FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Why I'm Disappointed with the Note 10 and Current Cell Phones in General

431 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By rambo6, Senior Member on 9th September 2019, 12:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I’ve been in love with electronic gadgets for years. I had the first Palm Pilot and the HTC Blue Angel, a great windows mobile phone with a keyboard. Many of you are probably too young to be familiar with these devices. Each year, and sometimes twice a year, I would get so excited to see the new devices come out sporting new tech. I would buy two new phones a year, usually from Samsung as the new Galaxy S and Note models came out. I HAVE NEVER BEEN AS DISAPPOINTED WITH THE CELL PHONE MANUFACTURERS AS I AM TODAY. Let me explain why.

Apple is one of the most successful cell phone manufacturers. The I-Phone (the I stands for Idiot) has not been successful because of its great design or software; but because so many people were already hooked on the I-Pad and I-Tunes for their music and media. Another feature that has kept Apple high on the sales charts is I-Message. Though the Apple has good (not great) hardware, its software is for idiots (this is good because there are so many of them) and its feature set is very weak. My primary disgust with current phones is that all the Android manufactures are chasing Apple and removing features that made their cell phones great.
Let’s look at some of these features.

Removable Battery.

A phone is no good if the battery is dead. HTC and Samsung started out right with a replaceable battery. The idiot Apple loving pundits in this industry have reported gleefully that the removeable battery is gone forever. I hope not. No matter how fast a cell phone charges, there’s always times when you just don’t have time to charge. There are so many times when you realize your battery is almost dead and you need to be somewhere else NOW. I’m currently using the last of the great phones with a replaceable batter – the LG V20. I am an extremely heavy cell phone user. I have four batteries (one came with the phone) and three chargers. I keep a charged battery in my pocket and two in the chargers. I never have to plug in my phone. For each of my three sets of battery and charger I paid $22. So for $66, I never run out charge.
I laugh when I see others tell me – “Wait, I cannot go yet, my phone’s dead.” The most idiotic thing is Samsung making a phone that can share a charge with others. Who the heck is going to do that? What Samsung and other manufactures should do is sell a charger and battery set direct for $29 or less. They charge $29 for their wireless chargers and you end up needing two or three so you can have one at the office and a couple at home anyways.
One of the most important things about the removeable battery is the ability to extend the life of the phone. The life of batteries decreases after a short period. It’s ridiculous and costly to have to send in your phone to have the battery replaced.
Build Quality/Cellular Connectivity
On any given day, you can find a reviewer of a cellular device touting “build quality.” Are they just stupid or Apple lovers? Samsung’s build quality was berated by reviewers because they had cheap plastic frames and plastic backs on their phones. This cheap plastic was great. The plastic back allowed easy access to the battery, SIM card, and SD card. Furthermore, plastic frames have better cellular connectivity than aluminum frames do. They are also much cheaper to make and are lighter. Most use a phone case to protect their phones anyway.
So because the industry has chased Apple, we Android users have no replaceable battery, no easy access to SIM and SD cards, heavier phones, and a much higher cost – now over $1,000. My Samsung Note 9 is so heavy that I get fatigued just holding it up in bed. The Note 2 made years ago was a masterpiece in terms of manufacture and feel. It was light and had nice curved corners. It felt great in the hand.

Screen & Screen Dimensions.

Most cell phone manufactures have a great screen. However, somewhere along the way, Samsung decided that a curved screen was a good idea. It’s just a stupid and useless sales gimmick. A flat screen can be easily protected with a case the edges of which extend above the screen. Such a case not only protects the screen but allows one to grip the device without touching the screen.
My next screen grip is the narrow screen. We cannot blame this trend on Apple. As I’ve aged, I need to use reading glasses. When the screens were wider (3 inches and above), I could read almost everything without my reading glasses. With my Note 9, I must use my glasses all the time. I have a LG Stylo 3 too. It has a wide screen that is easy for me to read. Also viewing videos on the wider screen is much better for everyone.
I get it that some people have small hands and need a slimmer phone. But there’s lots of people out there with big hands. You’d think that with all the Android phone models designed each year, someone could make a phone for us men. LG, you’ve got a ThinQ line. How about a FatQ line?

Camera.

