FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Anyone hesitant due to Pixel 4 XL?

3,355 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,079

By PsiPhiDan, Senior Member on 25th August 2019, 07:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is the one phone that made me hesitant to get the Note10+. The Project Soli radar stuff and the likely incredible camera plus 90Hz display make that phone seem like it may be special.

But alas, I use my s-pen nonstop and adore it. So this will be the phone for me (eventually, when stupid Samsung ships it).
The Following User Says Thank You to PsiPhiDan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PsiPhiDan Ad-Free

25th August 2019, 07:30 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Got burnt by a canceled order with no real explanation from Samsung. Cannot order again or I will simply lose all the pre-order perks I was entitled to. May wait now for the pixel 4.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnDoe01 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JohnDoe01 Ad-Free
25th August 2019, 07:34 PM |#3  
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 68

More
I bought the 3XL on release and there were many bugs in the beginning. Google really made me disappointed at first.
I suspect the face unlock feature won't be great and if the rumors are true there will be no wide angle and the design of the device looks kind of dated. 90Hz is great though but so is the s-pen.

If it turns out to be good I'll get one and switch between it and the 10+.
The Following User Says Thank You to nds850 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nds850 Ad-Free
25th August 2019, 07:57 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2,822

More
Nah. I'm here because I already made my purchase. I loved my OG Pixel XL, still can spot the photos in my Google drive by how awesome they were but at the same time there were too many quality issues and I hated dealing with their tech support.

And it was a boring experience for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to pcriz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pcriz Ad-Free
25th August 2019, 08:08 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
You are a beta tester for Google and you pay the price to be. (Always been a Nexus/Pixel user) Everything you bought the Nexus for they took away with Pixel and slapped a bigger price tag on it. Only thing you get thats "better" than other Androids is the Camera but the GCam APK does a pretty good job at making up for it. You will have better hardware and honestly One UI isnt all that bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gilley For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gilley Ad-Free
25th August 2019, 08:59 PM |#6  
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 141

More
I ported the same GCam apk I ran on my N8 on my N10+ and the results are even better... Can't believe it works beautifully. I mainly use it for NightMode and Photo booth. I'm sure once they tweak the GCAm apk for the 10+ the margin of improvement will be even more pronounced. My 2..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to moralesd66 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift moralesd66 Ad-Free
25th August 2019, 09:05 PM |#7  
Flag Springfield
Thanks Meter: 1,513

Donate to Me
More
Not a single hesitation or complaint from me. Love my N10+. When I had my Note 8, I bought a Pixel 2XL and loved it. For about 2 weeks. Then it was just boring, and I missed the SPen, and kept wishing it did the things my Note did. Finally sold it for a Note 9 and never looked back. With GCam, I have no need for a Pixel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Orange 645 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mr. Orange 645 Ad-Free
25th August 2019, 10:01 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 78

More
the google phones work ok, but they often miss features of the other third party manufacturers as they are just basic stripped down android.

as for the 90hz screen, for the average user unless you are using VR the difference will likely be negligible at best, you will need to find apps and things capable of pushing 90fps and not locked at 60fps as most apps will be built to support, you are also likely to see a massive increase in battery use as the device is having to generate and place 50% more frames on the screen and the Pixel device batteries have never exactly been top class to start with. so in theory if you are using VR and staying near a charger the 90hz is likely to be an increase if your VR apps support it, but for the most case you are likely to see a battery use increase for little real world improvement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Belimawr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Belimawr Ad-Free
25th August 2019, 10:06 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 837

More
Nope I will have both, as long as pixel gets me excited!
The Following User Says Thank You to oneandroidnut For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift oneandroidnut Ad-Free
25th August 2019, 10:09 PM |#10  
Flag Navi Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 567

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiPhiDan

This is the one phone that made me hesitant to get the Note10+. The Project Soli radar stuff and the likely incredible camera plus 90Hz display make that phone seem like it may be special.

Exaclty for the same reasons, Yes.
I grabbed the Sammy everytime on prebooking, not this time. I might still have it for separate reasons, just will not be with me as daily driver for long.
The Following User Says Thank You to Virgo_Guy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Virgo_Guy Ad-Free
26th August 2019, 12:04 AM |#11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandroidnut

Nope I will have both, as long as pixel gets me excited!

I've never understood how people have two phones. How's that even work?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)