FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Photo quality

812 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,711

By XDA_RealLifeReview, RealLifeReview Dude on 8th July 2019, 07:28 PM | Average Rating:
Post Reply Email Thread
Say "cheese", then rate this thread to express how photos taken with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 come out. A higher rating indicates that photos offer rich color (without over-saturating), sharp detail (with all subjects in-focus), and appropriate exposure (with even lighting).

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

24th August 2019, 02:58 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Did Samsung improve the shutter speed on Note10+?? When I had the S10+ the still photos looked great, however it was hard to get a picture of my daughter(18mo old) that didn't look blurry
25th August 2019, 05:44 PM |#3  
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 136

More
I spent a couple of days doing camera comparisons with my Pixel 3 XL, which I sent back on Friday (got my Note 10 on Wednesday). I found that I personally like the photos in daylight better from the Note 10, as they look just a bit more "punchy" and clear to me, but that's Samsung applying a deeper saturation and more sharpening. YMMV on that. Early reviews I read online said that it was on par with the Pixel 3 in daylight, but quickly fell apart in low light. I'm happy to report that wasn't my experience at all. Night mode works great, and while it would be nice to have an indicator of how long to hold it, it seems to be just as fast at the Pixel 3. The Pixel 3 did beat it out just a bit with clarity, but not by a very wide margin. I did some blind comparison test between shots from the Note 10 and the Pixel 3 XL with my girlfriend (who has a Pixel 3 XL of her own), and 9 of the 11 shots she picked were the Note 10 shots over the Pixel 3. She prefered the Pixel 3's selfie shot and it's Night Sight shot, but she said she really couldn't tell much of a difference in them.

Aside from quality, I like different Live Focus backgrounds, and being able to swipe up from a corner on the lockscreen to get to the camera is a huge plus for me. It's much faster for me to go from pocket to shot now. I'm going to a convention this weekend, so I expect to get some good use out of the triple cameras too. All in all, I'm beyond happy with the Note 10 camera, and coming from the Pixel 3 XL, I was very concerned, as that was hands down the best camera on a phone I'd ever used. The Note 10 isn't leaps and bounds better, but it is better, in my opinion.
25th August 2019, 11:46 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 227

More
As much as I like Note 10, camera is crap compared to Pixel 3. I've been shooting all day and most images are near useless if subject is moving, automatic in anything less then ideal conditions is also terrible, and can only be improved with Pro mode. Faces are too white and details are all washed out. I had exactly the same results with S10 that I returned
I am not sure what Samsung is thinking. Big company and great hardware, $1000 phone, yet software is not good and photos are behind even Pixel 1

Ps. I am leaning towards keeping the phone anyway and will give Gcam a try
The Following User Says Thank You to kolyan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kolyan Ad-Free
26th August 2019, 03:52 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Note 10+ Night Camera is really crap compared to the Pixel phone.... Ugh... Samsung again with their bs
26th August 2019, 01:01 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGST20

Did Samsung improve the shutter speed on Note10+?? When I had the S10+ the still photos looked great, however it was hard to get a picture of my daughter(18mo old) that didn't look blurry

No they haven't. I had a good hands on with the device at their stores and took my kids to just specially test this out.

I sold my S10 plus for this very reason and unfortunately in the Note note 10, they still haven't sorted it out. I had a Galaxy Note 8 and that was the last Samsung without this issue. I think it's something to do with the dual aperture.

Installing Gcam seems to help a lot but I have Exynos chip and doesn't get ported very well.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZayaanAhyaan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ZayaanAhyaan Ad-Free
26th August 2019, 05:18 PM |#7  

More
You have to use Pro mode in order to get anything useful with moving subject. Or Gcam maybe, I haven't tried yet
2nd September 2019, 01:56 AM |#8  

More
Daylight shots are very good though, I would say even better then Pixel
3rd September 2019, 07:31 PM |#9  
Flag Araraquara, SP, BR
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZayaanAhyaan

No they haven't. I had a good hands on with the device at their stores and took my kids to just specially test this out.

I sold my S10 plus for this very reason and unfortunately in the Note note 10, they still haven't sorted it out. I had a Galaxy Note 8 and that was the last Samsung without this issue. I think it's something to do with the dual aperture.

Installing Gcam seems to help a lot but I have Exynos chip and doesn't get ported very well.

Same thing here with my wife's S10e. Since my S7 I hate this. Nowadays I have an iPhone Xr and this is not a problem, fortunately... But I'd like to go back to Android again... Maybe with Pixel 4...
Using pro mode on S10e I've got a nice result setting the shutter speed at least at 1/250. But you lose performance on HDR... So it's like a short sheet... You cover something and uncover other...
The Following User Says Thank You to fjesuino For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fjesuino Ad-Free
3rd September 2019, 08:00 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
That's another mess, the pro mode.
On my note 8, i chose to keep a fast shutter speed and my preferred white balance with iso as a shortcut on home screen. This way it allowed me to directly jump into 3 of my preferred pro mode setting directly without fiddling and adjusting, but as always, Samsung had to take a damn step back and removed this shortcut starting from note 9.
5th September 2019, 08:58 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 213

More
Hmmmnnn. I had a note 8, and all the others besides the 9. Any of them, like any other cameras I have used(cameras and camcorders), with the faster shutter speeds, I always use manual(or as Samsung likes to call pro). I guess most of my subjects when I learned were really fast(rc helicopters doing aerobatics and saltwater reef tanks), so the old rule of 'learn manual shooting first and don't rely on auto' saved me.

Neither of those environments are ideal, and i learned to just 'make' the cameras work for me. It's not a fault of the devices, it's just the honest inherent nature of auto mode.. I also love macro photography, so that is another realm in which manual knowledge is key..

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)