[ROM][4.4.2][Dec-2014] AT&T I317-UCUCNJ1/MJ4 *Stock* Odex & Deodex

Search This thread
First release (2014/12/14): Stock & Rooted Android 4.4.2 packages for the AT&T i317 Note 2 (firmware version UCUCNJ1) in Odin and recovery flashable formats.
Second release (2014/12/28): Rooted/Deodexed version of same, with restoration of SELinux file context security info, (eliminates issues when returning from custom kernels).

These are options flashable from custom recovery (CWM, TWRP) or via Odin. They are built from the Nov 2014 stock OTA for the AT&T I317.

** They do not include bootloader or tz files (you have the option to flash these later if desired) **

** IF YOU ARE ALREADY ON THE MK6, NE5, or NJ1 BOOTLOADER (OR ABOVE) FLASHING ANY OF THESE PACKAGES WILL TRIP THE KNOX FLAG **

These packages are intended only for the AT&T version of the Note 2 and include the modem for this phone. Flashing on any other North American Note 2 will result in a soft brick and require a re-flash of the modem specific to your phone. Flashing on any other phone will likely require a complete reflash of your phone's stock firmware to recover - do not attempt. The other standard disclaimers apply - while these packages have been tested and work on the AT&T i317, you assume all risk in flashing.

All stock firmware packages include the system firmware, kernel, and modem from UCUCNJ1. The rooted versions include Linus Yang's build of busybox. The rooted Odin package includes a a slightly customized kernel (I added init.d support for some cleanup scripts that were needed). The full packages do not include recovery, bootloader or tz (you install the last two separately via Odin if needed).

The stock packages do not include root access - you will need to flash SuperSU separately if you use these packages.

Install instructions:
For Odin packages a format of /system from custom recovery is strongly recommended prior to flashing. (The CWM/TWRP packages will do this for you). If you are coming from another stock-based i317 firmware data/factory wipe should not be necessary. If coming from any other firmware (or if after flashing you get stuck at the Samsung or AT&T boot logo) data/factory wipe is recommended from recovery. Make any needed app and SD card backups beforehand.

**NOTE** Odin ZIP packages should be unzipped ONCE. The extracted MD5 file should be placed in the PDA slot in the Odin app. Do not change any other options. If the phone shows up on top as COMn and the MD5 checks out OK in the status window, you are good to click Start. **

1 - Download the package(s) you plan to install.
2 - Copy any CWM/TWRP packages and SuperSU (if needed) to your phone (external SD card recommended if you need to do a factory reset)
3 - Install a current custom recovery - I've been using Philz CWM v6.48.4, but current TWRP or standard CWM should also be fine
4 - Boot recovery, perform needed wipes (see first section under install)
5 - Flash package (Odin or CWM/TWRP)
6 - (Stock packages) Boot phone once, click past any setup screens, let settle for a few minutes
7 - (Stock packages) Boot recovery, flash SuperSU
8 - Boot phone, (click past setup screens), run SuperSU, disable Knox - SuperSU will hang - wait a minute, restart phone
9 - After restart, run SuperSU again, disable Knox again, this time it will take
10 - profit

Packages (hosted on Android Filehost)

AT&T UCUCNJ1 i317 Stock CWM/TWRP Note 2 --- AFH

AT&T UCUCNJ1 i317 Stock ODIN Note 2 --- AFH

AT&T UCUCNJ1 i317 Rooted CWM/TWRP Note 2 --- AFH

AT&T UCUCNJ1 i317 Rooted ODIN Note 2 --- AFH

AT&T UCUCNJ1 i317 *Deodexed* *Rooted* CWM/TWRP Note 2 --- AFH

If you *are not* running 4.3 (MK6), 4.4.2 (NE5, NJ1) or newer bootloader:
After flashing one of the firmware packages above flash the bootloader package below in Odin to get wifi working (sorry, no option available for CWM/TWRP). I've included the Odin executable just after if needed.
Bootloader needs to be flashed only once. See post #2 here for information on how to check what version of bootloader you have installed.

