Galaxy Note 2 crashes during "screen-off" and heavy load.

Search This thread

yoakim

May 12, 2011
Dear Experts,

Long time lurker here.
I'm currently in a dispute with the dealer on whether or not the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 i bought has a hardware or software issue. If it's a hardware issue it can be repaired under warranty. The device is completely stock with no modifications what so ever, as well as no root access. If you can help me provide a sufficient explanation of why it's a hardware related issue, perhaps I do not need to purchase a brand new phone, and hopefully it could help others with similar issues.

The issue arises when the phone is under heavy load and the screen is turned off. This normally seems to happen when the phone has multiple applications running background processes at the same time while updating applications (usually when the device has been left alone for a while). The device will then crash/freeze (i.e. screen will remain off and no response on any buttons). The only way to fix this is to hard reset the phone, by either long hold the power button, or pop out the battery. It will continue to drain power and heat up in this "frozen" state, as if it is still under load, until the battery dies.

The issue will persist after doing factory resets. However, the symptoms will not occur unless it has been used actively for a while (i.e. installing apps, enabling background updates etc.). This makes it harder to replicate the issue. However the symptoms can be seemingly replicated by using Stability Test 2.7 (a stress/burn-in test available on the Play Store), buy running the Classic Stability Test (CPU/RAM) and then turn the screen off for about 20-60sec, where it will crash. The issue will not occur when running heavy loads when the screen is turned on (i.e. when using it).

From my uninformed perspective, I suspect there could be an issue with a memory component of the device, as this only occurs when the screen is turned off. Which would probably mean that (I assume) the "snapshot" of the devices' current state, which the phone saves when turning off the screen, is somehow bugged because of heavy load, and thus crashes the device. Hopefully you could make a better sense of it than me.

Yours sincerely