FORUMS

For those who are having signal issues, Samsung is deliberately crippling the devices

504 posts
Thanks Meter: 107

By -BoneZ-, Senior Member on 24th April 2020, 03:00 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
TLDR:
--------
Samsung is crippling the radios and audio in the name of "safety" and "protecting the end user". Sending mine back to Samsung.

I've seen many posts on here about signal issues, both WiFi and Cell. This post will delve into some specifics. And sorry in advance that this is a long read.

Background
-----------------
Firstly, some background: I bought my first Samsung and first Note, the Note 2 and thoroughly loved the device. I've had every Note except the Note 1, Note 4 (used the Google Nexus 6 which I still have) and the Note 9 (used a OnePlus 7 Pro, which I still have). I absolutely love the Note series with the large beautiful screen, excellent cameras and of course the Pen.

So after using my Note 8 for a year and a half, I decided to try something different than Samsung because I was tired of the poor cell signal and WiFi signal. I decided to get a OnePlus 7 Pro since that company and phone has been so hyped. Well, the hype is definitely real. The phone is super-fast with little to no lag.

What I don't like or care for the most about the 7 Pro is the ugly rounded corners (besides the mediocre camera). I've always loved the square(er) corners of the Note. And when I saw the Note 10+ in a store recently and touched it, I had to have one. I got it in 3 days and wow what a sight to behold! The screen is just absolutely heavenly.

Cell Signal
----------------
I noticed immediately while driving around with the Note 10+, my music was constantly buffering. I thought it had to do with some kind of battery optimization for the app as to why music would stop playing and keep buffering. But I had already taken care of that in the settings.

Then when I took my Note to work is when it was really noticeable. I work on the second floor offices at my job. My OnePlus has excellent cell signal. Almost always 2-3 bars (and when I'm outside, 4 full bars as the tower is nearby apparently) and easily able to stream music without issue. My Note? Nothing! For at least half the day every day, I had zero signal sitting at my desk in the same spot as I do with my OnePlus 7 Pro. The Note would just say (Emergency Calls Only - No Signal). That was infuriating. Especially with a tower nearby, and my other phone has no signal issues.

WiFI Signal
-----------------
The second place I notice signal issues is with WiFi. I keep my WiFi strength turned down to keep the RF exposure low, and to keep from broadcasting my WiFi across the whole neighborhood. With my OnePlus 7 Pro, I get 2-3 bars of WiFi in my garage and the WiFi takes about 10-seconds to connect. With the Note 10+, it literally takes minutes to connect to my WiFi in the garage, barely getting 1-bar, once in a while jumping up to 2 bars then back to 1. And I realize that "number of bars don't matter", but they actually do. It's just a cop-out, and proven that they do have some significance.

Comparison
-----------------
Now I want to make something clear for those who don't know. Both the OnePlus 7 Pro and the Note 10+ use the same exact Snapdragon 855 SoC. As you'll see in the image HERE, the Snapdragon SoC has (among other things) the Cell radio and the BT/WiFi radios all built into the chip. And if one would look at the spec sheets for the 855 and earlier Qualcomm chips, you'd see that the radios get more powerful year after year.

I was blown away going from the garbage radios on the Note 8 to the amazing radios on the OnePlus 7 Pro. Absolutely never any cell or WiFi issues, ever. I figured that since the radios on the Qualcomm chips get more powerful every year, that the Note 10+ would be a giant step up from the radios on the Note 8. Boy was I wrong.

Samsung Crippling the Radios
--------------------------------------------
That brings me to Samsung deliberately crippling these devices. The FCC has specific regulations regarding exposure to RF radiation from phones. So Samsung is turning down the power of the Cell and WiFi radios so much to keep well below the guidelines and the RF radiation lower. But this is also crippling the device. It's keeping the device from doing it's number one job: being a phone!

Samsung Crippling the Audio
------------------------------------------
Samsung has also chosen to cripple listening to music also. Just even touching the EQ one tick above the -0- line and the volume is literally cut in half. Good luck trying to listen to headphones with any kind of volume. If you go just one tick below the -0- line, then the volume gets cut about a quarter. So half of the half. Samsung does this to "protect your hearing" so that you don't listen to music too loudly.

My OnePlus 7 is not like that with the same EQ and same Dolby Atmos. The volume barely wavers at all while adjusting the EQ, and the sound is loud and it actually sounds significantly better than my Note 10.

Conclusion
----------------
I have two devices with virtually identical hardware. One works as it should with excellent Cell and WiFi signal and great EQ sound, while the other is being crippled to protect the user from too much RF radiation or too loud of sound.

Samsung has become like Apple: restricting or constricting how you use your devices. Now if you live in a large city where you are surrounded by cell towers and WiFi everywhere, then you'll likely not notice much of the cell signal or WiFi issue. Those of us who live in smaller cities or towns where the coverage is more sparse, we need that extra radio power that Qualcomm already provides so that our devices do what they are first and foremost intended to do: be a working phone.

I am very upset and disappointed to see Samsung has crippled these devices all in the name of "protecting the end user". So as much as I would love to have that gorgeous screen with me all the time, I'm going to have to settle for my 7 Pro: a device that actually works and isn't being crippled. That also teaches me to never buy a Samsung device again for the foreseeable future, if ever again.

