FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Galaxy Note Series for Dummies

14 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By LordGMLP, Junior Member on 12th July 2019, 02:35 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,

I'm a new initiate to the (awesome) Galaxy Note line. Jumping ship from iOS to replace the age old iPhone 6 Plus. Never owned one before except a few glorious moments with a Note8 borrowed from my mum. Going all out on Android this time around with the Note10. Just a few questions please:

+ How smooth is the data transfer from iOS to Android? What is carried over and/or left behind? I have years of messages, photos, contacts calendar items and about 30GB of music in the iPhone.
+ I read that Samsung is not particularly good with latest Android updates, so low chance of Android Q appearing at launch unlike Google Nexus 4. How long does it take normally for Samsung to offer upgrade from launch?
+ Any recommended tweaks/settings and Play store downloads I need to make immediately out of the box? I honestly felt dumb playing around the Note8 settings after years in the Apple camp

Much appreciated.

15th July 2019, 01:14 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGMLP

Hi all,

I'm a new initiate to the (awesome) Galaxy Note line. Jumping ship from iOS to replace the age old iPhone 6 Plus. Never owned one before except a few glorious moments with a Note8 borrowed from my mum. Going all out on Android this time around with the Note10. Just a few questions please:

+ How smooth is the data transfer from iOS to Android? What is carried over and/or left behind? I have years of messages, photos, contacts calendar items and about 30GB of music in the iPhone.
+ I read that Samsung is not particularly good with latest Android updates, so low chance of Android Q appearing at launch unlike Google Nexus 4. How long does it take normally for Samsung to offer upgrade from launch?
+ Any recommended tweaks/settings and Play store downloads I need to make immediately out of the box? I honestly felt dumb playing around the Note8 settings after years in the Apple camp

Much appreciated.

1. Note 10 supports UFS 3.0 storage standard. This storage is faster than iPhone's storage - you can expect absolute speed and smoothness. There is a bunch of apps out there but Samsung has its own utility to transfer all data.

2. So far I experienced, last two lines always gets the newest Androids really quickly. So, up to Note 12, you do not have to be scared of having an old Android.

3. I do not think you need anything to set-up. It works perfectly out of the box. Just ensure you have gmail account and you are good to go. Also, do not forget to try out Dex mode with Linux on Dex - it's a HUGE deal that iPhone really does not have (will not have at least for upcoming 2-3 years).

Regards Jaroslav
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaroslav_III For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jaroslav_III Ad-Free
16th July 2019, 08:22 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 539

More
I stupidly changed from a Note 9 to an iPhone XS+ just because I wanted the Apple watch 4. I have regretted it every day since! The Apple watch 4 is certainly in a league of its own but it cannot compensate for the loss of my beloved Note 9. I am waiting for the Note 10 with great impatience.
You will find the two OS totally different and also the use of the S-pen makes the Note 10 a mini pocket computer, the things I could do with my Note 9 that I cannot do with the Apple is amazing. Its going to be difficult to change again but oh so worth the learning curve again. I hope I have finally learned my lesson with Apple?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)