[GUIDE][AOSP][7.1.2][HLTE][Rev11][11-Mar-18]Resurrection Remix - Rock Stable Setup

Search This thread

svbarbosa

Dec 18, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
During the last few months I have been testing several Nougat rom/kernel/modem/su combinations for the hlte N9005 international.

I created this thread to share my setup, hoping it will help others to save the many hours of research, trial, error and frustration I had before reaching the jackpot.

I have 3 hlte phones at my disposal, two myself and one my wife. All three are running trouble free.

By using my setup you will get:
  • Absolutely no freezes, reboots or FCs
  • Stable root and Safetynet checks ok
  • GPS fast and stable fix - average 5 seconds worst 20 seconds
  • Low battery drain (of course actual drain depends heavily on your apps and usage)
  • Everything works (AFAIK - you tell me what does not)
Keep in mind my main goal is to provide a stable setup. I will do my best to update this thread regularly, but it is very unlikely I will be using the very latest builds available, mainly because before I adopt a new build it must be thoroughly tested.

If you're interested head to the guide in Post #2

Why Resurrection Remix?

RR has, IMHO, the best combination of features and stability. The RR team has been around for a long time without the ups and downs of other roms. For the Note 3 we are in a very fortunate time, with an official build and many unofficial builds to choose from.

Since RR is based on LineageOS, it is available for most devices. It is very likely when we finally retire our Note 3 and move to another flagship, RR will be there for it.

Why Not Oreo?

Well, thread title says it all.

Credits and Thanks:
Special thanks to @tarkzim for the RRN build used in initial setups.

and everyone else I forgot to mention.

>>>>>>> I know - screenshots below are from a previous setup. I will update then sometime in the future. :eek:

Last edited:

svbarbosa

Dec 18, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
Rock Stable Setup
Using Resurrection Remix
Revision 11 - 11-Mar-2018

Phase 1 - Prepare for install

Here I am assuming you have a Windows PC. If not you will need to use google search to adapt my instructions to your available OS/hardware. The PC is only required for this phase.

1 - Samsung USB Driver:

Make sure you have the Samsung USB driver installed in your Windows PC.

If not download and install the latest driver:

- SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.65.0.exe

2 - Odin:

If you do not have Odin, get it here, unpack to any folder and create a shortcut pointing to Odin3 v3.09.exe.

There are newer versions of Odin, but they may have issues with our Note 3. Odin v3.09 is the one to use.

3 - TWRP

New to TWRP? Read this guide: TWRP: the complete guide to using Recovery on Android.

If you do not already have it, install TWRP 3.2.1-0. Download it from https://dl.twrp.me/hlte. More info here.

If you no not have TWRP installed download the .tar file and flash with Odin.

If you have an older version download the .img file and use your current TWRP to flash the image into recovery partition.

4 - Update Bootloader and Modem:

You have to install latest Nordic Countries Bootloader and Modem. I have prepared a "tar.md5" with both.

And yes, modem is not country or region dependent. Rest assured Nordic will work no matter where you are.

Get it from here: N9005_Nordic_XXUGPQB1-Modem_XXSGBQD1-Bootloader.tar.md5

Updating bootloader and modem is a must!
If you don't you may get the "SIM Card not detected" error and GPS fix will be slow or not work at all.

There are many sure ways to flash modem and bootloader so that they "stick". What always works for me is:

- Restart into Recovery (TWRP)
- Select Reboot->Power off
- Turn on directly into download mode by holding Down Arrow+Home+Power at the same time
- Connect phone to PC
- Flash with Odin using the AP slot

Now you should check if update was successful. The best way is to install the app Phone INFO, run it and select the Firmware tab. The correct Bootloader and Baseband (modem) above should be displayed. There is a screenshot in first post.

If the update did not work repeat the steps carefully until it does. You may, as a last resort, after powering off remove the battery, wait for about 30 seconds, reinsert the battery and then turn on directly into download mode.