I'd love to see a class-action lawsuit against Samsung for crippling their devices. These things are the most expensive Android devices on the planet. They should not have anything crippled on them for that price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -BoneZ- For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift -BoneZ- Ad-Free
24th April 2020, 03:27 AM |#2  
Flag COATZACOALCOS
Thanks Meter: 634

Donate to Me
More
Well, that may be your experience, I travel a lot by car and, only in some really isolated areas is where I loose signal, you see, It is very different for everyone, I use cellphones since 1990, and I have seen a lot
24th April 2020, 04:05 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 140

More
I've had several brands of phones over the years.. recently every Samsung device I have bought (galaxy s8+, s9+, note 10+) only had signal issues due to insufficient carrier coverage.

None of the phones had issues of signal crippling. I have had Motorola, Nokia, iPhone, Samsung devices and outside of a phone having manufacturer defect (or bad antenna placement) they all worked the same signal and performance wise. Only the carrier i was using and how well they covered my area was what impacted signal quality.
The Following User Says Thank You to scottusa2008 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scottusa2008 Ad-Free
24th April 2020, 05:47 AM |#4  
Flag COATZACOALCOS

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottusa2008

I've had several brands of phones over the years.. recently every Samsung device I have bought (galaxy s8+, s9+, note 10+) only had signal issues due to insufficient carrier coverage.

None of the phones had issues of signal crippling. I have had Motorola, Nokia, iPhone, Samsung devices and outside of a phone having manufacturer defect (or bad antenna placement) they all worked the same signal and performance wise. Only the carrier i was using and how well they covered my area was what impacted signal quality.

Exactly, carrier coverage/quality is what almost always determine how well you can use a device, just in some few cases, hadware or software, underperform or are sub-par
The Following User Says Thank You to winol For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift winol Ad-Free
24th April 2020, 06:04 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
I completely agree with this, that's why root was so important to fix things.

Samsung and apple are basically the same in controlling their hardware and software, one just gets more flak for it and I don't see Samsung changing because people don't have other devices, they buy only Samsung like people only buy apple.

They have their set market and try to do the best they can so they don't get sued.

My one plus is way better at everything than my n10+5g except for camera, but I hate how ugly oneplus phones are so it's sticks to 3rd line backup duties behind my Xperia .
24th April 2020, 08:26 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 123

More
About cell signal : I agree that they have to comply to safety regulations, but since it's 2 W/kg here, why the device only make 0.187 if they are authorized to do more for a better signal ?

Or maybe i don't understand how it isv actually working?
25th April 2020, 02:17 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastrahl

About cell signal : I agree that they have to comply to safety regulations, but since it's 2 W/kg here, why the device only make 0.187 if they are authorized to do more for a better signal ?

Or maybe i don't understand how it isv actually working?

Do you suppose that wireless radios use perpetual motion engines to output as much power as you want for free? Or, perhaps does the battery have to provide that power? The likely answer for why they limit the output power so much is that high output kills your battery. Then people would be complaining about poor on-time for the phone. So, they have a delicate line to walk here. You want enough power that the phone works but you want low enough power that it doesn't eat the battery in 3 hours. Also, recently quite a few drooling idiots have gotten up in arms about how wireless radiation causes all manner of ailments. So, I'll bet they'd not like to be known as the manufacturer who gives people brain cancer, ruined cakes, rain on your birthday, sterility, the walking farts, and foul smelling discharges.
The Following User Says Thank You to Collin80 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Collin80 Ad-Free
25th April 2020, 04:33 AM |#8  
Flag COATZACOALCOS

Donate to Me
More
The fact is: the phones use whatever power needs to connect within certain regulated limits, that's it, the carriers are the ones that have the more difficult task in providing the signal as best as possible, which is indeed somewhat complicated for some geographical situations
25th April 2020, 04:31 PM |#9  
Flag Saint-Laurent, Quebec
Thanks Meter: 87

More
Hardware and none optimized firmware in general have an impact on the quality of the phone signal, (modem, antenna and others) and off coarse some apps running in the background of the phone. Nevertheless, it's minimal in comparison to the impact caused by the carriers network regulations, network bands assignment, cell towers distance and users traffic. the unsubstantiated claim that Samsung is deliberately crippling our phones signal strange, is nonsense! (It didn't stop Apple from slowing down some old iPhones, not theirs signal)
The Following User Says Thank You to itzik_man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift itzik_man Ad-Free
25th April 2020, 06:00 PM |#10  
Flag COATZACOALCOS

Donate to Me
More
Exactly itzik
25th April 2020, 07:54 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
You guys are trying to rationalize and keep buying Samsungs constraints.

Like I said. My Xperia and OnePlus has better signal and is louder, especially speaker and Bluetooth music than my n10+, my note 9 is rooted so viper4android helps but its signal and call quality has always been the worst.

I carry 3 phones with me, needless to say the ones I need for talk with clarity are not my note10+

It's a shame really that other manufacturers have the exact same signal and loudness constraints Samsung does but can achieve more refinement all the while being smaller than Samsung at that
The Following User Says Thank You to coilbio For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift coilbio Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)