[GUIDE] How to install Android Marshmallow on Galaxy Note 2

Search This thread

takhini

Dec 7, 2016
Newbie is stuck - putting Marshmallow on a Galaxy note 2

UPDATE:
My Galaxy Note II Currently has no OS installed, but I am now able to see the SD card so I proceeded to attempt to install the Resurection Remix v5.6.4 - 20160227-t0lte.zip.

It failed. the error message I get is "Can't install this package on top of incompatible data. Please try another package or run a factory reset.
E:Error executing updater binary" and it goes on to name the above zip file.

Can anyone suggest another package? Please keep in mind that I don't have access now to Odin on my laptop. I'm working strictly from TWRP with whatever files I might be able to put on a micro SD card. Oh and it's a Canadian phone: model SGH-I317M

Original post:
I'm following the instructions on this page: (hypertext tag removed cause I can't post links yet) ://highonandroid.com/android-howtos/how-to-install-android-6-0-marshmallow-rom-using-twrp-failproof-method/

I have put the required two files in the root directory of a micro SD card (ResurrectionRemix-M-v5.6.4-20160227-t0lte.zip and BaNkS-Dynamic-GApps-6.x.x-10-20-15.zip) and installed it in the phone, but I don't know how to tell TWRP to find (mount?) the card. I don't know enough Linux, I think.

Any pointers to a site that will explain how to do this will be appreciated.

Last edited:

ArcheRazor

Jun 17, 2016
Brisbane
UPDATE:
My Galaxy Note II Currently has no OS installed...

Random!y saw your post and would think the first line is your problem. Have only had minor modding experience, but in the past, I have always needed to preload the stock ROM before trying to load anything else. Although that may be for other reasons on the galaxy tab I have, like Samsung locking kernel, bootloader, ect. Am assuming you either don't have the necessary core arch files to run the device, or the ones you have are incompatible with the version of Android you are trying to load.

So basically, AFAIK, if you are trying to load a mod based on marshmallow architecture, u need to preload stock 6.x first. Can then jump between mods after that, only if they are mm. if u then want something like slimkat, based off of KitKat, u would then have to preload stock 4.x, then the mod. Not sure if you have to go as far as preloading the actual version (6.0.1 vs 6.0.2), or if just 6.x is fine.

Would love to know if this is all true, or if I am misunderstanding something.

-Good Game Player Killer

Last edited:

takhini

Dec 7, 2016
Thanks for reply

You were the only one - I clearly must have posted in the wrong forum.

Things have moved on - I tried other ROMs and wound up using Dirty Unicorns. Looking back on it I think the thing that did the trick was using TWRP's 'Factory Reset' option. After that the ROM installed. It's possible that I could have installed Marshmallow at that point, but I was just grateful to have a working phone again so I left it alone.

Gord

Random!y saw your post and would think the first line is your problem. Have only had minor modding experience, but in the past, I have always needed to preload the stock ROM before trying to load anything else. Although that may be for other reasons on the galaxy tab I have, like Samsung locking kernel, bootloader, ect. Am assuming you either don't have the necessary core arch files to run the device, or the ones you have are incompatible with the version of Android you are trying to load.

So basically, AFAIK, if you are trying to load a mod based on marshmallow architecture, u need to preload stock 6.x first. Can then jump between mods after that, only if they are mm. if u then want something like slimkat, based off of KitKat, u would then have to preload stock 4.x, then the mod. Not sure if you have to go as far as preloading the actual version (6.0.1 vs 6.0.2), or if just 6.x is fine.

Would love to know if this is all true, or if I am misunderstanding something.

-Good Game Player Killer

reis1996

UPDATE:
My Galaxy Note II Currently has no OS installed, but I am now able to see the SD card so I proceeded to attempt to install the Resurection Remix v5.6.4 - 20160227-t0lte.zip.

It failed. the error message I get is "Can't install this package on top of incompatible data. Please try another package or run a factory reset.
E:Error executing updater binary" and it goes on to name the above zip file.

Can anyone suggest another package? Please keep in mind that I don't have access now to Odin on my laptop. I'm working strictly from TWRP with whatever files I might be able to put on a micro SD card. Oh and it's a Canadian phone: model SGH-I317M

Original post:
I'm following the instructions on this page: (hypertext tag removed cause I can't post links yet) ://highonandroid.com/android-howtos/how-to-install-android-6-0-marshmallow-rom-using-twrp-failproof-method/

I have put the required two files in the root directory of a micro SD card (ResurrectionRemix-M-v5.6.4-20160227-t0lte.zip and BaNkS-Dynamic-GApps-6.x.x-10-20-15.zip) and installed it in the phone, but I don't know how to tell TWRP to find (mount?) the card. I don't know enough Linux, I think.

