FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Better Screen Protectors: amFilm vs. Whitestone Dome

1,516 posts
Thanks Meter: 208

By KruseLudsMobile, Senior Member on 18th September 2019, 03:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've purchased (but not used yet) the Whitestone Dome screen protector. I've seen videos of both that and also the amFilm being installed. The only difference I saw was the Whitestone had a "bridge" for holding the adhesive bottle while it empties, while the amFilm offers a fingerprint-size cylindrical weight to place over the fingerprint area to reduce the amount of adhesive between the fingerprint sensor and the screen protector.

I see other brands for curing the adhesive with ultraviolet light have suddenly popped up as well.

Thoughts on which is the best?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
18th September 2019, 08:02 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 98

More
My wife has the Whitestone on her note 10+. The fingerprint works fine for her. When I program in my fingerprint it doesn't work well at all. Usually takes 2+ times to unlock it... So I guess it depends on an individuals fingerprint on how well it works... That being said, my wife has already put a hairline crack in the Whitestone. She did the same thing with several Whitestones on her note 8. I have had a Whitestone on my pixel 2xl since it came out and haven't cracked one, while she has cracked 4. My theory is that the adhesive creates a slightly spongy layer under the glass. When the glass is pressed on (like leaning over while in ones tight pockets) , the glass can crack. My wife is an er doctor and is constantly leaning over patients putting pressure on the phone. She always turns the phone towards her leg, so it's not the impact but rather the pressure. My pockets are generally looser and I rarely sit with my phone in my pocket. I assume that is why in almost 2 years I haven't cracked one.
18th September 2019, 05:44 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Think they are both similar. ymmv on the fp sensor.

i'd say go with the amfilm because its cheaper and comes with 2.
18th September 2019, 07:22 PM |#4  
Flag Springfield
Thanks Meter: 1,595

Donate to Me
More
I love my Whitestone Dome on my Note 10+, but I have to admit, if I had known about the AmFilm, I might've gone that direction instead. 2 for $40 is tempting and the also offer a lifetime warranty on replacements. Just pay S&H. Whitestone charges $9.99 S&H for warranty replacements. I assume AmFilm is similar in cost.

Here's my suggestion, if you can afford to eat the $40. Keep the Whitestone and order the AmFilm.

Install the AmFilm and use it for a week. Test sensitivity, durability, scratch resistance, and most importantly, the FP sensor.

Then after a week, rip it off, and install Whitestone Dome. Run the same test. If you prefer Whitestone, leave it on. If you prefer AmFilm, you still have a spare in the box, so rip off the Whitestone and reinstall AmFilm.

Then post on here your thoughts and feelings and why you chose one over the other.
18th September 2019, 07:38 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ridgewood, NJ
Thanks Meter: 208

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Orange 645

I love my Whitestone Dome on my Note 10+, but I have to admit, if I had known about the AmFilm, I might've gone that direction instead. 2 for $40 is tempting and the also offer a lifetime warranty on replacements. Just pay S&H. Whitestone charges $9.99 S&H for warranty replacements. I assume AmFilm is similar in cost.

Here's my suggestion, if you can afford to eat the $40. Keep the Whitestone and order the AmFilm.

Install the AmFilm and use it for a week. Test sensitivity, durability, scratch resistance, and most importantly, the FP sensor.

Then after a week, rip it off, and install Whitestone Dome. Run the same test. If you prefer Whitestone, leave it on. If you prefer AmFilm, you still have a spare in the box, so rip off the Whitestone and reinstall AmFilm.

Then post on here your thoughts and feelings and why you chose one over the other.

Thanks for the input. My situation's a little unique. I went all out when buying this phone with a 512GB 5G Version and a 512GB card installed. I have not used a screen protector in years and my phones are always flawless - my Note 8 that I just turned in for the Note 10 looks like it's brand new still. I work in an office and I keep the phone in my front right pants pocket with nothing else ever in that same pocket. I guess I just got the Whitestone dome because I went a little nuts with this phone and I expect it to last more than two versions (I usually slip versions) - maybe the Note 13 if there is going to be such an animal - even so maybe an excuse for wasting my money. Maybe I'll even return it. Long story short the screen protector already on the phone is fine for now for me and if it ever does start to wear, I'll peel it off and then debate longer about whether or not to use the Whitestone. So in my case actually probably a waste of money. The screen protector that comes on the phone actually goes all the way around the camera hole while the Whitestone has a notch on top of it which I don't really like. Call me nuts but that's my situation lol...

