11th September 2019, 06:03 PM |#4  
Flag Springfield
Thanks Meter: 1,513

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by my370z

It's not available for my us unlocked version yet

Unlocked typically gets the update after all the carriers push out their update. It's the downside of buying the unlocked version.
11th September 2019, 06:14 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I kinda don't understand this. How are these updates linked to carriers? I thought these updates are made available over the internet, so if I am on wifi internet, with no sim inside my phone, what any carrier has to do with this update? What am I missing here? These updates are not available on samsung servers?

I recently bought a Nokia 8110 4g phone. Tried to update its firmware with no success over wifi (KaiOS). As soon as I took out the SIM, it found the update and updated with no problem.

Why my Note 10+ would be linked to any carrier? I did not bought it through a carrier and it is not unlocked. It is bought from Singapore and it is SM-N975F/DS (Global) version, while I am being in Europe.

Can someone shed some light into this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190911-201247_Software update.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	4818270  
12th September 2019, 02:24 AM |#6  
Flag Levittown, PA
Thanks Meter: 170

More
Samsung holds on the Unlocked firmware update until the carrier's start pushing. At least in the USA.
12th September 2019, 06:33 AM |#7  

More
Yeah, but it is unclear to my what is "carrier pushing" and why it is needed. Over the internet, Samsung servers could do this w/o any form of carrier involvement or knowledge. Why "carrier" is in in this chain?!? It is like my Windows would be updated only when my internet service provider wants it.
12th September 2019, 08:33 AM |#8  
Flag Southern California
Thanks Meter: 68

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ipaq

Yeah, but it is unclear to my what is "carrier pushing" and why it is needed. Over the internet, Samsung servers could do this w/o any form of carrier involvement or knowledge. Why "carrier" is in in this chain?!? It is like my Windows would be updated only when my internet service provider wants it.

Exactly, Google and handset manufacturers need to step in! Imagine if Apple let carriers modify iOS! That would never happen! That was a good analogy by the way!
12th September 2019, 10:00 AM |#9  
Flag Malolos City
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

I kinda don't understand this. How are these updates linked to carriers? I thought these updates are made available over the internet, so if I am on wifi internet, with no sim inside my phone, what any carrier has to do with this update? What am I missing here? These updates are not available on samsung servers?

I recently bought a Nokia 8110 4g phone. Tried to update its firmware with no success over wifi (KaiOS). As soon as I took out the SIM, it found the update and updated with no problem.

Why my Note 10+ would be linked to any carrier? I did not bought it through a carrier and it is not unlocked. It is bought from Singapore and it is SM-N975F/DS (Global) version, while I am being in Europe.

Can someone shed some light into this?

Same thought. I stay here in Singapore & I bought it directly from Samsung, until now no OTA update. In Singapore, network providers never lock any smartphone, but 3 major networks here have different CSC (SIN/STH/MM1), mine was the non-network Singapore CSC which is XSP, still to no avail. I am forced to update via odin because of this.
12th September 2019, 12:46 PM |#10  
Flag London, UK
Thanks Meter: 118

More
Quote:

This is because the carriers can customise the firmwares for their network. (add in extra apps; turn options on or off etc.) so therefore the carriers have to approve each and every new firmware that's developed by Samsung.

Samsung will do the actual "pushing" of the carrier-cusomised firmware, but only once the carrier gives them permission to do so.
The Following User Says Thank You to stuclark For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stuclark Ad-Free
12th September 2019, 01:42 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuclark

This is because the carriers can customise the firmwares for their network. (add in extra apps; turn options on or off etc.) so therefore the carriers have to approve each and every new firmware that's developed by Samsung.
[...]

This is most probably stupid and needs to stop.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)