FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Note 10 Plus bad standby battery drain

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 1
 
By peterdayeh, Junior Member on 1st September 2019, 10:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've had my AT&T Note 10 plus for over a week now, and for the first week the battery life was stellar. Three days ago seemingly out of nowhere, battery life had tanked. Some context - I came from a Note 9 which had fantastic battery life. Location on, widgets, notifications, etc were enabled. I feel I shouldn't have to yield to or cripple my phone to get decent battery life from it so I refuse to do that on a device that costs this much. It should just work.

Anyway, fast-forward to three days ago with my note 10+ - same settings and everything as my previous note 9 - and out of nowhere the battery life just starts to tank. Android System is seems to be the drain, but I'm not sure what in there is causing it. The phone is constantly warm. As an experiment, I've put it on airplane mode now with wifi still on and the phone has cooled down but I'm not sure yet if the battery is being drained less or not as it's only been a few minutes. But, I am losing about 6% battery/hr not even using the phone. That is rather unacceptable after it having worked just fine the first several days I've had it. I refuse to disable location and do other seemingly band-aid tricks to help the battery along as I don't feel that really solves the issue and should be unnecessary for a device that costs this much money. I also refuse to factory reset unless I ABSOLUTELY have to because these phones are a pain in the rear to setup, even with Samsung/Google's restore. So many settings to go in and manipulate.

I hope this resolves itself or I can get to the bottom of it somehow. I really love this phone and really don't want to go back to my iPhone XS Max over a battery issue but it is just unacceptable for the battery to drain like this with little to no actual use of the phone. The other night by the time I had placed it on the charger, android system was up over 30%...


is anyone else experiencing this problem?

I apologize if this has been discussed before - I couldn't find anything similar.

EDIT
After putting the phone in airplane mode (wifi left on), it has cooled down and battery drain seems to have improved. According to the battery graph it looks like the phone is also finally going to sleep. Previously the graph went straight down to the right with no flat spots.

What could this be? My cell reception hasn't changed and I'm at wit's end
1st September 2019, 11:20 PM |#2  
ggrant3876's Avatar
Senior Member
Wichita Falls, Texas
Thanks Meter: 573
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdayeh

I've had my AT&T Note 10 plus for over a week now, and for the first week the battery life was stellar. Three days ago seemingly out of nowhere, battery life had tanked. Some context - I came from a Note 9 which had fantastic battery life. Location on, widgets, notifications, etc were enabled. I feel I shouldn't have to yield to or cripple my phone to get decent battery life from it so I refuse to do that on a device that costs this much. It should just work.

Anyway, fast-forward to three days ago with my note 10+ - same settings and everything as my previous note 9 - and out of nowhere the battery life just starts to tank. Android System is seems to be the drain, but I'm not sure what in there is causing it. The phone is constantly warm. As an experiment, I've put it on airplane mode now with wifi still on and the phone has cooled down but I'm not sure yet if the battery is being drained less or not as it's only been a few minutes. But, I am losing about 6% battery/hr not even using the phone. That is rather unacceptable after it having worked just fine the first several days I've had it. I refuse to disable location and do other seemingly band-aid tricks to help the battery along as I don't feel that really solves the issue and should be unnecessary for a device that costs this much money. I also refuse to factory reset unless I ABSOLUTELY have to because these phones are a pain in the rear to setup, even with Samsung/Google's restore. So many settings to go in and manipulate.

I hope this resolves itself or I can get to the bottom of it somehow. I really love this phone and really don't want to go back to my iPhone XS Max over a battery issue but it is just unacceptable for the battery to drain like this with little to no actual use of the phone. The other night by the time I had placed it on the charger, android system was up over 30%...


is anyone else experiencing this problem?

I apologize if this has been discussed before - I couldn't find anything similar.

EDIT
After putting the phone in airplane mode (wifi left on), it has cooled down and battery drain seems to have improved. According to the battery graph it looks like the phone is also finally going to sleep. Previously the graph went straight down to the right with no flat spots.

What could this be? My cell reception hasn't changed and I'm at wit's end

I use Naptime from the play store by Francisco Franco and no as the title of his app says you don't get 9000% better battery. You'll need a couple of adb commands to get it to work it you're not rooted.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nco.doze&hl=en

This is a quote from Franco - Unbelievably improve the battery life during idle of your device by empowering Android's built-in Doze power saving functionality. It supports Marshmallow, Nougat, Oreo and now Pie. It features more options for rooted devices, but it'll also work if you're unrooted.

Naptime also allows you to disable WiFi, mobile data, location & bluetooth during doze for that battery life /flex 🤟
1st September 2019, 11:45 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
I find that I'm losing around 1 to 0.7% per hour is that normal or considered good? The other night my phone was at 95% I woke up 6 or so hours later and it was a 89%. I'll need to do some thorough testing, but I don't know what to make of those results.

Anyone on here have some advice on weather that idle time is good or bad? My device is an unlocked n10plus running Snapdragon
2nd September 2019, 02:06 AM |#4  
herpi's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
-If you charge to 100 and put it next to your bed. How much is it next morning?
-do you use the led cover?
-are there any less known apps in your list?

Switching off wifi, Bluetooth etc is useless. These are efficient enough nowadays.
I tested these kind of "tricks" and no difference after my nightly sleep test.

