FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Unlocked vs Tmobile/Flashing Carrier

1,493 posts
Thanks Meter: 199

By antawnm26, Senior Member on 8th August 2019, 09:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm curious as to what doesn't work when you purchase an unlocked version vs Tmobile branded? Im told you may have issues with wifi calling/rcs/video calling/and visual voice mail....
2. How easy would it be once you get the unlocked version to flash the carrier software to make everything work and then flash back to original if needed to be for resale or warranty
The reason im asking is that samsung is giving a bigger refund on the unlocked version...
The Following User Says Thank You to antawnm26 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift antawnm26 Ad-Free

8th August 2019, 10:08 PM |#2  
Flag Kalamazoo
Thanks Meter: 714

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by antawnm26

I'm curious as to what doesn't work when you purchase an unlocked version vs Tmobile branded? Im told you may have issues with wifi calling/rcs/video calling/and visual voice mail....
2. How easy would it be once you get the unlocked version to flash the carrier software to make everything work and then flash back to original if needed to be for resale or warranty
The reason im asking is that samsung is giving a bigger refund on the unlocked version...

If you live in the US I think the unlocked version is just a SIM unlock. I think it is still the snapdragon version. Which means it will not be bootloader unlocked. I think you have to get the exynos version from an online retailer.
9th August 2019, 12:27 AM |#3  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 153

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by antawnm26

Note 9 was able to do this and I did it. I don't see a reason why you shouldn't be able o do it in Note 10+ once carrier firmware become available to be downloaded.
9th August 2019, 02:55 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I pre-ordered the unlocked version myself and I have AT&T so it should be as easy as waiting for the carrier firmwares to become available on SamMobile and flashing with Odin. My interest is now with DeX supported with microsoft if Odin is even neccessary to flash firmwares anymore?
9th August 2019, 02:56 AM |#5  
Flag Belton
Thanks Meter: 16

Donate to Me
More
from what i can see on sprint i think they are using the qualcomm chip, i could be wrong, its labeled as SDM 855 Octa-Core SDR8150 and when searching that in google qualcomm documentation on the 855 pops up
9th August 2019, 03:13 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Very curious about this myself. I preordered the unlocked version because that gave me more value for my trade in. I'm curious if I get the unlocked version and flash TMobile carrier software. Will I then get tmobile updates ota?
10th August 2019, 12:04 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 140

More
It's been the same for years now, hardware wise phones are the same, you'll need princey odin to flash unlocked/carrier firmwares. I buy unlocked and flash the carrier unlocked firmware. No bloat but it has the carrier specific radio. I prefer the native caller Id, no bloat, and the RTT over the carrier bloat and video calling. Google duo is better anyway
The Following User Says Thank You to black96ss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift black96ss Ad-Free
12th August 2019, 02:22 AM |#8  
Flag Hurricane, WV
Thanks Meter: 695

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by black96ss

It's been the same for years now, hardware wise phones are the same, you'll need princey odin to flash unlocked/carrier firmwares. I buy unlocked and flash the carrier unlocked firmware. No bloat but it has the carrier specific radio. I prefer the native caller Id, no bloat, and the RTT over the carrier bloat and video calling. Google duo is better anyway

Are you TMO or ATT? I have accounts with both.
I know WiFi Calling, which is what I really need as far as carrier goes, is usually more difficult with ATT.
If you are TMO can you get WFC to work without flashing carrier?

How long do you usually have to wait for the carrier firmware to come out?
12th August 2019, 02:44 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 140

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrompton

Are you TMO or ATT? I have accounts with both.
I know WiFi Calling, which is what I really need as far as carrier goes, is usually more difficult with ATT.
If you are TMO can you get WFC to work without flashing carrier?

How long do you usually have to wait for the carrier firmware to come out?

Wifi calling has no issues on unlocked firmware with tmo. At&t I'm not sure but if you flash the att csc and and cp files, I do believe that's all it takes. I believe you need to flash the at&T AP file.
The Following User Says Thank You to black96ss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift black96ss Ad-Free
12th August 2019, 03:45 AM |#10  
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 128

More
My Note 9 is unlocked. Using on T-MOBILE with no issues with WiFi calling. I am not able to use the stock visual voicemail though which I would prefer. With T-MOBILE I'm forced to use their visual voicemail which really sucks. Does anyone else know if they're is a way to use the stock visual voicemail on T-Mobile?
12th August 2019, 04:50 AM |#11  
Flag Hurricane, WV
Thanks Meter: 695

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAwesome75

My Note 9 is unlocked. Using on T-MOBILE with no issues with WiFi calling. I am not able to use the stock visual voicemail though which I would prefer. With T-MOBILE I'm forced to use their visual voicemail which really sucks. Does anyone else know if they're is a way to use the stock visual voicemail on T-Mobile?

I saw posts that allow you to do that if you flash carrier firmware

I just use Google Voice and forward unanswered calls to there
The Following User Says Thank You to jcrompton For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcrompton Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)