** Warning - do not attempt to flash MJ4 bootloaders if you already have the MK6, NE5, or NJ1 bootloaders - this will soft brick your phone - see post #2 in my MK6 thread for more **

AT&T i317 ODIN 4.3 UCUBMJ4 (Leak) Bootloader & TZ (AT&T Note 2 ONLY) --- AFH

If you *are* running 4.3 (MK6) or 4.4.2 (NE5 or NJ1) bootloader:

]After flashing one of the full packages, you may need to flash the NJ1 tz.img and optionally the param.bin (from the MJ4 leak). The param.bin is sometimes needed if you are on one of these bootloaders and have previously reverted to 4.1 firmware. The zips below contain Odin packages for NJ1 TZ with and without PARAM. If after flashing the stock package and you are on one of these bootloaders, try flashing the tz only package first (in Odin), then the tz+param package to see if this gets your phone to boot. You may also need to boot recovery and do a factory reset.

I've also included a final option which adds the NJ1 bootloader if you want to upgrade and lock your phone into this version. If you are on MK6 or NE5 (or lower) bootloader you can optionally flash the bootloader package. You will not be able to revert to an earlier bootloader version once you do this. Do not attempt if you are already on the NJ1 bootloader - you will soft brick your phone and need to flash something else in Odin to clear the brick. (I recommend something small, like a recovery, or one of the TZ only packages here if they match what you have on your phone). If you flash the bootloader package you can safely flash the file containing the param.bin afterward if need be.

AT&T i317 ODIN 4.4.2 UCUCNJ1 TZ.IMG (AT&T Note 2 ONLY) --- AFH
AT&T i317 ODIN 4.4.2 UCUCNJ1 TZ.IMG & UCUBMJ4 (Leak) PARAM.BIN (AT&T Note 2 ONLY) --- AFH
AT&T i317 ODIN 4.4.2 UCUCNJ1 SBOOT.BIN, UCUCNJ1 TZ.IMG (AT&T Note 2 ONLY) --- AFH

Need Odin ? --> Odin 3.07 --- AFH

Here are separate links to the ucucnj1 modem, stock kernel & stock recovery (modem and kernel are included in the main packages above, no need to reflash these a part of base install).

CWM/TWRP AT&T i317 UCUCNJ1 Stock *Modem* Note 2 --- AFH
CWM/TWRP AT&T i317 UCUCNJ1 Stock *Kernel* Note 2 --- AFH (Caution - SELinux Enforcing)
CWM/TWRP AT&T i317 UCU Stock *Recovery* Note 2 --- AFH
CWM/TWRP UCUCNJ1 Stock *Kernel* Custom - init.d & bootanimation support --- AFH

Here are links to custom recoveries specific to the I317 (AT&T Note 2):

PhilZ Advanced CWM Edition
TWRP Recovery

• Thanks to Chainfire for SuperSu - we wouldn't have root access on 4.3 and above without his work (consider donating to him or buying his pro version)
• Thanks to designgears for the initial 4.3 leak, which gave us the 4.3 bootloader/tz allowing revert to earlier bootloaders
• Thanks to Linus Yang for the busybox build
• Thanks to @dicksteele for help testing the "return to stock kernel" restoration processes

Last edited:
Release Notes - 2014-12-14

* For those running the MJ4 bootloader: Same issue exists as with NE5 - cannot charge with the phone powered off. It will turn on. One improvement: Modem no longer appears to get borked on boot in this situation. The solution to this issue is to update to a current (locked) bootloader - so you have to decide what's more important, ability to revert, or powered off charging.
* The rooted Odin package includes a modified version of the custom kernel which runs init.d scripts immediately. The version of the custom kernel available in the OP waits for AOS to start before running scripts. The version in the rooted Odin package is only needed for the first boot, so feel free to replace with the either kernel version available in the OP or other custom kernel versions that may be available once the phone has booted at least once.
* If you are running stock or rooted MK6 or NE5 you should be able to flash any of these with no need for a factory reset or data wipe and keep your configs. Same may hold true for earlier stock releases - I have not tested. (As noted in the OP when coming from a non-I317-stock config more aggressive wipes of data/cache/factory reset may be required.