Sometimes an app like evernote, google foto's or journey is downloading a lot of data in your new phone.

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 AM ----------

With all my last Notes I get a .6 till .9% per hour in a situation where i put my Note next to my bed and do not touch it during sleeping hours.
I live on three different locations, in different countries even, and that shows some battery consuming difference. Routers and provider locations are not the same.

I have more than 180 apps installed. No games however.

I am not rooted, but use GSAM battery monitor. The quickest way to see the hourly consumption.

Factory reset means a full day work for me. E.g. banking apps need a lot of tuning. Even using Google and Samsung restore.
2nd September 2019, 02:24 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by herpi

-If you charge to 100 and put it next to your bed. How much is it next morning?
-do you use the led cover?
-are there any less known apps in your list?

Switching off wifi, Bluetooth etc is useless. These are efficient enough nowadays.
I tested these kind of "tricks" and no difference after my nightly sleep test.

Sometimes an app like evernote, google foto's or journey is downloading a lot of data in your new phone.

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 AM ----------

With all my last Notes I get a .6 till .9% per hour in a situation where i put my Note next to my bed and do not touch it during sleeping hours.
I live on three different locations, in different countries even, and that shows some battery consuming difference. Routers and provider locations are not the same.

I have more than 180 apps installed. No games however.

I am not rooted, but use GSAM battery monitor. The quickest way to see the hourly consumption.

Factory reset means a full day work for me. E.g. banking apps need a lot of tuning. Even using Google and Samsung restore.

I charge it overnight while I'm sleeping. No lesser-known apps installed, no LED cover either. Not rooted. this literally happened out of nowhere after days of it being great. Not sure what could have happened, or if it's something on ATT's end? I don't know where else to look. I'm with you on the factory reset. It's such a waste of time and will take up hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to peterdayeh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift peterdayeh Ad-Free
2nd September 2019, 02:37 AM |#6  
kerymercury's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 41
 
More
mine also been facing this battery drain issue since day one. Tried using naptime just now and it improve my battery life ALOT!! Thanks for the suggestion
The Following User Says Thank You to kerymercury For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kerymercury Ad-Free
2nd September 2019, 02:48 AM |#7  
herpi's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdayeh

I charge it overnight while I'm sleeping. No lesser-known apps installed, no LED cover either. Not rooted. this literally happened out of nowhere after days of it being great. Not sure what could have happened, or if it's something on ATT's end? I don't know where else to look. I'm with you on the factory reset. It's such a waste of time and will take up hours.

Pls try to charge it before going to bed and leave it to see how much it spends overnight w i t h o u t touching it. If it is higher than 1+%/hr something is wrong..

I buy a new phone every year because I am nuts. But I always register in Evernote my findings.
Frequently the power consumption is higher in the beginning, because a lot of background activity like data reading and background update of software.
If it is more than, let's say 1.2%/hr during overnight sleep it is not ok.
I am doing this test now with my Note 10+ 512 (Yes i am nuts, I told you) and will inform you later.

After seven hours .8%/hr which is normal.
2nd September 2019, 03:00 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by herpi

Pls try to charge it before going to bed and leave it to see how much it spends overnight w i t h o u t touching it. If it is higher than 1+%/hr something is wrong..

I buy a new phone every year because I am nuts. But I always register in Evernote my findings.
Frequently the power consumption is higher in the beginning, because a lot of background activity like data reading and background update of software.
If it is more than, let's say 1.2%/hr during overnight sleep it is not ok.
I am doing this test now with my Note 10+ 512 (Yes i am nuts, I told you) and will inform you later.

I can tell you right now that it's losing 5-6% an hour just sitting there. The phone has been set up for days now so I know it's not the setup process. Like i said, it was fine for almost a week, then out of nowhere this happens...
2nd September 2019, 04:06 AM |#9  
herpi's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdayeh

I can tell you right now that it's losing 5-6% an hour just sitting there. The phone has been set up for days now so I know it's not the setup process. Like i said, it was fine for almost a week, then out of nowhere this happens...

Pffff, you have a problem. So in settings/maintenance/battery there no apps with high use?
After just rebooting the phone the consumption starts immediately?
2nd September 2019, 04:29 AM |#10  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by herpi

Pffff, you have a problem. So in settings/maintenance/battery there no apps with high use?
After just rebooting the phone the consumption starts immediately?

Yes...I know I have a problem...Android System is the culprit. Beyond that, I do not know what in "android system" is causing it. Perhaps a wake lock bug? A wifi bug?
8th October 2019, 07:14 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Braunschweig
Thanks Meter: 21
 
Donate to Me
More
It's always the same with my Samsung devices it's rediciculus Samsung. On your note 10 or note 10+ before switching to flight mode set the network setting to 3g only! In 7 hours you will loose only 2% battery instead of 8 or more. Same was on my note 9 but Samsung finally patched this behavior a few month ago. Now the same with my note 10+.

This problem is only for the flight mode. So you can test 3 things in 3 nights. You have 3 options before going in flight mode. In network selection choose 3g only. Than watch what happens over night. Next time you choose 2g/3g only and you can try it with 2g only.

For me doing so 1-2 % battery drain in 7-8 hours.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes