FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Fingerprint scanner fix

1,655 posts
Thanks Meter: 332

By Apo11on, Senior Member on 10th November 2019, 02:03 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
Is there Samsung or 3rd party fix for fingerprint scanner for Note 10+? I'm not even using screen protector, and that thing is accurate 50% of the time at best. Half the time it just exceeds 5 attempts and forces me to use password/pin. By far and away, the worst fingerprint scanner I've seen on any fingerprint enabled phones I've owned.
10th November 2019, 03:13 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 853

More
Do you have all the latest software in Samsung Members app and on the phone done? Mine works 10x better then it did on the S10+
10th November 2019, 05:19 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
When the time you have trouble scanning your finger, log in ur phone with password, then immediately create another set of fingerprint with the same finger. Ur successful rate will increase
10th November 2019, 06:03 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandroidnut

Do you have all the latest software in Samsung Members app and on the phone done? Mine works 10x better then it did on the S10+

I don't use, or even have installed Samsung Members app on my phone... What software specifically do you think I need to have up-to-date, in order for fingerprint scanner to work better?
10th November 2019, 06:09 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by torickray

When the time you have trouble scanning your finger, log in ur phone with password, then immediately create another set of fingerprint with the same finger. Ur successful rate will increase

Rather than trying workarounds, I'm asking about the actual Samsung official patch/fix, which rumored to have been released for this issue. Articles like this one make me believe it exists and it's only a matter of finding and installing/flashing it.
10th November 2019, 06:19 AM |#6  
Flag COATZACOALCOS
Thanks Meter: 536

Donate to Me
More
For starters, the fingerprint scanner works fine since device release, now, the so called ffix is intended to prevent a potential security issue, appearing in some devices when people used silicone screen protectors, and NOT becase the fp scanner was inaccurate or such, and finally, the patch is available when carriers decide to issue it, in my case, the patch became available about 3 or 4 days ago, and it brings along the Nov security patch and some camera improvements
10th November 2019, 06:59 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by winol

For starters, the fingerprint scanner works fine since device release, now, the so called ffix is intended to prevent a potential security issue, appearing in some devices when people used silicone screen protectors, and NOT becase the fp scanner was inaccurate or such, and finally, the patch is available when carriers decide to issue it, in my case, the patch became available about 3 or 4 days ago, and it brings along the Nov security patch and some camera improvements

Don't really understand the point/purpose of your comment "the fingerprint scanner works fine since device release" - it clearly doesn't work anywhere near what could be described as "fine" for me, and it should be fairly obvious from my post. That's why this thread was opened in the first place. It may be working fine *for you*, on your specific model of Note 10+ and your specific firmware/kernel/patch level, but what's the point of bringing up what works on your phone? I'm not trying to resolve issues with *your* device in this thread...

You're also making a lot of assumptions in your post, which are incorrect in my case. I'm not using my carrier's device - I'm using device from another country, which has not only different firmware than the one my carrier's Note 10+ has, but also different hardware. My carrier's Note 10+ is Snapdragon version and I'm using Exynos Note 10+. On top of that, my device is rooted, so even if I were using my carrier's phone model and firmware - I would still not get carrier's software updates via OTA because of root. For all of the above reasons, software updates, released by my carrier for their own version of Note 10+ have no connection or relevancy to me.

You are also incorrect in your assertion/assumption what changes fingerprint related November update introduced - it's NOT only for screen protector related security issue fix. Below is relatively full changelog - see item next to last
What's new:
* November security patches (Samsung Android Security Updates)
* Integration of Samsung Cloud and Microsoft OneDrive (Sync Gallery with OneDrive)
* Provides a natural and frictionless mobile to desktop data continuity experience for your pictures through OneDrive integration.
* The performance of Bixby has been improved
* Improved fingerprint recognition algorithm
* The security of your device has been improved

Here is a link to official Samsung changelog, which proves you wrong about the nature of fingerprint update:
https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-N975F/AUT/doc.html
10th November 2019, 08:24 AM |#8  
Flag COATZACOALCOS

Donate to Me
More
The thing is, your device may be malfunctioning or something, because mine works fine since Sept 11, when I bought it, if you use an unbranded device, you just have to wait until the patch is released for your device, that's it, plain and simple, I just was saying that, regarding the fingerprint issue, samsung is seeding a patch that not only adesses the fp scanner, but also some more things, along with the Nov security patch, there is no point in trying to "prove me wrong" as I was by no means trying to convince you of ANYTHING, you will have to wait for the patch, you talked about "rumors", no, there are no rumors, the patch has been issued, unlocked, unbranded devices get updates sometimes later than carrier distributed ones, so, cool off, do not get overly defensive and agressive, you asked about the patch, you got some answers

Simple,
The Following User Says Thank You to winol For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift winol Ad-Free
10th November 2019, 09:04 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by winol

The thing is, your device may be malfunctioning or something, because mine works fine since Sept 11, when I bought it, if you use an unbranded device, you just have to wait until the patch is released for your device, that's it, plain and simple, I just was saying that, regarding the fingerprint issue, samsung is seeding a patch that not only adesses the fp scanner, but also some more things, along with the Nov security patch, there is no point in trying to "prove me wrong" as I was by no means trying to convince you of ANYTHING, you will have to wait for the patch, you talked about "rumors", no, there are no rumors, the patch has been issued, unlocked, unbranded devices get updates sometimes later than carrier distributed ones, so, cool off, do not get overly defensive and agressive, you asked about the patch, you got some answers

Simple,

Here is a quote from your post: ".. the so called ffix is intended to prevent a potential security issue, appearing in some devices when people used silicone screen protectors, and NOT because the fp scanner was inaccurate or such"- the obnoxious capitalization of "not" and this entire quote is definitely you, arguing and trying to disproof what I said about fingerprint scanner fix being available. I personally consider lack of willingness to admit ones own, obvious mistakes to be one of the most repulsive qualities in a human being, and you seem to have that quality... I strongly disagree with your statement that "there is no point" in proving you wrong: First, that's not what is happening here - you were the one, who disputed my comments first and started an argument with the above quote. The overall tone of your post was not helpful, fairly hostile and condescending. Second, you were wrong as Samsung's official firmware changelog shows. So, what's happening here is not me, trying to prove you wrong, but me, defending my original comments, which contain correct information, against your false, and misleading dispute of them about the nature of fingerprint scanner fix. I corrected you rather calmly, so it seems to me you're the one, getting riled up over your own mistakes and you should be the one to cool off.

You are also incorrect in pretty much everything you said about devices, which you called "unbranded", including your assumption that carrier branded firmware gets released first. That is a horrible mistake to make, and it shows you don't have any understanding of software/firmware development process, and how Samsung <-> carrier relationships work. I don't have to wait for anything because Samsung original firmware updates get released waaaay before carriers release their own branded version with their built-in bloatware. Places like this have firmware for my phone, available for download waaaaaay before you get your carrier's OTA updates.
10th November 2019, 03:52 PM |#10  
Flag COATZACOALCOS

Donate to Me
More
Now it is clear, you are just trolling here
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winol For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift winol Ad-Free
10th November 2019, 08:29 PM |#11  
Forum Moderator
Flag Midlands, UK
Thanks Meter: 4,839

More
Thread closed.

No place here for pointless and acerbic arguments.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LenAsh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LenAsh Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread