[17Jun20][Guide] [P/Q]How to root Note10/Note 10+ & Flash TWRP (Exynos only)

Search This thread

AMN35

Jan 12, 2013
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 6T
Well, have to say that rooting a Note 10+ 5g (SM-N976B, Android V12 build N976BXXS8HWA3) with Magisk is the most painful rooting experience I've had so far! I bought one off eBay as fancied a phone with a SDCARD slot ….

After following the guides, and immediately after powering off from flashing Magisk via Odin, and then vol up + pwr, I found the phone always came up with a grey Android logo and then "erased", then booted with no Magisk present, and didn't go into stock recovery as intended.

Here's my updated install notes, which may be helpful:

So after flashing Magisk from the original post's instructions:

1. Remove USB cable, let it reboot normally with no key presses
  2. Setup phone, connect to Wifi etc, Install Magisk App, power off phone
  3. Then with USB cable connected, keep Vol up + pwr pressed to get into Stock recovery
  4. In Stock Recovery, Factory reset and power off, disconnect USB Cable
  5. Then with USB cable re-connected hold Vol up + Pwr to boot and let go of both a second or two after the Samsung splash screen appears after the bootloader warning
  6. Load Magisk App up and it should now show installed and should say additional setup is required and to reboot. (Reboot from within Magisk or method in Step 5)

The first time I rooted with Magisk, it rebooted every time with Magisk loaded but the second time I rooted, it always required the USB cable plugged in at step 5…… Anyway Just make sure to select reboot to recovery from within the Magisk App, and you won't require the USB cable etc, which is a real pain.

I also tried patching latest TWRP with Magisk but Magisk would not load and just stalled at the splash screen, but TWRP loaded ok…. I'd rather have Magisk than TWRP so gave up on TWRP….

I think this may be my last ever Samsung phone!

spambayes

Oct 13, 2009
I have a Note 10 with stock Android Pie firmware. Should I update to Android 12 before rooting or root then update to 12. Is the latter possible and/or easier/better?

tester2

Dec 1, 2006
Note 10 owner here.

I have question to experienced users:
I am on stock ROM from December 2022. It is advisable to upgrade to latest security ROM (may 2023) before rooting? Should I upgrade BL firmware to the latest too?

Or it is better to root phone with ROM with older security patches?

tester2

Dec 1, 2006
It is advisable to upgrade to latest security ROM (may 2023) before rooting?
Or it is better to root phone with ROM with older security patches?
I answer to my own question: Magisk patching works fine with April's 2023 firmware N970FXXS8HWC3.
But beware that in this firmware Recovery (and in consequence root) is accessible only when USB-C cable is connected.
Contrary to this May's 2022 firmware N970FXXS8HVE9 have Recovery accessible just by button combo.

Galaktikon

Jun 2, 2023
So, I succesfully rooted the phone, restarted twice after installing LSXposed and Rihu. But then I restarted my phone again, and now I do not have root! How? I really dont want to have to reinstall and sign into everything again

tester2

Dec 1, 2006
This is how last security patches of Android 12 on latest few Samsung firmwares works.
There are at least 2 posts on a few latest pages of this thread about entering recovery with USB cable.
But good that you figure it out.

Karl Brunton

May 6, 2014
I have successfully rooted my note 10+ 5g with Magisk. I have root access and superuser access is granted to apps that require it.
I rooted because I need to recover old photos I deleted. Some memorable ones I didn't want to lose.
I have tried to use Diskdigger app but when I run a scan the app is not finding a single file.
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but all partitions that I can try and scan have /dev/apnfitdolj/.magisk/mirror withing the partition name. I don't remember seeing this pathname on other devices.
Hopefully someone can help. Never had an issue with this app in the past on older devices.

Ogriv

Jul 15, 2014
Hi guys,

I think my initial attempt at rooting might’ve been successful but I didn’t know you had to boot via recovery mode to enable it!

I’ve since flashed several times over and now I’m encountering this error msg: "only official release binaries are allowed to be flashed"

Anyway around this?
Edit-----------------------------------------------------------------------
GOT IT! Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G ROOTED! IN YOUR FACE SAMSUNG!!! muahahaha! I gotta say, it was HELL rooting this phone. Thanks to all the devs and support/help from this site. I was following this guide here:

https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-root-...mal-rmm-kg-state-october-patch-later.4027089/

I only did this part of the guide (the rest I didn't trust, make sure you’re connected to WIFI):

Go to settings, look for time and date automatic time zones, turn it off and set date back 8 days from now (example 30th today change date to 22nd) restart device. Now go straight back into automatic time zones settings and turn it back on. Again reboot device, when device reboots turn it off. You can now enter download mode and it should say checking instead of prenormal that means you good to go.
So instead of flashing what was suggested, I just flashed the modified AP magisk file and it worked!