Last edited:

TayzGpa

Aug 23, 2010
Used the Rooted Odin method. Been running for about 48 hours now. Everything is working great!
Thanks so much. Great job!

esprit1st

May 23, 2011
Portland, OR
Hi Zen,

first if all: thanks for your great work! You rule! And of course Chainfire, designgears and Linus Yang as well.

One question: I am on your previous stock rooted NE5 with TWRP. Do I need to flash the whole thing or can I just flash the NJ1 modem provided here? Does it make a difference anyways?

Again: thanks so much and keep up the great work!
Esprit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forum Fiend v1.2.12.

One question: I am on your previous stock rooted NE5 with TWRP. Do I need to flash the whole thing or can I just flash the NJ1 modem provided here? Does it make a difference anyways?
The new NJ1 modem will work with the NE5 system firmware if that's all you want. The NJ1 system firmware is primarily a security update with a few minor enhancements. As stock releases go I'd rate it an improvement.

fwiw, I'm running NJ1 across the board with the custom kernel - there's an app in the Play store called Boot Box which presents a bunch of boot animations sized correctly for the Note 2, when you want to customize just that one thing.. :)

TayzGpa

Aug 23, 2010
Looking Good!

Have been running release 1 for however long it has been out. Runs like a champ.
I would like to try the deodexed version when it is released.
Will I be able to flash that over the odexed version, or will I need to wipe the phone again?

Have been running release 1 for however long it has been out. Runs like a champ.
I would like to try the deodexed version when it is released.
Will I be able to flash that over the odexed version, or will I need to wipe the phone again?

Yes.. Any of the cwm/twrp flashable packages will wipe system first. There is no need to wipe anything else if you are already on stock firmware like NJ1.

rampaadh

Oct 3, 2013
Texas
Can I put latest agni kernel ? If I want to install stock kernel later what s the procedure?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Free mobile app

Can I put latest agni kernel ? If I want to install stock kernel later what s the procedure?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Free mobile app

With NE5 there were issues going from the Agni kernel back to the stock kernel. Phone soft bricked. Recovery required a full nandroid restore. I didn't sort out the root cause.

I expect the same for NJ1 - will be able to confirm once I test, probably this weekend.

esprit1st

May 23, 2011
Portland, OR
Hi Zen,

I just installed the TWRP, rooted and something happened. After the phone started I get thousands of "unfortunately the process ... has stopped" which is mostly android.process.acore, LogsProvider and S Suggest. But others too.

Do you have an idea what to do? restarted a few times and clicked through all of them. Seriously hundreds. At some point I get to the lock screen. But as soon as I unlock I get a lot of these messages again. Clicking through them for a few minutes lets me end up at the lock screen again.

Thanks for your input.

(Since I am not a super-flashing-pro please be a little more detailed with what to do, like a short step-by-step. Thanks so much!!)

Hi Zen,

I just installed the TWRP, rooted and something happened. After the phone started I get thousands of "unfortunately the process ... has stopped" which is mostly android.process.acore, LogsProvider and S Suggest. But others too.
Please provide some detail around your config beforehand, whether it was working OK, and then specific things you did that led to the issue.

Also - Which method did you use to get to NJ1? What wipes did you perform beforehand? What did you flash beyond the base package?

A quick way out of this may be to flash the rooted cwm package. You'll need to copy this to your sd card and flash from twrp.

esprit1st

May 23, 2011
Portland, OR
Hi Zen,

I was on your NE5 rooted deodexed version from earlier this year before and everything was running fine.

I downloaded the rooted Twrp version here on the phone and used flashify and twrp.

The process seemed working good. No errors or anything. After the reboot I have the above described "problem". I just saw the agni discussion. I think your former package had the Agni in it? Has that something to do with it? Can I go back to that one first to fix it?

No additional packages, not even before I flashed this one. And no wipes either.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First release (2014/12/14): Stock & Rooted Android 4.4.2 packages for the AT&T i317 Note 2 (firmware version UCUCNJ1) in Odin and recovery flashable formats.
    Second release (2014/12/28): Rooted/Deodexed version of same, with restoration of SELinux file context security info, (eliminates issues when returning from custom kernels).

