sim unlock note 2 att (i317) any firmware (4.1.2-newer) w/o data loss

Search This thread

tophkr

Oct 11, 2010
when updating past 4.3 you aquire the updated bootloader and can no longer "safely" downgrade to 4.1.1 to unlock this phone. however if you:

1) Root the phone and allow SU to disable knox
2) Install custom recovery (TWRP, CWM, OR OTHER)
3) Boot into recovery and flash the atti317ucalj2modemfixed.zip modem
4) After reboot you can use this method to unlock:

(From this thread http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2014982)

Just dial the following keys *#197328640#

Main Menu > [1] UMTS > [1] Debug Screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] Network Lock > Options [3]Perso SHA256 OFF > (after choosing this option, wait about 30 seconds, then go back one step by pressing the Menu button then select Back, now you are in [6] Network Lock then choose [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ..... wait for a minute then reboot your phone... enjoy your unlocked phone!!!

5) Reboot recovery and flash the newest modem I317_ucucne5_modem.zip
6) Reboot again and enjoy your fully unlocked 4.4 note 2 att with out losing your data or bricking your phone :D

************* non at&t notes try using earlier versions of your own stock modems then updating after unlocking ************ @umaza has infomed me this method Seems to have worked for 4.4.2 i317m Koodo, just downgrade to the Rogers Modem,
Go here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1987541) , go to Section 3, and go to Rogers, and get "I317MVLALJ2....uploaded by DAGr8 (Direct Link)"

tophkr (Jason Steedley)

Attachments

• atti317ucalj2modemfixed.zip
    19.4 MB · Views: 7,005
  • I317_ucucne5_modem.zip
    19 MB · Views: 5,358
  • openrecovery-twrp-2.8.1.0-t0lteatt.img.tar
    7.3 MB · Views: 2,505
Last edited:

Freshenstein

Dec 9, 2013
With all due respect to OP and his lack of posts (like I have room to talk, right? ) can anyone else verify this as working before I attempt this? I need to unlock my phone and would rather do this than flash 4.1.1 (and trip Knox) and then reflash to a 4.4.2 ROM.

when updating past 4.3 you aquire the updated bootloader and can no longer "safely" downgrade to 4.1.1 to unlock this phone. however if you:

Main Menu > [1] UMTS > [1] Debug Screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] Network Lock > Options [3]Perso SHA256 OFF > (after choosing this option, wait about 30 seconds, then go back one step by pressing the Menu button then select Back, now you are in [6] Network Lock then choose [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ..... wait for a minute then reboot your phone... enjoy your unlocked phone!!!

6) Reboot again and enjoy your fully unlocked 4.4 note 2 att with out losing your data or bricking your phone :D

tophkr (Jason Steedley)

tophkr

Oct 11, 2010
this method has now been tested personally on many att note 2's

With all due respect to OP and his lack of posts (like I have room to talk, right? ) can anyone else verify this as working before I attempt this? I need to unlock my phone and would rather do this than flash 4.1.1 (and trip Knox) and then reflash to a 4.4.2 ROM.

i hope others will try this and post their progress, but just as a personal reference in my repair/modification store i have now successfully unlocked 16 note 2's that i have bought and customer's phones. hope this information helps.

jbach44

Jan 23, 2009
ok that didnt work for me i get an error, nothing happens til I hit send on the dialpad, then I get this connection problem or invalid MMI code

tophkr

Oct 11, 2010
The information helped a lot when the other guy figured it out and posted it a year ago.

the other posted method works for previous software, the method has to be tweaked to work on 4.1.2 and above. im guessing people arn't reading that part of the post just assuming this is the same unlock method that use to work with out flashing the modem. they removed the #4 prompt in network lock on the newer modems so you cant manually unlock them.

tophkr

Oct 11, 2010
ok that didnt work for me i get an error, nothing happens til I hit send on the dialpad, then I get this connection problem or invalid MMI code

send me your model, current version, baseband etc and i will help you figure it out. you shouldn't hit send in the dialpad to access the hidden menus. apon hitting the last # it directly loads the hidden menu.

jbach44

Jan 23, 2009
I'm running an AT&T Note 2 (SGH-I317) running Ditto Rom 3 v2, baseband I317ucucne5

jedisurfer

Mar 16, 2013
Hi I bought an att note 2 with 4.4.2 will this method work.

baseband
i317ucucnj1

kernel
3.0.31-1728680

build
kot49h.i317ucucnj1

umaza

Jan 29, 2013
I am going to try this on my i317m (Koodo) Dn3 Rom, will post results soon

Edit:
Didn't work, when I put numbers on dialpad, it doesn't go right away, I then press the call button and it says "Mobile network not available"
Should I try going back to Stock Rom, then trying it? Will it stay Unlocked if I restore a previous EFS?

Edit2:
Went back to stock 4.4.2 Koodo, and did the following, but when I put numbers on dialpad, it goes through but everything is blank, like there is no menu to choose from

Last edited:

tophkr

Oct 11, 2010
Did you downgrade the modem/baseband first before using the dial pad? This menu is only accessible in the older one. Also I'm not sure of the compatibility of the modem with a phone other than the I317 att. Other variants probably have a different modem and you'll have to find an older version of yours to flash then flash back to current.

Reactions: umaza

umaza

Jan 29, 2013
Did you downgrade the modem/baseband first before using the dial pad? This menu is only accessible in the older one. Also I'm not sure of the compatibility of the modem with a phone other than the I317 att. Other variants probably have a different modem and you'll have to find an older version of yours to flash then flash back to current.

Yes, I downgraded to the one you have provided, and surprisingly it was not accessible, but on my stock modem, the menu is accessible but doesn't work.
That was also my thought, time to modem hunt!

umaza

Jan 29, 2013

Seems to have worked for 4.4.2 i317m Koodo, just downgrade to the Rogers Modem,
Go here, go to Section 3, and go to Rogers, and get "I317MVLALJ2....uploaded by DAGr8 (Direct Link)"

Thanks @tophkr, @Bajanman, and @DAGr8

note2root

Oct 16, 2014
Will this work on any of the custom lollipop ROMs for the Canadian version note 2?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

************* non at&t notes try using earlier versions of your own stock modems then updating after unlocking ************ @umaza has infomed me this method Seems to have worked for 4.4.2 i317m Koodo, just downgrade to the Rogers Modem,
    Go here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1987541) , go to Section 3, and go to Rogers, and get "I317MVLALJ2....uploaded by DAGr8 (Direct Link)"

tophkr (Jason Steedley)
    Thanks! It worked perfectly on 4.1.2 to 4.3 DN3 ROM. ?
    works

I just tried this on my note 2 with 4.4.2 and it worked perfectly. Thank you.
    Seems to have worked for 4.4.2 i317m Koodo, just downgrade to the Rogers Modem,
    Go here, go to Section 3, and go to Rogers, and get "I317MVLALJ2....uploaded by DAGr8 (Direct Link)"

Thanks @tophkr, @Bajanman, and @DAGr8

i'm glad you found a working modem that is compatible with your device and the process still works.