FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Galaxy Note 10+ OTA Update

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By s0nic69, Junior Member on 8th August 2019, 09:13 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

I am hoping someone here has a good understanding on how updates work with Samsung Galaxy models.

On my Verizon Note 9, earlier this year, I was able to rush an update before Verizon released it. I did it by downloading the official one from ATT (or sprint, can't remember) and it worked. It updated my phone and I even remained on track for future updates. I did this because based on the research I did, carrier phones are all the same hardware, and the carrier software gets installed based on the SIM that gets inserted into the phone. So the updates are interchangeable pretty much.

I am looking at upgrading to the note 10+, Verizon is offering me $400 for my note 9. Samsung is offering me $600 but only if i buy the unlocked model. So my questions is in regards to the unlocked model. Would I be able to do the same with an unlocked phone? Can i install a carrier update on an unlocked phone. I am aware that unlocked phones do not receive updates as quickly as carrier phones (it was the opposite a few years ago).

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

8th August 2019, 09:23 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
I ordered the unlocked model as well. As soon as you pop your SIM into the phone it will carrier lock (bootloader) to that carrier and you'll start getting updates pushed by that carrier.

Ill be waiting off any updates personally so that i can get root
8th August 2019, 09:40 PM |#3  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 199

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo100292

I ordered the unlocked model as well. As soon as you pop your SIM into the phone it will carrier lock (bootloader) to that carrier and you'll start getting updates pushed by that carrier.

you positive this is correct as the phone will lock when inserting sim into it? Also, aren't you losing wifi calling/RCS/Video Calling?
8th August 2019, 10:00 PM |#4  
Retired Forum Moderator
Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,130

More
Quote:

A little bit of clarification, the bootloader will always remain locked on any device with Snapdragon, this includes The carrier and Unlocked devices sold in the US and Canada
The Following User Says Thank You to kangi26 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kangi26 Ad-Free
8th August 2019, 10:25 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by antawnm26

you positive this is correct as the phone will lock when inserting sim into it? Also, aren't you losing wifi calling/RCS/Video Calling?

Mmm, i might be wrong. RCS is going to be carrier dependent only for a little while longer since Google is taking that over. Video calling will also depend on which app you're using

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangi26

A little bit of clarification, the bootloader will always remain locked on any device with Snapdragon, this includes The carrier and Unlocked devices sold in the US and Canada

Thats correct. I knew it was either the old way that i mentioned or this way. I just hope that getting the bootloader unlocked and achieving root is easy. Last time i attempted this on a Samsung was back with my Note3 and it was a huge PITA
9th August 2019, 12:50 AM |#6  
Flag toronto
Thanks Meter: 8,007

More
Quote:

As mentioned Sim locked is most definitely NOT the same as BL lock dude. Two totally different things.

All the US versions will be BL locked like always.

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Quote:

Mmm, i might be wrong. RCS is going to be carrier dependent only for a little while longer since Google is taking that over. Video calling will also depend on which app you're using

Thats correct. I knew it was either the old way that i mentioned or this way. I just hope that getting the bootloader unlocked and achieving root is easy. Last time i attempted this on a Samsung was back with my Note3 and it was a huge PITA

Never going to happen, there will be no root or anything for the US models.

Your way behind the times....compared to the days of the Note 3 things are way worse and complicated now in regards to locked down BLs.

If you want an unlockable BL go with a latin anerican or HK snapdragon or an exynos device.

Other than that you are SOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to force70 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift force70 Ad-Free
9th August 2019, 01:32 AM |#7  
Flag Westfield
Thanks Meter: 59

Donate to Me
More
once the tools for this model get released, in theory you should be able to. However it might not happen right away.

Also, being unlocked still allows all features like visual voicemail, HD voice, hotspot and wi-fi calling. However you will be significantly delayed on security and fw updates, as unlocked requires all carriers to test and release these updates first, then the unlocked devices get the updates. This is why after a year of owning my first unlocked phones (note9 and s10+ 1tb unlocked) I decided to go with a carrier phone again.
9th August 2019, 02:37 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 850

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nic69

Hello,

I am hoping someone here has a good understanding on how updates work with Samsung Galaxy models.

On my Verizon Note 9, earlier this year, I was able to rush an update before Verizon released it. I did it by downloading the official one from ATT (or sprint, can't remember) and it worked. It updated my phone and I even remained on track for future updates. I did this because based on the research I did, carrier phones are all the same hardware, and the carrier software gets installed based on the SIM that gets inserted into the phone. So the updates are interchangeable pretty much.

I am looking at upgrading to the note 10+, Verizon is offering me $400 for my note 9. Samsung is offering me $600 but only if i buy the unlocked model. So my questions is in regards to the unlocked model. Would I be able to do the same with an unlocked phone? Can i install a carrier update on an unlocked phone. I am aware that unlocked phones do not receive updates as quickly as carrier phones (it was the opposite a few years ago).

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I just left T-Mobile with my unlocked from Samsung Note 9. When I powered off the phone and turned it back on with the Verizon SIM it gave me all of the Verizon stuff and I recently got the Verizon security patch, so yes it will work. Verizon is giving 450 dollars not 400 dollars for all of the phones they list. Even the S7. Just so other people don't think they will only get 400.
The Following User Says Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Semantics Ad-Free
9th August 2019, 03:01 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by force70

As mentioned Sim locked is most definitely NOT the same as BL lock dude. Two totally different things.

All the US versions will be BL locked like always.

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Never going to happen, there will be no root or anything for the US models.

Your way behind the times....compared to the days of the Note 3 things are way worse and complicated now in regards to locked down BLs.

If you want an unlockable BL go with a latin anerican or HK snapdragon or an exynos device.

Other than that you are SOL

Yeah I'm screwed lol. We'll see if I can go without root, if not I'll see what kind of deals the p4xl gets during the holidays
The Following User Says Thank You to Cosmo100292 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cosmo100292 Ad-Free
9th August 2019, 12:12 PM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Laramie, Wyoming
Thanks Meter: 13,879

Donate to Me
More
Pre-ordered AT&T Note 10 Plus 256gb , 12gb ram Black Color. So really don't need root so all good here on my AT&T Note9 512GB
The Following User Says Thank You to Venom0642 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Venom0642 Ad-Free
9th August 2019, 12:18 PM |#11  
Flag Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 337

More
Quote:

You will not ever get root on a Snapdragon Samsung Device. Won't happen. There are no unlocked bootloaders. An Unlocked Snapdraggon means it is not locked to a Carrier - it does not mean the Bootloader is unlocked. Sorry if this bursts your bubble - but if you want to get Root - you will need to buy an International Exynos Variant - N975F - it s the only way you will get root. It has been this way for MANY Years for new Samsnung Snapdragon Devices.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)