Most of the cameras on today’s higher end phones are great and they need to be. I’d like to see more optical magnification.

3.5mm Jack.

Samsung, don’t you get it? People want the 3.5mm jack. Yes, they all have Bluetooth headsets. But sometimes you forget to charge them or need to use a wired headset for other purposes. I bought the Note 9 but will NOT be buying the Note 10 primarily due to the lack of a headphone jack.

IR Blaster/FM Radio.

These are two features I really miss on phones. I love not having to search for my TV’s remote control. This was a great feature now missing on almost all phones. I guess if Apple doesn’t have it, then no one needs it.
The FM radio may seem outdated to some. However, us older guys listen to talk radio and a bunch of other stuff that makes us smarter not dumber like the music you listen to on Spotify, etc. Furthermore, FM radio doesn’t suck the life out of the battery like I-Heart radio. What’s really nice about the FM radio is that you can get reception even where you don’t have cell service. This could be important in an emergency where cell service is down. I use the FM radio at our cabin where the cell signal is weak.
FM radio is available on almost all chips my by Qualcomm and Samsung. Yet, many manufacturers, including Google, make their phones so the FM radio is not functional. Shame on them.

Conclusion.

Android phone manufacturers are giving us phones that have less features, are less useful, are heavier and cost more. What’s the advantage of buying a new phone? Is it any wonder that the sales of flagship cell phones are decreasing? Quit chasing Apple and start adding back in real features that add value.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rambo6 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rambo6 Ad-Free
9th September 2019, 02:21 AM |#2  
Flag California City, CA
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Nobody gives a **** that you miss the removable battery or that you don't like the phone. Save it for your diary.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NeutronBomb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NeutronBomb Ad-Free
9th September 2019, 03:11 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 592

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutronBomb

Nobody gives a **** that you miss the removable battery or that you don't like the phone. Save it for your diary.

I give a **** that he misses the removable battery!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neo3D For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Neo3D Ad-Free
9th September 2019, 05:18 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo3D

I give a **** that he misses the removable battery!

As do I. It should never of been removed as an option.
The Following User Says Thank You to DKI For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DKI Ad-Free
9th September 2019, 08:38 PM |#5  
UK
Thanks Meter: 357

More
Form over function. Design over usability.

These are the priorities that Apple promoted and all other manufacturers followed, sadly.
12th September 2019, 10:02 AM |#6  
Bollocks!
"a phone is no good if the battery is dead" = A car is no good if its gastank is empty. Do you carry additional gastanks with you to extend the mileage, or do you have the discipline to stop for gas when it is needed?

You are complaining about the lack of removable battery because you like to extend the phone's life by buying additional batteries. But you are buying two new phones every year? In my opinion that doesn't make any sense unless you're collecting them for a personal museum-like use.
If I could use to choose between removable battery or waterproof housing back in the days (let's say around the Note 2 era) I would have chosen waterproof housing. These days I cannot imagine why someone is not been able to charge there phones on a regular (daily) basis. So carrying extra batteries all day sounds stupid to me, and is the main reason powerbanks exist.

- 3,5mm jack?...Old technology....forget about it en move on.
- Rounded glass, metal frame not good? Millions of devices are bought by customers who are drooling about their shiny metal and rounded devices. Why in the hell would a manufacturer not jump in that gap and keep using ugly plastic screens and bodies? People are willing to pay the high prices for it...it is just a simple matter of demand.
- IR blaster? Seriously? In an era where we could controle devices with wifi/BT, even with voice commands etc.
- FM radio? There are dozens of apps out there where you could listen to thousands (if not more) radiostations, in the most cases in digital quality.
Your post, I mean rant, is nothing but a whining post about features that have had their time. Technology is moving on, I suggest you do too. Maybe you get a revelation and see that (not all ) I-Phone users aren't idiots. Those who keeps complaining about "it was way better back then" are...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jabberwock For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jabberwock Ad-Free
12th September 2019, 04:38 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock

Bollocks!
"a phone is no good if the battery is dead" = A car is no good if its gastank is empty. Do you carry additional gastanks with you to extend the mileage, or do you have the discipline to stop for gas when it is needed?

