FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

i designed an app to disable the edge display

508 posts
Thanks Meter: 186

Post Reply Email Thread
this is something noone else has thought of either because it's a very stupid idea or because noone wanted it or thought about it, but i thought i could try any way, this app disables the edge display on the galaxy note 10, it disables it both visually and physically, touch will be completely disabled, i plan on having button shortcuts added too so you can launch the camera for example like a shutter button, this is a very niche idea that i doubt will be of interest to anyone, i am considering releasing it just as an experiment though, i made this thread to see what interest it gets in order to know if i should release it or not, my way of thinking when it comes to apps is just different, i don't like curves i don't like edge displays hence why i tried to get rid of it both for design and for the picture being distorted by the curve, theres ofcourse bugs associated with this, as the screen is meant to reach to the edge text or buttons can be difficult or impossible to press, so yeah a very niche idea but honestly it's growing on me to the point of the phone looking strange when i disable the app, it completely changes the look of the phone makes it almost unrecognizable like a note 9 with a flat display
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zzcool For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zzcool Ad-Free
6th September 2019, 08:43 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Gothenburg

Donate to Me
More
Wasn't able to add a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4316.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	4816125  
6th September 2019, 08:46 PM |#3  
Flag COATZACOALCOS
Thanks Meter: 495

Donate to Me
More
It sounds interesting, I will try it if you release it
6th September 2019, 08:52 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Gothenburg

Donate to Me
More
It really is growing on me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4323.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	4816131  
6th September 2019, 08:54 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Gothenburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by winol

It sounds interesting, I will try it if you release it

thank you i may actually do that at first i thought it was a stupid idea everyone would hate but it's growing on me see the last picture i posted it's not ugly.
6th September 2019, 10:03 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Good luck for you. But just curious why you bought this phone if you don't like curve screen.
Your idea is basically making a think bezel at the side.
Regarding accidently touching, Samsung already made an app called Edge Touch, which can customize area that immune to touch.
The Following User Says Thank You to torickray For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift torickray Ad-Free
6th September 2019, 10:34 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Gothenburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by torickray

Good luck for you. But just curious why you bought this phone if you don't like curve screen.
Your idea is basically making a think bezel at the side.
Regarding accidently touching, Samsung already made an app called Edge Touch, which can customize area that immune to touch.

well theres no new phone without an edge display, theres two things i hate with new phones, edge displays and curved display corners, i just want a square flat display but thats pretty much if not impossible, i bought the note 10+ because it looks similar to a sony xperia with thin bezels, i only bought the note 10+ because it has a boxy design something that appeals to me, otherwise i would never buy it if it looked like a galaxy s10 i wouldn't even look in it's direction, i just tolerated the edge display but i never wanted it it ruins the phone the curved display corners ruins it too these are things that makes me want to send it back and buy a sony again but sony has curved displaycorners too which i hate so much i ended up sending the xperia 1 back as i could not stand those corners, the bezels on a xperia 1 or 5 are also uneven thicker at the top than the bottom which i can't stand i am also not a big fan of the 21:9 aspectratio which leaves practically no phone left, all phones look exactly the same the one plus 7 looks like a galaxy, the rog phone looks like a galaxy with thin bezels and ridiculous back, what i wouldn't pay for a sony xperia xz1 same metal build and design with an oled panel and bezels as thin as the note 10+ i would pay 1500 or more for that for that as i find myself wanting to go back to my xz1, the note 10+ is not good enough for that cost but it's very very close, the design makes me incredibly biased towards it, i also don't like how warm the display is even at the colest possible setting every time i look at the xz1 i just prefer the display more, i know about that app i use it myself, this app was meant to also remove the edge display visually.
6th September 2019, 11:04 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzcool

well theres no new phone without an edge display, theres two things i hate with new phones, edge displays and curved display corners, i just want a square flat display but thats pretty much if not impossible, i bought the note 10+ because it looks similar to a sony xperia with thin bezels, i only bought the note 10+ because it has a boxy design something that appeals to me, otherwise i would never buy it if it looked like a galaxy s10 i wouldn't even look in it's direction, i just tolerated the edge display but i never wanted it it ruins the phone the curved display corners ruins it too these are things that makes me want to send it back and buy a sony again but sony has curved displaycorners too which i hate so much i ended up sending the xperia 1 back as i could not stand those corners, the bezels on a xperia 1 or 5 are also uneven thicker at the top than the bottom which i can't stand i am also not a big fan of the 21:9 aspectratio which leaves practically no phone left, all phones look exactly the same the one plus 7 looks like a galaxy, the rog phone looks like a galaxy with thin bezels and ridiculous back, what i wouldn't pay for a sony xperia xz1 same metal build and design with an oled panel and bezels as thin as the note 10+ i would pay 1500 or more for that for that as i find myself wanting to go back to my xz1, the note 10+ is not good enough for that cost but it's very very close, the design makes me incredibly biased towards it, i also don't like how warm the display is even at the colest possible setting every time i look at the xz1 i just prefer the display more, i know about that app i use it myself, this app was meant to also remove the edge display visually.

How about upcoming pixel 4?
6th September 2019, 11:05 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1,690

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzcool

There is the S10e which is relatively new , then there it the Oneplus 7, Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro, and many others with flat Displays, your just meaning there isn't a Note that has a flat Display
6th September 2019, 11:05 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Gothenburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by torickray

How about upcoming pixel 4?

not to be harsh but the pixel phones are the most bad looking phones of all time, only reason i would get a pixel phone is for it's camera
The Following User Says Thank You to zzcool For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zzcool Ad-Free
6th September 2019, 11:13 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Gothenburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan1982

There is the S10e which is relatively new , then there it the Oneplus 7, Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro, and many others with flat Displays, your just meaning there isn't a Note that has a flat Display

s10e is way too round so i can't get that one
mi6t too round
oneplus 7 too round and a notch

what i require from a anew phone

1.boxy design like the note 10+ (anything rounder than the note 10+ and i won't even consider it i got the huawei mate 10 pro and it's nice but too round but i still got it as i knew flat square displays were a dying breed)
2.square flat display with no rounded screen corners

these are two things that simply do not exist in a new phone apart from the razer phone but that one has giant bezels and no oled, for some reason they are that rare the xperia 1 and 5 is as close as i can get, xperia 1 and 5 and note 10+ are the only phones for my taste theres nothing else i've looked everywhere it just doesn't exist it seems people are obsessed with round phones why i don't know, it's like i am an alien when it comes to smartphone design taste, i just don't understand why people want a curved display and when they say anything bad about it it's that it's pretty but not practical, i neither want it for the look or for it's feel.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)