Thanks to @Hereiwas for the files I have used in previous setups. Check out in his thread Bootloader and Baseband for SM-N9005.

If you need more info on flashing modems and bootloaders also take a look at @jcadduono thread [Direct Download] Latest Bootloaders & Modems.

PHASE 2 - Download the necessary installation files

1 - Resurrection Remix Nougat rom - thanks @vidwhal:

Download from here: RR-N-v5.8.5-20180101-hlte-Official-vidwhal.zip.

Please note that I am not the rom builder or developer. All credits go to @vidwhal and the RR Team.

This is the rom thread: [ROM][HLTE][UNOFFICIAL][OMS]Resurrection Remix N.

Please note this build may not be the latest available. The goal here is to have a stable rom that you will be able to use as a daily driver with no issues for a long time. Only after a lot of testing a new build makes into my setup.

I modified the zip to remove Magisk. This will make it easier to use newer or beta Magisk builds if necessary in the future. Remember Safetynet is a cat and mouse game and changes happen fast.

Special thanks to @tarkzim, who produced the RR builds used in earlier setups. He did a fantastic job of producing a very stable build without a Note 3 device for tests. His builds led me to create this thread.

2 - Magisk v16.0 Official - thanks @topjohnwu):

Magisk Installer: Magisk-v16.0.zip
Magisk Manager: MagiskManager-v5.6.1.apk (optional - you might need it in the future)
Magisk Uninstaller: Magisk-uninstaller-20180222.zip (optional - you might need it in the future)

if you decide to use newer builds do it at your own risk. I strongly recommend to keep these.

3 - Gapps:

Open Gapps Pico: open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20180311.zip

Not much to say here. Open GApps FTW.

Again the above build is the one I tested. Use this for a failproof installation, but feel free to use a newer build. Usually it will not be a problem.

I prefer Pico Gapps so I have the bare minimum as system apps. And I live by the KISS Principle. All other gapps I need are installed as user apps so I am allowed to use Titanium Backup to backup/restore them with data.

If you would rather use another Gapps package just pick the one you want. All packages should work but the Aroma. Aroma does not work in TWRP 3.

4 - Xenial Kernel - thanks @Jairus980:

Xenial Kernel: [Hlte][Xenial-b26x][02.01.18][N7.1-GSM].zip

Kernel thread: [Kernel][Xenial][Hlte].

With Xenial you have some fixes like the correct charging current in lock screen and working Gravity, Linear acceleration and Orientation sensors. Of course there is a lot more under the hood. If you plan to do some kernel tweaking Xenial offers more options.

If you do flash Xenial kernel do not report any bugs in RR thread. To report a bug you must first go back to stock kernel by dirty flashing RR and Magisk. If you are still able to reproduce the bug then you may post it in RR thread.

Even if there is a newer kernel release, you should keep using the build I posted here to have my tested stable setup.

Special thanks to @gj86 for his Synergy Kernel, used in my previous setup. It is also a great option.

5 - GPS Fix:

In this setup there is no need for a GPS fix. GPS is fast and rock stable as it should always have been.

But you really must update your modem to my recommend Nordic QB1 or GPS will be slow or not work at all.

Do not worry about your current location. The modem will work not matter where you are.

Latest RR builds somehow made GPS fix slower. I checked the gps.conf file and it is exactly the same as in previous builds.

I have my own optimized gps.conf, prepared originally for Marshmallow CM13, with a few more adjustments for Nougat.

After installing my gps.conf in latest RR build, gps fix is back to normal, taking only a few seconds.

I prepared a flashable zip to install my gps.conf. It saves existing gps.conf and put mine in its place.

Download it from here: Fix-GPS-for-hlte-la14.1-based-roms-v1.zip.

PHASE 3 - Backup!!

Now it is time to make backups of your current setup.

Use TWRP to make a nandroid backup. You will need it if something goes wrong. If you are paranoid like me make two and save them on your PC hard drive.

If you use Titanium make also a Titanium full backup. Remember that you should never restore system apps or settings. Use Titanium only to restore user apps and xml backups of wifi passwords, call log and sms messages.

