FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Stock screen protector info

372 posts
Thanks Meter: 208

By bignazpwns, Senior Member on 6th February 2020, 03:03 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'll be adding to this with some updates and if i ever find a source i'll post a link to order more.

Stock screen protector is glass...Well an extremely thin layer of glass making almost plastic like. press hard and you don't scratch it. You just plow through the glass to the plastic later under it.

i work with photonics so i got all kinds of fun stuff. So im going to measure how thick the glass layer is on it.

Definitely feels like this is a what they will be moving to for fordable displays. But the issues is its so thin the glass chips up on a scratch instead of just being a light surface scratch.

But i'll be updating this with some measurements and pictures under high magnification and some of the display in another topic with pixel size and all that like i typically do.

More info will be added with mesurements.

It's 4 layers. Glass. Middle plastic later and an adhesive later. I'll post actual measurements soon as I confirm it. I did not have time to check the calibration on it today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200206_181608.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	4944499   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200206_183040.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	4944501   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200206_181656.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	4944503   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200206_182128.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	4944505  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bignazpwns For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bignazpwns Ad-Free
6th February 2020, 04:32 PM |#2  
Flag Ridgewood, NJ
Thanks Meter: 216

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignazpwns

I'll be adding to this with some updates and if i ever find a source i'll post a link to order more.

Stock screen protector is glass...Well an extremely thin layer of glass making almost plastic like. press hard and you don't scratch it. You just plow through the glass to the plastic later under it.

i work with photonics so i got all kinds of fun stuff. So im going to measure how thick the glass layer is on it.

Definitely feels like this is a what they will be moving to for fordable displays. But the issues is its so thin the glass chips up on a scratch instead of just being a light surface scratch.

But i'll be updating this with some measurements and pictures under high magnification and some of the display in another topic with pixel size and all that like i typically do.

I have Verizon 10+ 5G... The factory screen protector had actually ripped on one corner of mine (before I finally removed it) - so mine at least was definitely not glass -

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
6th February 2020, 04:54 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KruseLudsMobile

I have Verizon 10+ 5G... The factory screen protector had actually ripped on one corner of mine (before I finally removed it) - so mine at least was definitely not glass -

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

It is. It's plastic with and extremely thin layer of glass. That's how I found out it was glass. I ripped it looked at the edge and it was saw toothed. Checked under a microscope and tiny shards of glass. I'll post pics later today.
The Following User Says Thank You to bignazpwns For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bignazpwns Ad-Free
6th February 2020, 06:33 PM |#4  
Flag In The Matrix
Thanks Meter: 369

More
Would you say the stock one is decent quality as I was thinking of taking mine off as i find it to have a hazy snowy effect on white backgrounds and when viewing hdr videos ect

I had a note 10 before and i took it off and there was quite a difference in removing the stock protector (was quite a bit clearer)

Thanks
7th February 2020, 12:45 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockyneo

Would you say the stock one is decent quality as I was thinking of taking mine off as i find it to have a hazy snowy effect on white backgrounds and when viewing hdr videos ect

I had a note 10 before and i took it off and there was quite a difference in removing the stock protector (was quite a bit clearer)

Thanks

Pictures added

That's from the layers used. 4 layers. You get some optical effect ls with light bending when you start passing through multiple layers.

Glass
Adhesive
Plastic
Adhesive
9th February 2020, 08:15 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
You are great!
Small questions
It's anti shock to drops?
9th February 2020, 11:19 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad Ryashi

You are great!
Small questions
It's anti shock to drops?

None. It's extremely thin with no property's to protect from shock.
11th February 2020, 12:45 AM |#8  
Flag Boise, Idaho
Thanks Meter: 1,697

More
I have a Note 10 and I can confirm the stock protector is glass and the outer layer is easily scratched.
I had my phone in my coat pocket and hung it up at the doctor's office. When I went to put it on my phone flew out of the pocket, hit the hard cement floor and cracked the screen.

I filed a claim with Asurion and they came to my house to replace it. The tech took my phone and disappeared off to his little van.
He came back in less than 5 minutes!
Good news, your screen wasn't cracked!
It was the screen protector.

You couldn't feel it because it is not the top layer.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
11th February 2020, 08:57 AM |#9  
Flag outside of ATL, GA
Thanks Meter: 492

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget!

I filed a claim with Asurion and they came to my house to replace it. The tech took my phone and disappeared off to his little van.

Wow, had no idea Asurion made house calls! Granted it's been years since I filed a claim, and I'm sure it's only available in a few area, but I never imagined that. Actually I'm shocked! I can't imagine that's a competitive market, and there's no way that can be profitable. I've gotta look it up now cause that's intrigued me
11th February 2020, 09:09 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget!

I have a Note 10 and I can confirm the stock protector is glass and the outer layer is easily scratched.
I had my phone in my coat pocket and hung it up at the doctor's office. When I went to put it on my phone flew out of the pocket, hit the hard cement floor and cracked the screen.

Good news, your screen wasn't cracked!
It was the screen protector.

You couldn't feel it because it is not the top layer.

Yeah it works great for resisting scratches for cleaning I love it. However I press on it with a key it rips that layer up and it looks much worse then a scratch due to how the light is reflected.

People really need to know that there is glass and it's extremely thin. This is a safety issue. Get a scratch. Touch the screen it won't cut you but stick on your skin and if you run your eyes you can get some serious eye damage. Samsung really needs to put that info out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200206_182128.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	4947813  
12th February 2020, 08:45 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Confirmed this was a test for the screen on the Z flip. It uses an improved version of this for the top layer bof the display. I don't know what they improved but it can be much. If I get the runs to actually pick on up and do some test on it I'll post it but I probably won't waste my money since it will destroy the display. Probably pick one up used that the display is damaged after a while.

They could of gone with a slightly thicker layer of glass and the adhesive used would be an optical uv adhesive so being in the optoelectronics field I have an idea of what adhesive they would use. It should help by providing a put more support for the glass top layer but the improvement will actually be pretty small.

But if I can I'll be doing that but I gotta start cutting back on buying phones nto run game benchmarks on and test the displays and what not. I'm upto about $6,000 in phones just last year.

Soon I'll be checking out the displays on the note 10 under mag and mesure pixel size and all that. But work is pretty busy since everyone is rolling out 5g now and they all need what we make and it's only going to ramp up throughout the year.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)