FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Standby drain

812 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,696

By XDA_RealLifeReview, RealLifeReview Dude on 27th August 2019, 02:15 PM | Average Rating:
View First Unread Post Reply Email Thread
When you sleep, does your phone sleep, or does it stay up all night and crunch 1s and 0s? Rate this thread to express how you deem the speed at which the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+'s battery drains under standby conditions. A higher rating indicates that when the phone is not in use, the battery drains minimally.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

30th August 2019, 10:26 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
4g drain is much better than it was on the s10, but overnight its still a mixed bag. One night it was 3% overnight, another it was 12%.
31st August 2019, 10:45 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
One night forgot to charge the phone. It drained less than 5% overnight.
2nd September 2019, 05:19 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 269

Donate to Me
More
I lose a couple percent per night tops
The Following User Says Thank You to gottahavit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gottahavit Ad-Free
2nd September 2019, 06:08 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 263

More
IMO it would be helpful if posters stated SD/Exynos and stock/debloated/custom . My stock SD runs about 0.5 to 1%/hour and I would be very envious if that couple percent per night was stock also. Once I debloat it and get rid of most of the crap I don't use 2 percent per night would be something I would actually expect.
2nd September 2019, 07:02 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
If wifi signal is strong, less battery drain. If on LTE and the signal is strong, less drain. BUT if wifi or 4gLTE is weak, expect greater battery drain. Also i turn off GPS for lesser drain.
The Following User Says Thank You to jhun80 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jhun80 Ad-Free
2nd September 2019, 08:27 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 158

Donate to Me
More
Note 10+
Qualcmm
Power save mode
Stock/disabled unused, unneeded apps and services that I don't use or need.
I lose about 3 percent over night, from 8pm to about 4am. Wish adhell was still available I could've saved an additional 1 to 1.5 percent. That's like an additional 10+ minutes of screen on time wasted.
2nd September 2019, 09:33 PM |#8  
  • Note 10+ Exynos
  • Full monty (wifi, 4G, gps, bluetooth, nfc, sync etc .. ALL on!)
  • No power saving settings, no bixby routines to save battery, Full WQHD+
  • Stock
  • disabled apps: Facebook, Write on PDF and Chrome

So basically everything that could be set to ON, I did turn ON. I like to have a smartphone, not a dumbphone.

loses 5% in 6 hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to jabberwock For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jabberwock Ad-Free
4th September 2019, 11:46 AM |#9  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock

• Note 10+ Exynos
  • Full monty (wifi, 4G, gps, bluetooth, nfc, sync etc .. ALL on!)
  • No power saving settings, no bixby routines to save battery, Full WQHD+
  • Stock
  • disabled apps: Facebook, Write on PDF and Chrome

So basically everything that could be set to ON, I did turn ON. I like to have a smartphone, not a dumbphone.

loses 5% in 6 hours.

Heh heh heh.....that's like having all the lights, TVs and appliances on in the house while you're asleep in the bedroom. But alas it's your phone, do what you will.
I on the other hand did a few more tweaks and now losing about 2% loss from 9 to 4:30 that's about 1% per 3.5 hours compared to your 1.2 per 1%.
It's an asinine notion to think that having all things on at all times somehow makes your phone any smarter than any other. I mean your phone isn't smarter than any dumb phone if it's not being used. The phone might be smart but the user.....well that's still up for debate.

So just a few questions
Why have services on that you're not using or never will use?
Why waste battery power and charge cycles?
Why do you feel that having all those services on when not being used is better than turning them on only when they're needed?
The Following User Says Thank You to lennie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lennie Ad-Free
4th September 2019, 12:36 PM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennie

Heh heh heh.....that's like having all the lights, TVs and appliances on in the house while you're asleep in the bedroom. But alas it's your phone, do what you will.
I on the other hand did a few more tweaks and now losing about 2% loss from 9 to 4:30 that's about 1% per 3.5 hours compared to your 1.2 per 1%.
It's an asinine notion to think that having all things on at all times somehow makes your phone any smarter than any other. I mean your phone isn't smarter than any dumb phone if it's not being used. The phone might be smart but the user.....well that's still up for debate.

So just a few questions
Why have services on that you're not using or never will use?
Why waste battery power and charge cycles?
Why do you feel that having all those services on when not being used is better than turning them on only when they're needed?

I didn't say I do not use services. I use those services and features for automation purposes a lot!.
Let me state it otherwise, I (want to) use the full potential of my device all the time. We are talking about 0.2% battery difference per hour. That is 4.8% battery difference over the course of 24 hours. Since I charge my device at least once somewhere in those 24 hours I do not concider that as an issue. It is such a minor difference I personally don't want to bother myself with the hassle of turning off some features, and keep myself reminding to turn them on again the next morning.

And no.. I do not leave my TV on when not in use. But I also do not leave the screen of my phone on while I sleep. But I do use all the possible features of my TV when using it. See the difference?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jabberwock For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jabberwock Ad-Free
6th September 2019, 10:06 PM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock

I didn't say I do not use services. I use those services and features for automation purposes a lot!.
Let me state it otherwise, I (want to) use the full potential of my device all the time. We are talking about 0.2% battery difference per hour. That is 4.8% battery difference over the course of 24 hours. Since I charge my device at least once somewhere in those 24 hours I do not concider that as an issue. It is such a minor difference I personally don't want to bother myself with the hassle of turning off some features, and keep myself reminding to turn them on again the next morning.

And no.. I do not leave my TV on when not in use. But I also do not leave the screen of my phone on while I sleep. But I do use all the possible features of my TV when using it. See the difference?

Hmm, I hear what you're trying to say but your math is wrong. I mean think about it, you lose 5% in 6 hours of idle time, then in a 24 hour period your phone lose 20% of its battery doing nothing.
OK let's put it another way, you lose .83% each hour when you're not using your phone so over a 24 hour period you're only able to use 80% of your battery because 20% is wasted doing nothing.
Over a 5 day period you lose 1 charge cycle count on your battery doing absolutely nothing.

I see that as an extraordinary waste. I on the other hand lose 2% in 7 hours of idle time, that's .26% each hour and about 6% over a 24 hour period. 16 days to lose charge cycle count based on idle time.

.83 vs .26
20 vs 6
5 vs 16
Those are huge differences, so not sure where you got the:

"We are talking about 0.2% battery difference per hour. That is 4.8% battery difference over the course of 24 hours"

But as I've said it's your phone use it how you will. There's no wrong way in using your phone, use it in whatever way meets your needs.
I on the other hand feels that efficiency and battery life are paramount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190906-053921_Settings.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	4816143  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)