi250

Jun 25, 2011
Toronto
AMfilm doesn't seem to gather dust at the edges like it did with the Whitestone install on my Galaxy Note 9. That's a blessing! I was always cleaning clingy dust away on a daily basis. The edges on this install are clean!
Hey Ray, do you know why? is it because of different density loca glue? I really want to switch to glass protector but hesitant because of dust built up around the edges.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

cdig

Aug 11, 2016
Will this work with the samsung clearview cover ?

and can this protector be easily removed?

thanks

yep. works with every case i got so far. Might have issue with the ones with a front plastic piece though like on some heavy duty cases.

not sure about removal, but ive not had issue with any loca based one so far in the years ive used them.

nsurg

Jan 22, 2012
I'll add my review...
I applied this to my S20+ yesterday. The steps were clear on paper, but the video was more helpful still.
Everything went fine with the exception that when I opened the adhesive tube it sprayed out a bit even before the top cap was opened, and I suspect this is due to me living at a high altitude. As a result my glue didn't fully spread to the whole screen, but close, and there were many small bubbles in the center of the screen. Next time I might try opening and closing the top first to equilibrate pressure.
That said, this is a promising product. It has a smooth and even finish, remains low profile so my case fits which still wraps the lateral edges, and the fingerprint part works a bit better than with the cheap plastic screen protector that samsung supplied (which also scratched easily).
I've never used screen protectors on prior phones, but this product is nice enough that I'll use it on future phones as well.
Additionally, the customer service was outstanding and they immediately sent me a replacement protector and more adhesive to try again.
Thumbs up so far, I'm confident my next application will be successful.

lexi250

Jun 25, 2011
Toronto
Sorry, haven't been on XDA much. I've had my amfilm since Dec, 2019 and it's still like new. Oleophobic coating has not wear off.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all!

First time posting in a while, so forgive me if I'm a bit rusty. I just got my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ yesterday, and my amFilm Ultra Glass Screen Protector today, so I thought I'd write up a little review. Sorry for no pics, but I was busy installing and trying to keep things dust-free

I've used Whitestone in the past but was disappointed with both my Note 8 and 9 installs, primarily because of the LOCA spiderwebbing on the edges. I figured I'd give another brand a shot, so I went searching here and found the amFilm Ultra Glass Screen Protector. A quick trip over to Amazon, and $40 later (for a full kit including *2* protectors) and here we are!

PACKAGING: The box is nice - wider and flatter than the WS product. It's clean and simple, but professional looking. Plus their website and install video are well done also. Inside the outer box are three smaller boxes. The largest contains the plastic frame, screen protectors, and wipes (I think). The medium size box contains the UV light and the MicroUSB cable. It appears to be identical to the WS product, but I don't know this for a fact, so take that for what it's worth. The smallest box contains the LOCA (2 tubes), extra absorption pads, plastic pin, tabs to place over the speaker, a bubble level, and a weight. Everything you need comes in this kit, including plenty of wet and dry wipes, microfiber cloths, and dust removal stickers. On the packaging is a QR code to go to the install video.

PRODUCT: Everything seems to be on the same quality scale as the WS product, with a few minor changes - 1) there is no LOCA applicator "bridge", you have to aim and dribble the solution by hand, 2) the pin is different - there's no more tilting the entire phone to move the liquid into position - the pin is angled and sets the glass down at an angle, and 3) the "fingerprint" weight (more on this later). Otherwise, if you've done the WS before, this isn't significantly different.

INSTALLATION: **REMINDER** REMOVE the factory plastic screen protector and clean your screen THOROUGHLY before proceeding! I ALMOST forgot, which would have been a disaster! I watched the video twice and didn't see any mention of this, so amFilm, here's a tip for you. Anyway, installation is straightforward -put the little feet on the bottom of the phone to bring it flush with the pins inside, make sure the screen is 100% clean, install the sticker over the speaker, apply the liquid (making sure to absorb any "splatter" before proceeding!), peel the protective film off the glass, place it, and pull the pin. Once the liquid starts to spread, put the weight where the fingerprint sensor is and let it settle and "ooze" for 3-ish minutes. (NOTE - it's hard to locate the fingerprint scanner, so you might want to mark the frame in advance with a Sharpie (another tip for amFilm - marking that plastic with some kind of raised bumps or hash marks might be a good idea, or maybe a film for on top of the glass that marks where to place it - just a thought). After that, it's bake-time under the UV light, then you're done.

RESULTS: I'm very impressed so far. The glass appears to be nice and clear, and I can't even see the little "spots" in the corners others mentioned. I lucked out this time and no dust specs at all. No bubbles, etc. the fingerprint scanner appears to be working fine, although I haven't re-registered anything. It DOES require a little extra "umph" to scan, but that's not a big deal. Part of that could be me getting used to an in-screen scanner. There was minimal over-oozing, and the pre-installed pads absorbed everything fine. Barely needed a wipedown afterward.

FITMENT: There appears to be no flaws in placement using the guide, or in the fitment of the glass. It sits flat, and lines up exactly where it should. The cutout for the front-facing camera is exactly where it should be, and it's not overly-exaggerated in size. The edges leave plenty of room for putting the phone in a case (I've tried 4 so far, all fit without touching the glass edge, so there's no worry about case push on the glue). The bottom edge is just a tad bit short, maybe a 1/16", but that could be allowing for larger cases (I don't use the big bulky ones, so IDK).

OVERALL ASSESSMENT: 4.5/5 Stars - Great product, especially for the price. I'll keep you posted on long-term wear & quality, but for now, I'd say it's a great deal versus the competition.
    For those who installed this last year, how has it held up?