Any pointers to a site that will explain how to do this will be appreciated.
Try booting into download mode from twrp. Then access Odin. Multi ROM files might help you just try. Is your system file ticked in mount?
Multi ROM by tilak I mean
But first try this in twrp...1. Enter twrp. 2. Reboot>Download>use odin

Last edited:

joihan777

Feb 2, 2007
Sacramento
Hello, I haven't installed a ROM in 10 years on an old HTC!
I have a Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-I317) with Android 4.4.2_0046
which is AT&T's latest update.
Are the instructions in the OP enough to go from AT&T to Marshmallow?

tarmaklin

Aug 28, 2017
What file? GApps?

I'm a bit confused by this guide. I'm not sure it's really the best starting place for a first time flash.

At the step where it says "now transfer a Marshmallow ROM you like to your phone" - how do I do that? I tried putting it on an SD card, but it's a zip file. Do I unzip it? Is it a specific file. I tried flashing with the zip file on the SD card and it rebooted into the Samsung ROM.

In the first step it says to download GApps. That took most of the night - but then was never used in the guide. What do I do with it??

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
If you have these questions about flashing a custom ROM, it may be better to do some more reading before flashing anything to the phone.

There is always a risk involved in flashing anything to a phone. Things may, can, and/or do go wrong with possibly disastrous results.

Reactions: johnpats7

murtazaalii

Oct 23, 2017
HELLO THERE,
which Marshmallow ROM is there for Samsung NTT Docomo Note 2 (SC-02e)??? i need it for update my Docomo to 6.0.1 marshmallow.

johnpats7

Dec 9, 2017
hi.
i m trying to flash marshmallow rom into my note 2(n7100).I downloaded the twrp file you mentioned (second blue choice) and flashed with odin(right steps).Next,I tried to enter into recovery mode but i see only the samsung recovery options and not the twrp options.Which is my fault;

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
If you don't boot into TWRP right after flashing it, the stock recovery will overwrite TWRP.

To install TWRP, open Odin, only check f reset time, flash TWRP. When you see the word "reset" in the Odin status window, remove the USB cable, remove the battery, replace the battery, use buttons to boot into recovery.

Reactions: johnpats7

johnpats7

Dec 9, 2017
If you don't boot into TWRP right after flashing it, the stock recovery will overwrite TWRP.

To install TWRP, open Odin, only check f reset time, flash TWRP. When you see the word "reset" in the Odin status window, remove the USB cable, remove the battery, replace the battery, use buttons to boot into recovery.

thanks a lot for your quick response!!
I succeeded to flash the device!I m very happy because i gave life to my old note!!
I m also facing a lot of reboots and i try to fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Here you will learn, how to upgrade your Note 2 to Android Marshmallow from Stock.

Download:

1. Odin3_v3.10.7.zip
    2. GApps (ARM, 6.0)
    3. Marshmallow ROM
    4. twrp-2.8.7.0-t03g.img.tar
    Instructions for installing TWRP:

1. Reboot you phone into download-mode using Power, Volume-Down and Home-Button.
    2. Now start Odin and connect you phone to your PC.
    Untick Auto-Reboot in Odin:
    attachment.php

Now select the downloaded TWRP at AP:
    attachment.php

Now press on Start and the Flash will beginn. If you see PASSED, TWRP is installed.

Instructions for Installing Marshmallow:

1. Reboot you Note 2 into Recovery using Power, Volume-Up and Home-Button.
    2. If you are in the Recovery, please wipe: data, cache, system and dalvik-cache.
    3. After wiping, please press to Mount and enable MTP:
    4. attachment.php
    Now transfer a Marshmallow ROM you like to your phone and install it.

Disclaimer:

• Your warranty is void!
    • I am not responsible for bricked devices!
    Please put screenshots of your ROM in this thread also
    Please put screenshots of your ROM in this thread also
    Why should I put screenshots here, if this is a guide for installing Marshmallow? You can install any Marshmallow ROM. Check into the development thread.
    Are building twrp 3.0.0 for the note 2? Because your screenshot says so :eek:

Find the one for your model here: https://twrp.me/Devices/
    And convert the .img to .tar from here: [Tool][[windows] Make CWM Recovery .img's into .tar.md5 odin flash-able files 1 CLICK
    Ditto note 4 ROM the best for note2