These are options flashable from custom recovery (CWM, TWRP) or via Odin. They are built from the Nov 2014 stock OTA for the AT&T I317.

** They do not include bootloader or tz files (you have the option to flash these later if desired) **

** IF YOU ARE ALREADY ON THE MK6, NE5, or NJ1 BOOTLOADER (OR ABOVE) FLASHING ANY OF THESE PACKAGES WILL TRIP THE KNOX FLAG **

These packages are intended only for the AT&T version of the Note 2 and include the modem for this phone. Flashing on any other North American Note 2 will result in a soft brick and require a re-flash of the modem specific to your phone. Flashing on any other phone will likely require a complete reflash of your phone's stock firmware to recover - do not attempt. The other standard disclaimers apply - while these packages have been tested and work on the AT&T i317, you assume all risk in flashing.

All stock firmware packages include the system firmware, kernel, and modem from UCUCNJ1. The rooted versions include Linus Yang's build of busybox. The rooted Odin package includes a a slightly customized kernel (I added init.d support for some cleanup scripts that were needed). The full packages do not include recovery, bootloader or tz (you install the last two separately via Odin if needed).

The stock packages do not include root access - you will need to flash SuperSU separately if you use these packages.

Install instructions:
    For Odin packages a format of /system from custom recovery is strongly recommended prior to flashing. (The CWM/TWRP packages will do this for you). If you are coming from another stock-based i317 firmware data/factory wipe should not be necessary. If coming from any other firmware (or if after flashing you get stuck at the Samsung or AT&T boot logo) data/factory wipe is recommended from recovery. Make any needed app and SD card backups beforehand.

**NOTE** Odin ZIP packages should be unzipped ONCE. The extracted MD5 file should be placed in the PDA slot in the Odin app. Do not change any other options. If the phone shows up on top as COMn and the MD5 checks out OK in the status window, you are good to click Start. **

1 - Download the package(s) you plan to install.
    2 - Copy any CWM/TWRP packages and SuperSU (if needed) to your phone (external SD card recommended if you need to do a factory reset)
    3 - Install a current custom recovery - I've been using Philz CWM v6.48.4, but current TWRP or standard CWM should also be fine
    4 - Boot recovery, perform needed wipes (see first section under install)
    5 - Flash package (Odin or CWM/TWRP)
    6 - (Stock packages) Boot phone once, click past any setup screens, let settle for a few minutes
    7 - (Stock packages) Boot recovery, flash SuperSU
    8 - Boot phone, (click past setup screens), run SuperSU, disable Knox - SuperSU will hang - wait a minute, restart phone
    9 - After restart, run SuperSU again, disable Knox again, this time it will take
    10 - profit

Packages (hosted on Android Filehost)

AT&T UCUCNJ1 i317 Stock CWM/TWRP Note 2 --- AFH

AT&T UCUCNJ1 i317 Stock ODIN Note 2 --- AFH

AT&T UCUCNJ1 i317 Rooted CWM/TWRP Note 2 --- AFH

AT&T UCUCNJ1 i317 Rooted ODIN Note 2 --- AFH

AT&T UCUCNJ1 i317 *Deodexed* *Rooted* CWM/TWRP Note 2 --- AFH

If you *are not* running 4.3 (MK6), 4.4.2 (NE5, NJ1) or newer bootloader:
    After flashing one of the firmware packages above flash the bootloader package below in Odin to get wifi working (sorry, no option available for CWM/TWRP). I've included the Odin executable just after if needed.
    Bootloader needs to be flashed only once. See post #2 here for information on how to check what version of bootloader you have installed.

** Warning - do not attempt to flash MJ4 bootloaders if you already have the MK6, NE5, or NJ1 bootloaders - this will soft brick your phone - see post #2 in my MK6 thread for more **

AT&T i317 ODIN 4.3 UCUBMJ4 (Leak) Bootloader & TZ (AT&T Note 2 ONLY) --- AFH

If you *are* running 4.3 (MK6) or 4.4.2 (NE5 or NJ1) bootloader:

]After flashing one of the full packages, you may need to flash the NJ1 tz.img and optionally the param.bin (from the MJ4 leak). The param.bin is sometimes needed if you are on one of these bootloaders and have previously reverted to 4.1 firmware. The zips below contain Odin packages for NJ1 TZ with and without PARAM. If after flashing the stock package and you are on one of these bootloaders, try flashing the tz only package first (in Odin), then the tz+param package to see if this gets your phone to boot. You may also need to boot recovery and do a factory reset.

