FORUMS

Mainline N8000 Progress

99 posts
Thanks Meter: 317

By Don Carnage, Member on 6th September 2019, 12:15 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Current progress of hardware support for the kernel
(tested with 5.2, will go to 5.4 once buildroot is updated):
  • Basics (CPU, Memory, clocks and other Exynos4412 related drivers) -> already done by Samsung
  • Serial Console: working
  • MMC: working
  • SD Card: working
  • Backlight: working
  • LCD: looks ok for now *¹
  • Touch: working
  • Wifi: working
  • Fuel Gauge: working
  • GPU: working
  • Compass: working
  • Sound: work in progress
  • Sensors: not working
  • Mic Jack: not working
  • Bluetooth: not working
  • Charger: not working
  • Battery Management: not working
  • Power Management very basic
  • LED: not working
  • IR: not working
  • Accessories (e.g. Keyboard, HDMI Connector, USB Connector): not working
  • Camera: not working
  • Flash: not working
  • Modem: not working

*¹ not sure whether I need to do something here as the old LCD driver was basically only consisting of the backlight and the lcd clock which can be done via power domain management I think, still it's not a lot of work to implement if need be

Things that I need to keep in mind:
  • I'm working with hw revision 6 which has an Atmel touchscreen, there seem to be other versions with a Synaptics touchscreen
  • the code has references to hw revisions <5, 5, 6 and 9 which has some implications on the exact config for different devices (like gpio config, sound, sensors and maybe others)
  • -> search for system_rev or hw_rev in arch/arm/mach-exynos

Initial post:

Just wanted to share some progress on my N8000 Mainline adventures. Thanks to the effort of fourkbomb, there is a lot of stuff for the Galaxy S3 and Midas platform already present in the kernel which is similar to the Note 10.1. Learning from his device tree config, I created my own for the N8000 which contains some basic stuff to make things work so much that it boots. I combined that with buildroot and currently have a serial port spitting out v5.2 kernel logs and presenting me with a login. Unfortunately I cannot actually login yet as it seems that my input is not getting through to the device and I'm not yet sure why.

There is also a lot of missing stuff, the display driver for example is very special for all the N80xx. It seems to be very much married to the MDNIE driver which is not present in mainline and this is a rather complex beast. I managed to light it up but no signal for now. Wifi, sensors, charger, battery, sounds and a lot of other stuff is also missing, so there is some work left. But I'm making steady progress here so I'm confident that we will at some point be able to boot Android with it.

I want to clean up things before I release anything, so stay tuned.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Carnage For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Don Carnage Ad-Free
16th October 2019, 12:43 AM |#2  
OP Member

More
An update for my mainline progress, there is kernel logs on the display now! I'm currently working on the touch screen config.
18th October 2019, 02:32 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1,566

More
Oh Nice to see.
But i think not many people read the General forum anymore ^^
You might want to mention this in the Dev thread.
29th November 2019, 02:03 AM |#4  
Flag Motala
Thanks Meter: 420

Donate to Me
More
Do you have a git repository anywhere? I found a Note 10 8000 hidden in a box and wanted to get a working small working terminal up on the wall at my 3D-Printer/Soldering-workstation, I would be happy to be tinkering around som with the code.

Nevermind, found it.
29th November 2019, 09:58 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fldc

Do you have a git repository anywhere? I found a Note 10 8000 hidden in a box and wanted to get a working small working terminal up on the wall at my 3D-Printer/Soldering-workstation, I would be happy to be tinkering around som with the code.

Nevermind, found it.

Hey, great to hear that you want to tinker with it. Remember that I currently work on rev 6 of the hardware, the version info can be found in the atags of the kernel log. You may run into issues with other revisions but it should be fine.

For the wifi settings, you need the correct nvram file. I'm not yet sure whether you can determine it by the version of the hardware, the current way is a macloader in the current hardware repo.

I extracted the touchscreen firmware from the sources and put them in my buildroot repo. The driver will look for a file called maxtouch.fw on boot.

I hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Carnage For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Don Carnage Ad-Free
29th November 2019, 11:01 PM |#6  
Flag Motala
Thanks Meter: 420

Donate to Me
More
Thank you very much for the pointers, I haven't t really been into kernel development since Samsung Galaxy S2 (9100), but getting a proper Linux installation on this device would fit me perfectly so I would happily try things on my side, keep us posted.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)