FORUMS

Note 10+ 5G - Connecting to 5G looses GPS signal. Known issue by Samsung.

1,030 posts
Thanks Meter: 511

By dave7802, Senior Member on 1st October 2019, 01:50 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Thought i would post this here.

Here in the UK not all areas have 5G. But if your using your phone as a Sat Nav and pass through an area that has 5G. you may notice you lose GPS signal.
It takes a considerable amount of time to reconnect.

Spoke to Samsung and they are aware of the issue (Although they kept me going through multiple testing processes before admitting and telling me this)

http://samsung.lucidcx.com//cx-dres/...0Ver%206.0.pdf

Page 42.

Chat Screenshot attached!

No idea what update will include this fix. It does mean though i will have to lock the device to LTE signal to avoid loss in signal when traveling and using my device as a Satnav!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung.PNG
Views:	320
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	4832695  
The Following User Says Thank You to dave7802 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dave7802 Ad-Free
1st October 2019, 02:56 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 276

More
Interesting read, that pdf
1st October 2019, 07:41 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 104

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul6

Interesting read, that pdf

Yup thank you for sharing.
It is funny that they say "Note10+ 5G" signal is weak when using 5G.
Actually many reported the same with the other 4G devices...
21st December 2019, 04:52 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
This problem still exists with the T-Mo Note 10 5G that was just released. There was a day one update, but it didn't resolve anything.
22nd December 2019, 12:19 AM |#5  

More
T-Mo just pushed an update today that solved my GPS issues. Version N976USQU1ASL7. This should have been available on Day 1.
24th December 2019, 03:28 PM |#6  

More
Never mind, the T-Mobile update didn't fix this. GPS still is nonfunctional in 5G mode. TMobile support is saying it's because the AGPS in the phone doesn't have enough data to triangulate position because there's not enough 5G enabled towers in my area yet and to wait until 2020 when more towers come online.
25th December 2019, 02:33 AM |#7  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 166

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtom1

Never mind, the T-Mobile update didn't fix this. GPS still is nonfunctional in 5G mode. TMobile support is saying it's because the AGPS in the phone doesn't have enough data to triangulate position because there's not enough 5G enabled towers in my area yet and to wait until 2020 when more towers come online.

I quite literally almost pulled the trigger on it now I'm second guessing (again)

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk
25th December 2019, 05:59 PM |#8  

More
I'd wait until the Sprint merger and/or more towers are upgraded to 5G before pulling the trigger on this device. The GPS being borked affects too many other things on the phone.
25th December 2019, 07:23 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I have the T-Mobile Note 10 + 5G and I am having no 5G GPS issues. I live in a 5G area and I use it regularly. Please note, I DID have GPS issues. I cleared the DATA for Google Maps in the apps section (not just the cache) and reset the maps app from scratch. That was right after the last update. My issue went away and never returned. I hope this will help you.

By the way, 2 points. First, most T-Mobile personnel are clueless about 5G. I have been speaking to them for weeks. Even Samsung support is iffy. But you could try them if this doesn't resolve your issues.

Second, the Verizon 5G phone and the T-Mobile 5G phone are completely different beasts. People want to compare them but the Verizon is gen 1 and the T-Mobile is gen 2 on 5G chips and they handle the switch between 4G and 5G completely differently. 5G on the Verizon is tacked on to a 4G chipset with the x50 modem while the T-Mobile has the x55 modem which integrates both. Any comparison is coincidence at best. As I said, my 5G phone GPS issues are completely resolved. I hope a reset of the Maps app will resolve yours. Actually, since the last update, ALL my issues seem to be resolved. I am one happy camper and there was a point in time when I was discussing an exchange. But no more.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)