18th September 2019, 07:43 PM |#6  
Flag Springfield
Thanks Meter: 1,595

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KruseLudsMobile

Thanks for the input. My situation's a little unique. I went all out when buying this phone with a 512GB 5G Version and a 512GB card installed. I have not used a screen protector in years and my phones are always flawless - my Note 8 that I just turned in for the Note 10 looks like it's brand new still. I work in an office and I keep the phone in my front right pocket with nothing else ever in that same pocket. I guess I just got the Whitestone domebecause I went a little nuts with this phone and I expect the last more than two versions maybe the note 13 if there is going to be such an animal. Long story short the screen protector already on the phone is fine for now for me and if it ever does start to wear Auto spill it off and then debate longer about whether or not to use the white stone. So in my case actually probably a waste of money. The screen protector that comes on the phone actually goes all the way around the camera hole while the Whitestone has a notch on top for it which I don't really like. Call me nuts but that's my situation lol...

Completely understand and agree. The factory installed screen protector is much better than people give it credit for. My wife used it on her S10+ until she finally scratched it up at the beach. Sandy fingers and all that. I replaced hers with the Ringke Dual Easy Film which she loves and I've used in the past. By the way, even though the sand scratched the funk out of her factory screen protector, the glass underneath was perfect.

And I also agree about the notch. It's my only complaint about the tempered glass screen protectors. Ringke Dual Easy Film actually covers the camera, but doesn't affect picture quality. So it's really invisible.
19th September 2019, 02:28 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I had use Whitestone Dome Glass for Galaxy Note9 and my current phone, Note10. I didn't have any issue so far and fingerprint works great! and they also provides lifetime warranty for every time that you request.
19th September 2019, 07:32 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 191

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMC

My wife has the Whitestone on her note 10+. The fingerprint works fine for her. When I program in my fingerprint it doesn't work well at all. Usually takes 2+ times to unlock it... So I guess it depends on an individuals fingerprint on how well it works... That being said, my wife has already put a hairline crack in the Whitestone. She did the same thing with several Whitestones on her note 8. I have had a Whitestone on my pixel 2xl since it came out and haven't cracked one, while she has cracked 4. My theory is that the adhesive creates a slightly spongy layer under the glass. When the glass is pressed on (like leaning over while in ones tight pockets) , the glass can crack. My wife is an er doctor and is constantly leaning over patients putting pressure on the phone. She always turns the phone towards her leg, so it's not the impact but rather the pressure. My pockets are generally looser and I rarely sit with my phone in my pocket. I assume that is why in almost 2 years I haven't cracked one.

Ok maybe your wife should not be an ER doctor if she is breaking her whitestone crushing it against patients?

I will say that my wife has cracked all of her whitestone protectors, while I only just cracked the one on my Note 9 after almost a year of being break free. I am a contractor who is constantly in situations where phones get hit or impacted (I do use an Otterbox defender case while at work), she works in an office and yet still seems to be breaking her tempered protectors. often Which is exactly why I put a tempered (whitestone) protector on her phone, because otherwise it would be her display that was getting broken, and since I pay for her and my phones on my VZ account.... I need these expensive phones protected as much as possible.
19th September 2019, 11:57 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KruseLudsMobile

I've purchased (but not used yet) the Whitestone Dome screen protector. I've seen videos of both that and also the amFilm being installed. The only difference I saw was the Whitestone had a "bridge" for holding the adhesive bottle while it empties, while the amFilm offers a fingerprint-size cylindrical weight to place over the fingerprint area to reduce the amount of adhesive between the fingerprint sensor and the screen protector.

I see other brands for curing the adhesive with ultraviolet light have suddenly popped up as well.

Thoughts on which is the best?

I love Whitestone Dome and have used them for a long time. My brother just got the Note 10+ and his works great. I have the S10+ and it has been fine for me. I broke mine when I dropped it getting out of my car, but luckily it was just the dome glass and not my screen. The warranty fee of $9.99 is annoying, but it is better than buying a new one. I don't know anything about AM Film, but Whitestone has been around for a long time and I think we are seeing a lot of knock-offs start to come out. I would say use Whitestone because the quality is probably better.
If you shop there website, they usually have some good discounts available. My brother got his for 20% off and when I bought mine it was 30% off.
20th September 2019, 12:23 AM |#10  
Flag Irvine

More
I was looking into getting the two for my new Note 10 but I heard amFilm only gives one replacement per purchase compared to Whitestone which replaces as many times as you need to. So even if you break or mess up installing your replacement, you're going to have to buy a whole new kit at regular retail cost again.

Honestly, I'm leaning more towards the Whitestone one just because it's only a few bucks more and I've heard it's more reliable than amFilm. Plus the warranty stuff I mentioned lol.
20th September 2019, 06:43 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I use whitestone dome. I have since the note 8. It's credible. AmFilm is not.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)