FORUMS

Fingerprint sensor useless

506 posts
Thanks Meter: 95

Post Reply Email Thread
I have had this phone since September and came from Huawei P30 Pro, before that Honor V10, Huawei P20 which had fast fingerprint sensor and worked 99% of the time first time .

I cannot believe how bad this sensor is in real use, unlock success rate is about 5% no matter how many times I delete and Reregistered all fingers.

I scan my prints and test in the setup and they are acknowledged correctly but once I start using for real to unlock the phone or approve stuff it rarely works.

I have tried all kinds of angles and strengths of press but it's useless.

Running the beta in hope of improvement but it's still useless.

Did I get a bad unit here or is Samsung just totally crap with fingerprint sensors?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
6th December 2019, 08:27 PM |#2  
Flag Farnborough
Thanks Meter: 734

Donate to Me
More
After you've registered your fingerprints.... re-register them to improve the accuracy of the scanner. Also, if you find it sluggish, reduce the animations in the settings...

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
6th December 2019, 09:36 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Frankfurt
Thanks Meter: 95

More
I am reregistering prints to try and improve and after every update hoping something is better.

As said when setting up and checking it is fine but when I have to use for example with 2FA app to approve a log in it just fails "fingerprint not recognised" before eventually going to pin.

Will try the animation setting and see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
6th December 2019, 11:03 PM |#4  
for a while, the Note10+ fingerprint reader had a terrible success rate, no matter what "hacks" i used to try to make it better (i.e. multiple fingers, the "test/learning" hack, etc.) — loads of "make sure you cover the entire sensor" and "no match found" etc.

this tip might be crazy, but it does work: MOISTURIZE LIGHTLY.

100% serious.

my right thumb was not able to unlock my Note while i was working at my desk. super frustrating. looked at my hands, thought they were looking dry, so i put a dab of glycerin hand cream on and BANG: every single damn time now, regardless of whether my thumb is vertical or sideways.
7th December 2019, 03:17 AM |#5  
I got my Note 10+ today and have spend a long time setting it up. Once I registered my prints I had not issues (unless I didn't press firmly enough on the screen). It's been fine for me thus far.
The Following User Says Thank You to Illusive Man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Illusive Man Ad-Free
7th December 2019, 07:51 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
You shouldn't compare ultrasonic fingerprint sensors that are in their early stages with optical ones that have been out there for years. Ultrasonic is much more secure. And saying that success rate is only 5% means that you either have a defective unit or need to change the way you use it. I have a success rare of no less that 90%... not as accurate and quick as my old note 8 with its optical sensor but I got used to it
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ghassan haddad For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ghassan haddad Ad-Free
7th December 2019, 01:16 PM |#7  
Flag Maple Heights, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 192

More
I've had no issues with the fingerprint sensor, before or after the update.
24th February 2020, 03:47 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 204

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM Radio

for a while, the Note10+ fingerprint reader had a terrible success rate, no matter what "hacks" i used to try to make it better (i.e. multiple fingers, the "test/learning" hack, etc.) — loads of "make sure you cover the entire sensor" and "no match found" etc.

this tip might be crazy, but it does work: MOISTURIZE LIGHTLY.

100% serious.

my right thumb was not able to unlock my Note while i was working at my desk. super frustrating. looked at my hands, thought they were looking dry, so i put a dab of glycerin hand cream on and BANG: every single damn time now, regardless of whether my thumb is vertical or sideways.

heh yeah classic S10+ fingerprint reader from Samsung. I also found the same "you need to lick your finger first. Yeah, it's not a joke. "
24th February 2020, 08:43 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 101

More
yep lick your finger first does actually work, if you have dry hands the scanner is mostly trash, use moisturiser/lick/damp your finger and it will work near 100% reliability. basically if you don't have clammy hands it will likely be hit and miss.

actually found myself in bars using the condensation on my drinks to help me unlock the phone, it seems an odd thing but it seems moisture in your skin is a massive deciding factor on it working.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)