I'm so happy, Gameguardian works like a charm on this phone compared to my Moto G7 Power which for some reason not all of GG was working.

Now it's just a matter of getting TWRP on this phone and I am dredding it. Will take my time researching and enjoying my phone for a bit before jumping in and potentially F*ck it up. lol

Last edited:

Ogriv

Jul 15, 2014
Hi again everyone,

I have a Galaxy Note 10+ 5G that I rooted successfully but not able to get back into root since flashing TWRP.

I grabbed the proper TWRP file (dx2) from the TWRP page/GitHub.

https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxynote10plus5G.html

https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_samsung_d2x

Magisck wasn't able to patch the zip file so I extracted it and found there was only a recovery.img, so I patched with magisck and flashed with Odin. I was able to boot into TWRP and regular boot but not able to boot with magisck root despite using the correct button combination.

Please help me get sorted so I can again say IN YOUR FACE SAMSUNG! 😅

In the meantime I will continue trying, thanks in advance everyone!

Last edited:

zouhaier1

Jun 30, 2010
sousse
I follow the steps to root my galaxy note 10+ ,I checked the root with rootchecker but I get the message: root isn' t installed properly.Any advise for this ,thnx
Problem resolved,thnx to AMN35

Last edited:
Reactions: AMN35

ben.james046

Dec 24, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Well, have to say that rooting a Note 10+ 5g (SM-N976B, Android V12 build N976BXXS8HWA3) with Magisk is the most painful rooting experience I've had so far! I bought one off eBay as fancied a phone with a SDCARD slot ….

After following the guides, and immediately after powering off from flashing Magisk via Odin, and then vol up + pwr, I found the phone always came up with a grey Android logo and then "erased", then booted with no Magisk present, and didn't go into stock recovery as intended.

Here's my updated install notes, which may be helpful:

So after flashing Magisk from the original post's instructions:

1. Remove USB cable, let it reboot normally with no key presses
  2. Setup phone, connect to Wifi etc, Install Magisk App, power off phone
  3. Then with USB cable connected, keep Vol up + pwr pressed to get into Stock recovery
  4. In Stock Recovery, Factory reset and power off, disconnect USB Cable
  5. Then with USB cable re-connected hold Vol up + Pwr to boot and let go of both a second or two after the Samsung splash screen appears after the bootloader warning
  6. Load Magisk App up and it should now show installed and should say additional setup is required and to reboot. (Reboot from within Magisk or method in Step 5)

The first time I rooted with Magisk, it rebooted every time with Magisk loaded but the second time I rooted, it always required the USB cable plugged in at step 5…… Anyway Just make sure to select reboot to recovery from within the Magisk App, and you won't require the USB cable etc, which is a real pain.

I also tried patching latest TWRP with Magisk but Magisk would not load and just stalled at the splash screen, but TWRP loaded ok…. I'd rather have Magisk than TWRP so gave up on TWRP….

I think this may be my last ever Samsung phone!
Thanks a lot. OP is outdated. I have root access now after following your steps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to Root Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ & Flash TWRP (Exynos Only)

NOTICE :

Before you move further, make clear that rooting device -
    - Your warranty will be void
    - Some of functions may not work on rooted device, some function may get back with un rooting, some may never.
    - All your data on device will be lost
    - Flashing custom binaries may brick (Usually soft but can be hard brick too) your device, so follow it on your own risk!

If you are ready with condition, move further -

Important : Since android Q, there is changes in rooting process, specially if you needs root with TWRP, So here I am dividing this guide in two parts.

1.Root with self preparing files (No TWRP) - Here you needs to patch stock files yourself. No TWRP installed.
    2.Root with TWRP - You needs to just flash pre-patched files, Here you needs to have ROM installed same base as per files available. Though mostly latest verson will be available.

PART 1 : (Root Pie/Q base with magisk with patching files yourself, No TWRP)

Before moving to root device, must read every single instruction given below as any small mistake can lead to fail to achieve root or may brick the device.

A.Preparing Root files

You need to patch file to flash using Odin to root device.
    1. Download stock firmware for your device (google search will give you many sites to download it) some common are e.g. Sammobile, Samfirmware tool)
    you need to download file according your region and model (Dial *#1234# will give you details of existing firmware, download accordingly)

2. Once you finish download, extract files and keep all files on PC. From extracted files a file with name AP_[device_model_sw_ver].tar.md5 copy to your device.

3.Download Latest Magisk Manager and Install to your device

4.Open Magisk Manager - Magisk (first one) - Install - select to "Select and Patch file" - Navigate file you have copied to device (AP_[device_model_sw_ver].tar.md5)

5.Magisk Manager will patch the whole firmware file and store the output to [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched.tar

6.Copy patched file magisk_patched.tar to Your PC

7.Download latest Odin (one is attached to end of this post) and extract to a folder on PC (I recommend on desktop)

Now next step is to modification on device

B. Unlocking Bootloader

This is a basic step to root device. Go to settings - about phone - Software Information - tap multiple times on "Build number" - This will open developer option.
    Now in settings at the end, you will have new option "Developer options" - look for OEM unlocking - Enable it.

(PS : If you don't see this option then you may need to wait up to 7 days or more to appear or may be on some operator you will get it never. Without this option you can not root your device, sorry!)

Once you have enable OEM unlock option, switch off your device and reboot to download mode.
    To put device in download mode - Press Volume Up & then Press Volume Down (Keep holding both) and connect device to PC with USB cable
    When device start to download mode,long press volume up to unlock the bootloader. This will wipe your data and automatically reboot

Now let finish setup and again enable developer options (as said above), and confirm that the OEM unlocking option exists and grayed out!
    If it is not then you can not root device!

Once you see this option and greyed out, you are ready to flash custom binary and root your device

C.Installation (Flashing) custom binaries

1. Switch off the device and reboot to download mode (As said earlier) and select volume up to continue

2. Open Odin (downloaded from above instruction) as administrator
    Select magisk_patched.tar file you have patched (as above instruction copied to PC) for AP tab of Odin
    Select BL,CP and CSC file (Extract from stock firmware you have downloaded) with according respective tab of Odin (This is important, DON'T flash only magisk_patched.tar )

3.From Odin option - uncheck Auto Reboot option

4.Now start flashing and wait till it finish. When you see a PASS sign on Odin, disconnect device.

Now magisk is successfully finished but yet you need to follow instructions below.

D. Factory reset & Boot with magisk

After disconnecting device, keep holding Vol down + Side key to exit from download mode.
    Here is very important - when you see device reboot As soon as the screen turns off, immediately press Volume Up + Side Key to boot to recovery partition. continue pressing the volume up button until you see the stock recovery screen.

In the stock recovery menu, use volume buttons to navigate through menus, and the power button to select the option. Select Wipe data/factory reset to wipe the data of the device.
    Select Reboot system now, and immediately press Volume Up + Side Key. After seeing the bootloader warning screen, release all buttons so it can boot to the system.

The device will automatically reboot for the first time it boots. This is completely normal and done by design.After the device is booted up, do the usual initial setup. You shall see Magisk Manager in your app drawer; if not, manually install the APK you downloaded and continue to the next step. The app would be a stub and it shall automatically upgrade to the full Magisk Manager when you open it.

Magisk Manager will ask to do additional setups. Let it do its job and the app will automatically reboot your device.

Voila! Enjoy Magisk :)

PART 2 : (Root Q base with TWRP)

This requires to have your device on same base as per base of pre-patch files. I am giving link below of my ROM

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/d4ugie4yadxu6/N975F - Click link - First select your device (N970/N975/N976) - download file Instructions_Root_TWRP_BootloopFix.pdf

This file have complete details about how to root with stock recovery/TWRP. Also all required patched files will be available in "Q" folder of your device section,
    Also "Q" folder have file BASE_N97*.txt - Name of this file indicates Model and base used for patched files, you should have same base installed.

Important :

Due to the fact that some devices no longer uses ramdisk in boot images, Magisk has no choice but to be installed in the recovery partition. For these devices, you will have to boot to recovery every time if you want Magisk. Since both Magisk and recovery lives in the same partition, what you actually end up getting when you choose to boot to recovery will be determined by how long you press volume up.

• (Powering up normally) → (System with NO Magisk)
    • (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Release all buttons) → (System with Magisk)
    • (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Keep pressing volume up) → (Actual recovery)

For more details read Installation guide by @topjohnwu from Here

All credit and thanks go to
    @topjohnwu for magisk & Guide.
    geiti94 for TWRP Here OP & Source
    ianmacd for latest TWRP - Here OP & Source

Happy rooting!

Xposed

Just tried and eDxposed working fine.
    - Install EdXposed installer
    - from magisk download install Ritu-core module
    - from magisk download install Ritu - EDxposed (yahfa)

Done.

We strongly recommend to make EFS backup as soon as you root device and store it to safer place
    Don't you lose some Samsung function when you root and even relock the bootloader?
    Who cares?
    Development can't go without this.
    We developer need to risk it. No way.

Here is Root files available to Root N975F Android 10 Beta1

I have updated OP with possibilities of
    - Root Pie/Q with self patching
    - Root Q with or without TWRP with pre-patched files.

Hope this help users.