I've also included a final option which adds the NJ1 bootloader if you want to upgrade and lock your phone into this version. If you are on MK6 or NE5 (or lower) bootloader you can optionally flash the bootloader package. You will not be able to revert to an earlier bootloader version once you do this. Do not attempt if you are already on the NJ1 bootloader - you will soft brick your phone and need to flash something else in Odin to clear the brick. (I recommend something small, like a recovery, or one of the TZ only packages here if they match what you have on your phone). If you flash the bootloader package you can safely flash the file containing the param.bin afterward if need be.

AT&T i317 ODIN 4.4.2 UCUCNJ1 TZ.IMG (AT&T Note 2 ONLY) --- AFH
    AT&T i317 ODIN 4.4.2 UCUCNJ1 TZ.IMG & UCUBMJ4 (Leak) PARAM.BIN (AT&T Note 2 ONLY) --- AFH
    AT&T i317 ODIN 4.4.2 UCUCNJ1 SBOOT.BIN, UCUCNJ1 TZ.IMG (AT&T Note 2 ONLY) --- AFH

Need Odin ? --> Odin 3.07 --- AFH

Here are separate links to the ucucnj1 modem, stock kernel & stock recovery (modem and kernel are included in the main packages above, no need to reflash these a part of base install).

CWM/TWRP AT&T i317 UCUCNJ1 Stock *Modem* Note 2 --- AFH
    CWM/TWRP AT&T i317 UCUCNJ1 Stock *Kernel* Note 2 --- AFH (Caution - SELinux Enforcing)
    CWM/TWRP AT&T i317 UCU Stock *Recovery* Note 2 --- AFH
    CWM/TWRP UCUCNJ1 Stock *Kernel* Custom - init.d & bootanimation support --- AFH

Here are links to custom recoveries specific to the I317 (AT&T Note 2):

PhilZ Advanced CWM Edition
    TWRP Recovery

• Thanks to Chainfire for SuperSu - we wouldn't have root access on 4.3 and above without his work (consider donating to him or buying his pro version)
    • Thanks to designgears for the initial 4.3 leak, which gave us the 4.3 bootloader/tz allowing revert to earlier bootloaders
    • Thanks to Linus Yang for the busybox build
    • Thanks to @dicksteele for help testing the "return to stock kernel" restoration processes
    Release Notes - 2014-12-14

* For those running the MJ4 bootloader: Same issue exists as with NE5 - cannot charge with the phone powered off. It will turn on. One improvement: Modem no longer appears to get borked on boot in this situation. The solution to this issue is to update to a current (locked) bootloader - so you have to decide what's more important, ability to revert, or powered off charging.
    * The rooted Odin package includes a modified version of the custom kernel which runs init.d scripts immediately. The version of the custom kernel available in the OP waits for AOS to start before running scripts. The version in the rooted Odin package is only needed for the first boot, so feel free to replace with the either kernel version available in the OP or other custom kernel versions that may be available once the phone has booted at least once.
    * If you are running stock or rooted MK6 or NE5 you should be able to flash any of these with no need for a factory reset or data wipe and keep your configs. Same may hold true for earlier stock releases - I have not tested. (As noted in the OP when coming from a non-I317-stock config more aggressive wipes of data/cache/factory reset may be required.
    The new NJ1 modem will work with the NE5 system firmware if that's all you want. The NJ1 system firmware is primarily a security update with a few minor enhancements. As stock releases go I'd rate it an improvement.

fwiw, I'm running NJ1 across the board with the custom kernel - there's an app in the Play store called Boot Box which presents a bunch of boot animations sized correctly for the Note 2, when you want to customize just that one thing.. :)
    I was hoping Sammy and ATT would release an update that fixes all the stagefright issues but it looks like the N2 is not getting the love. I have the NJ2 packages close to done and will publish them if nothing newer shows up soon.