FORUMS

TMobile startup tune

1,518 posts
Thanks Meter: 321

By BigE, Senior Member on 13th May 2020, 05:58 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I am hopping between U1 XAA and U TMB often. I like the TMB better for quality of calls and the only thing that runs me nuts us the horrific startup jingle on the TMobile versions. Once upon a time there has been an app called 'Silent boot' that worked it's magic, but it is an old apk and it does not work on Android 10 ( sometimes it does, most of the time it doesn't. Keep reminded SD US phones are bootloader locked and can't be rooted.

On normal days , COVID-19 aside, I turn my phone off on flights ( the only times I can rest is the 2-3 hours at 35,000 feet. Then landing is a nightmare noisy startup jingle, combined with all the following messeges coming in. I ALWAYS forget to put my phone on silent before turning it off ... then putting a finger in the speaker to muffle it..

I searched for quite some time, could not find a solution. Obviously the other option is not to turn phone off and keep it on airplane mode, but I found those twice a day 'off' time is a life saving on my poor battery. I normally on two flights per day.. and driving rural areas kill the battery dead very easy.

Any solution ? TIA..
13th May 2020, 08:14 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,316

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE

I am hopping between U1 XAA and U TMB often. I like the TMB better for quality of calls and the only thing that runs me nuts us the horrific startup jingle on the TMobile versions. Once upon a time there has been an app called 'Silent boot' that worked it's magic, but it is an old apk and it does not work on Android 10 ( sometimes it does, most of the time it doesn't. Keep reminded SD US phones are bootloader locked and can't be rooted.

I searched for quite some time, could not find a solution. Obviously the other option is not to turn phone off and keep it on airplane mode, but I found those twice a day 'off' time is a life saving on my poor battery. I normally on two flights per day.. and driving rural areas kill the battery dead very easy.

Any solution ? TIA..

Long-time Silent Boot user,definitely disappointed that app stopped working on Android 10.
Just discovered this a few minutes ago, (System Startup Sound) seems to be working for me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...emstartupsound

Just tap "Go to Sound Page", move the volume slider all the way to the left (low). Working on both the Note 10+ 5G / OnePlus 8, no more T-Mobile jingle on start-up. 👍
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KOLIOSIS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KOLIOSIS Ad-Free
15th May 2020, 02:04 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Southern CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOLIOSIS

Long-time Silent Boot user,definitely disappointed that app stopped working on Android 10.
Just discovered this a few minutes ago, (System Startup Sound) seems to be working for me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...emstartupsound

Just tap "Go to Sound Page", move the volume slider all the way to the left (low). Working on both the Note 10+ 5G / OnePlus 8, no more T-Mobile jingle on start-up. 👍

Does not work for me..
15th May 2020, 02:37 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2,380

More
If you mute System in volume menu you can prevent the jingle....not a perfect solution if you use system sounds such as keyboard click etc....but it won't interrupt notifications, ringtones or app volume...

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
The Following User Says Thank You to louforgiveno For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift louforgiveno Ad-Free
15th May 2020, 02:48 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Southern CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by louforgiveno

If you mute System in volume menu you can prevent the jingle....not a perfect solution if you use system sounds such as keyboard click etc....but it won't interrupt notifications, ringtones or app volume...

Thanks I know, but the thing is I never remember to do that.. and every time I turn the phone on it is full blown volume.. I am now looking at automate it and write my own script to kill volume before shut down, and out system volume back in after boot.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigE For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BigE Ad-Free
18th May 2020, 06:37 AM |#6  
Flag Seattle, WA, USA
Thanks Meter: 82

More
Quote:

I am hopping between U1 XAA and U TMB often. I like the TMB better for quality of calls

T-Mo subscriber here but always prefer unlocked because not a fan of carrier bloat. But since I use my phone for, well, phone calls your statement here intrigues me. Do you mind telling us a bit more about this quality-of-call improvement?
19th May 2020, 02:43 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Southern CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRiley

T-Mo subscriber here but always prefer unlocked because not a fan of carrier bloat. But since I use my phone for, well, phone calls your statement here intrigues me. Do you mind telling us a bit more about this quality-of-call improvement?

Nothing really scientific, or measurable, but when on the TMB firmware it seems to have less issues with the quality of calls. On the XAA I have areas in the house that are notorious to be where the other end will be choppy , and same caller, same location is just fine on TMB. At the beginning I was thinking this is a placebo effect. After it was consistent several times, I started to think maybe it is not a coincidence after all. Like you, I have the XAA purchased phone directly from Samsung, yet the TMB code seem a tad better. As I ststed- a user experience, no proof..
20th May 2020, 08:31 AM |#8  
Flag Seattle, WA, USA
Thanks Meter: 82

More
Quote:

Like you, I have the XAA purchased phone directly from Samsung, yet the TMB code seem a tad better. As I ststed- a user experience, no proof..

Thanks for this...I just might try the same experiment here.
23rd May 2020, 01:50 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Southern CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRiley

Thanks for this...I just might try the same experiment here.

BTW, although I have set WiFi calls on, and although I have 400Mbit/sec connection, I have less issues making calls on TMobile network than on my own WiFi.. and that's where TMB is better than XAA firmware..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)