You are complaining about the lack of removable battery because you like to extend the phone's life by buying additional batteries. But you are buying two new phones every year? In my opinion that doesn't make any sense unless you're collecting them for a personal museum-like use.
If I could use to choose between removable battery or waterproof housing back in the days (let's say around the Note 2 era) I would have chosen waterproof housing. These days I cannot imagine why someone is not been able to charge there phones on a regular (daily) basis. So carrying extra batteries all day sounds stupid to me, and is the main reason powerbanks exist.

- 3,5mm jack?...Old technology....forget about it en move on.
- Rounded glass, metal frame not good? Millions of devices are bought by customers who are drooling about their shiny metal and rounded devices. Why in the hell would a manufacturer not jump in that gap and keep using ugly plastic screens and bodies? People are willing to pay the high prices for it...it is just a simple matter of demand.
- IR blaster? Seriously? In an era where we could controle devices with wifi/BT, even with voice commands etc.
- FM radio? There are dozens of apps out there where you could listen to thousands (if not more) radiostations, in the most cases in digital quality.
Your post, I mean rant, is nothing but a whining post about features that have had their time. Technology is moving on, I suggest you do too. Maybe you get a revelation and see that (not all ) I-Phone users aren't idiots. Those who keeps complaining about "it was way better back then" are...

OMG! Chill, guys. He was only expressing an opinion, not attacking your mother.
12th September 2019, 08:46 PM |#8  
Flag WA
Thanks Meter: 252

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat3k

OMG! Chill, guys. He was only expressing an opinion, not attacking your mother.

Agreed! One thing I really don't understand...why manufacturer's follow apple? Unless apple pays other manufacturers To me it is the same thing if someone jumps from the bridge, then I would be doing it as well. Why not to do the opposite...Apple removed headphone jack, we(android people) keep it. When manufacturers follow apple, it shows users that apple is smart and go ahead buy their products. There are so many manufacturers around the worlds and once a notch on the phone became a thing, many started to copy. Small camera cutout is fine, but not the big notch!
12th September 2019, 09:09 PM |#9  
Flag Lisboa
Thanks Meter: 353

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo6

Though the Apple has good (not great) hardware, its software is for idiots (this is good because there are so many of them) and its feature set is very weak.

Apple actually has great hardware. Their SOC is something that Qualcomm just can't match. As for their software, it's not "for idiots". It's for average users that only care about the standard smartphone experience. It's not for enthusiasts. Calling every IPhone user an idiot just shows how dumb YOU are.

Quote:

Removable Battery.

Get a powerbank. They're cheap enough and occupy basically the same space a spare battery would.

Quote:

Most cell phone manufactures have a great screen. However, somewhere along the way, Samsung decided that a curved screen was a good idea. It’s just a stupid and useless sales gimmick. A flat screen can be easily protected with a case the edges of which extend above the screen. Such a case not only protects the screen but allows one to grip the device without touching the screen.

There are still plenty of phones with flat screens. I personally like the curve. It's a subjective matter. Just buy a different phone that suits your taste.

Quote:

Most of the cameras on today’s higher end phones are great and they need to be. I’d like to see more optical magnification.

Sure thing. Would you like a giant, thick, ugly as all hell sensor to go with that?

Quote:

IR Blaster/FM Radio.

These are two features I really miss on phones. I love not having to search for my TV’s remote control. This was a great feature now missing on almost all phones. I guess if Apple doesn’t have it, then no one needs it.

Apple never had it in the first place (at least the IR blaster) so your reasoning why it was removed is pretty silly. You can buy a universal remote for 3$. As for FM radio, again, a ton of devices still have it. Just buy something that suits you.

Good grief.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -Ric- For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift -Ric- Ad-Free
13th September 2019, 11:25 AM |#10  
Flag Zagreb
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Guys, calm down, man expresses his opinion here, it's not illegal
What worries me about Samsung, Samsung should work on a larger battery.
Flagships have smaller batteries, and are mid-priced have larger batteries, the battery on the N10 needed to be bigger (e.g. 4000mAh).
The Following User Says Thank You to zujko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zujko Ad-Free
13th September 2019, 01:16 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
IMO IR-blaster is worthless on a touch device. I want physical buttons I can find and press without having to look at the remote, so good riddance to this feature.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunde For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gunde Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
3.5mm, battery, jack, removable

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)