FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

At&t galaxy note 10+

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Tony28y, Junior Member on 10th January 2020, 05:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi there.
I bought an unlocked American AT&T Note 10+ and brought it to Mexico. I have it with Telcel as my carrier. My question is, how can I update it to Android 10?
I've checked the software update through the settings menu and I'm still on the freaking August security patch and it says I'm up-to-date.

Thanks in advance, my friends.
12th January 2020, 02:57 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
I think there's an issue with the on the air update function for the Galaxy Note 10+. Mine is doing the same, it's stuck on July 2019 security patch and Android 9, and keeps saying it's up to date when I check for updates. And I think it's causing issues with apps, Disney+ says my device is incompatible, and now Netflix started saying the same and won't update through the store.

I'm stuck with AT&T software because I need wifi calling, but since you're using the phone abroad, you aren't. You can get a non-carrier firmware for your model (the model number is in Settings, About phone) here: https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/ga...plus/firmware/.

Get all the files you need ahead of time, and read the instructions thoroughly and understand them before you start, anything that happens to your device is on you. Backup all your data outside the phone, once you start there's no going back. You'll need a PC and a USB cable that reliably connects the phone to the computer, if you have one of those cables that disconnects with the slightest touch, get another one.
13th January 2020, 02:47 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 327

More
My friend had this issue with his att Galaxy S10 and we installed an update from firmware science and then it started updating normally.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
13th January 2020, 04:07 AM |#4  
Flag Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 381

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by josemald

I think there's an issue with the on the air update function for the Galaxy Note 10+. Mine is doing the same, it's stuck on July 2019 security patch and Android 9, and keeps saying it's up to date when I check for updates. And I think it's causing issues with apps, Disney+ says my device is incompatible, and now Netflix started saying the same and won't update through the store.

I'm stuck with AT&T software because I need wifi calling, but since you're using the phone abroad, you aren't. You can get a non-carrier firmware for your model (the model number is in Settings, About phone) here: https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/ga...plus/firmware/.

Get all the files you need ahead of time, and read the instructions thoroughly and understand them before you start, anything that happens to your device is on you. Backup all your data outside the phone, once you start there's no going back. You'll need a PC and a USB cable that reliably connects the phone to the computer, if you have one of those cables that disconnects with the slightest touch, get another one.

I have an ATT Note 10 Plus too - I flashed N975U TMB firmware (it is exactly the same as ATT Essentially) I flashed firmware from Frija (for SM-N975U - with TMB entered in the CSC field) - flashed that - with my ATT Sim Card in the phone - and when the phone booted up - I had the ATT Logo on Boot - and WiFi Calling and Video Calling both work perfectly.

YOu don't need to wait for the update to come thru - you can flash the Firmware in the thread for N975U Firmware using ODIN and you will be fine.
13th January 2020, 11:54 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekser

I have an ATT Note 10 Plus too - I flashed N975U TMB firmware (it is exactly the same as ATT Essentially) I flashed firmware from Frija (for SM-N975U - with TMB entered in the CSC field) - flashed that - with my ATT Sim Card in the phone - and when the phone booted up - I had the ATT Logo on Boot - and WiFi Calling and Video Calling both work perfectly.

YOu don't need to wait for the update to come thru - you can flash the Firmware in the thread for N975U Firmware using ODIN and you will be fine.

Thanks. Do you know if the Software Update function works too? I skimmed the thread and saw something about OTA updates not working with some firmwares. I'll start reading the 27 pages in a bit, but thought about asking since your case is the same as mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSilver13

My friend had this issue with his att Galaxy S10 and we installed an update from firmware science and then it started updating normally.

My version is not listed in the drop down menu, and from the update sizes these don't look to be cumulative. Still, thanks for the suggestion. I'd love to be able to just flash an update without wiping my phone.
14th January 2020, 02:34 AM |#6  
springfield.il
Thanks Meter: 4,571

More
Previous posters are correct. At&t is horrible with OTA updates. My Note 8..9..and now 10 has never gotten an OTA I always have to flash the updates myself. And yes the firmware is the same and it will provision to your sim. I'm kinda OCD and prefer the hardline flashing to ota...lol

14th January 2020, 03:43 AM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchieboy

Previous posters are correct. At&t is horrible with OTA updates. My Note 8..9..and now 10 has never gotten an OTA I always have to flash the updates myself. And yes the firmware is the same and it will provision to your sim. I'm kinda OCD and prefer the hardline flashing to ota...lol

I think it's more than just AT&T being horrible with updates, if it was that then none of the phones would be getting one. It's almost like there's a lot of phones that came with defective software that doesn't pull updates, or Samsung or AT&T have so many software versions and they forgot to publish updates for some of those versions.

I haven't been flashing phones for a few years now, since I had a Galaxy S4, mainly because how time consuming it was to reconfigure the phone from scratch every time and my company requiring official status to get email. So I'm out of the loop, but I've never heard of some carrier phones getting updates and other not for the same model.
14th January 2020, 05:32 AM |#8  
springfield.il
Thanks Meter: 4,571

More
Well as of now my Note 9 still sits on November patch as well as many others I know that are on At&t

The Following User Says Thank You to butchieboy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift butchieboy Ad-Free
14th January 2020, 07:06 PM |#9  

More
Mine is on July patch and it's never received an update since I got it, that's why I think there's something else going on besides normal ATT slowpokeness.
15th January 2020, 03:43 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 129

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by josemald

Mine is on July patch and it's never received an update since I got it, that's why I think there's something else going on besides normal ATT slowpokeness.

I thought that I read that even if you have a carrier unlocked ATT Branded Model phone, you will not get any OTA updates unless you put an active ATT SIM back into the phone.

I have a Samsung Unlocked Note 10+ and flashed the ATT firmware (ATT UserData file with probably the rest of the files being from T-Mo) from the time I've owned the phone since the launch month. I have never received even one OTA. When I log into my ATT online account, several places indicate unknown phone type. One dropdown menu does show that it's a Note 10+. ATT classifies me as a "Bring Your Own Phone" customer and a rep told me I'll never get an OTA!
Now, I bought my Husband a new Samsung Unlocked (XAA) model S10e last month. I immediately flashed the ATT UserData file and the July Security firmware. I used his old ATT SIM (SIM has been in the ATT system for 4 years). I went to Software update and received all ATT OTAs up to the December Security patch with Android 10. I just checked to update the software for the January Security patch but it says I'm up to date.
I'm not sure if I re-flash the ATT UserData file and firmware starting with Bootloader 2 (can't remember which month the security patch was for) if I would ever get the OTAs or not. Don't feel like risking a factory restore right now since it takes me forever to re-setup my phone (even with SmartSwitch).
15th January 2020, 05:05 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrzoo

I thought that I read that even if you have a carrier unlocked ATT Branded Model phone, you will not get any OTA updates unless you put an active ATT SIM back into the phone.

I have a Samsung Unlocked Note 10+ and flashed the ATT firmware (ATT UserData file with probably the rest of the files being from T-Mo) from the time I've owned the phone since the launch month. I have never received even one OTA. When I log into my ATT online account, several places indicate unknown phone type. One dropdown menu does show that it's a Note 10+. ATT classifies me as a "Bring Your Own Phone" customer and a rep told me I'll never get an OTA!
Now, I bought my Husband a new Samsung Unlocked (XAA) model S10e last month. I immediately flashed the ATT UserData file and the July Security firmware. I used his old ATT SIM (SIM has been in the ATT system for 4 years). I went to Software update and received all ATT OTAs up to the December Security patch with Android 10. I just checked to update the software for the January Security patch but it says I'm up to date.
I'm not sure if I re-flash the ATT UserData file and firmware starting with Bootloader 2 (can't remember which month the security patch was for) if I would ever get the OTAs or not. Don't feel like risking a factory restore right now since it takes me forever to re-setup my phone (even with SmartSwitch).

It's more than just the sim card, as I use AT&T on an AT&T branded phone. I checked my account and it also shows it as Unknown Phone. It may be because I used my sim card to add an old AT&T dumb phone to my account so I can then request an unlock code. I'll try switching to another smartphone, see if my account picks it up so then I can switch back to the Note 10+. When I first got the Note 10+, I still used my S8 for some time, and every time I switched phone it appeared on the AT&T app or website.

Thanks for the idea. If it works, you saved me from flashing from scratch and spending several hours configuring the phone.

UPDATE:
I got the att site to recognize the phone by putting the sim in another smart phone and then putting it back in the Note 10+. But still the phone doesn't pull OTA updates.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)