The steps to install the new ROM will not erase your internal storage, but why not make a backup of everything to your PC or an OTG USB Drive.

PHASE 4: Install

- Make sure you have updated TWRP and your bootloader and modem as instructed in phase 1
- Make sure you have all files downloaded from phase 2 in your phone - preferably in external sdcard
- Make sure you have backups!!

- Reboot into Recovery (TWRP)
- Use advanced wipe to wipe System, Data and Cache
- Flash RR-N-v5.8.5-20180101-hlte-Official-vidwhal.zip
- DO NOT WIPE ANYTHING
- Reboot System (be patient - it will take a while, around 3-4 minutes)

- Pick your preferred launcher
- Check Settings->Date & Time and make sure it is ok

- Flash [Hlte][Xenial-b26x][02.01.18][N7.1-GSM].zip
- Flash Magisk-v16.0.zip
- Flash open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20180311.zip (or the one you prefer)

- DO NOT WIPE ANYTHING
- Reboot System (this time it will be faster)

- Go to Settings->Accounts and add your google account
- Customize your other settings
- Run Magisk Manager and check if SafetyNet passes
- If not disable/reenable "Magisk Hide" option in Magisk Manager Settings and try again
- Restore/install apps/data
- PROFIT!

Last edited:

tarkzim

Recognized Developer
Feb 11, 2015
Kaohsiung
Sony Xperia Z
HTC One (m7)
wow, nice to see that someone using and "sharing" my builds :)
but a little tip for you, maybe you can ask me first before you post something are modified from me, no offense and i saw that includes my name on it.
just remind you and i think i will keep building this when i'm free, anyway, thank you for posing this. all good.

EDIT: also i think there is no need for removing magisk separately, it's fine for flashing newer magisk over the older one.

Last edited:

svbarbosa

Dec 18, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
but a little tip for you, maybe you can ask me first before you post something are modified from me, no offense and i saw that includes my name on it.
just remind you and i think i will keep building this when i'm free, anyway, thank you for posing this. all good.

EDIT: also i think there is no need for removing magisk separately, it's fine for flashing newer magisk over the older one.

Sorry, you are absolutely right.

Thanks for being cool with it.

The main point in changing the rom zip is removing the magisk manager system app. It is a little tricky for noobs to remove the system app to be able to install the v5 beta Magisk Manager.

And thanks again for making your fantastic RR build available.

Last edited:

sperug

Feb 5, 2010
Rimini
Thank's for your work. I installed all, but then I had a problem. When I try to open settings/apps, it crashes everytime....

BobbyKa

Jul 4, 2017
This might be a silly question: You wrote I should download the latest NORDIC COUNTRY Bootloader and Modem.
Is this also correct if im not living in an other region or should I download the one from my Country? Thanks.

svbarbosa

Dec 18, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
This might be a silly question: You wrote I should download the latest NORDIC COUNTRY Bootloader and Modem.
Is this also correct if im not living in an other region or should I download the one from my Country? Thanks.

AFAIK it should work for you no matter where you are.

I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil and use it.

If it does not work for you just flash another one.

Reactions: nexisnp

BobbyKa

Jul 4, 2017
I tried the Nordic ones and everything seems to work. Not a killer but would be great: is there a way to get SPen functions inclidung Air Command? Thanks for the help.

svbarbosa

Dec 18, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
I tried the Nordic ones and everything seems to work. Not a killer but would be great: is there a way to get SPen functions inclidung Air Command? Thanks for the help.

To use Sammy Spen apps/features you need a Touchwiz based stock rom.

There are some apps with similar features for AOSP roms.

Many users say the best is SPenCommand developed by @emandt. It is paid but users say that the app is well worth the price.

Check the SPenCommand Google+ Comunity.

itsamti

Oct 19, 2007
Lansdale, PA
Great post. I don't see google assistant working, any clue?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Please ignore, I installed nano gapps and it worked

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: svbarbosa

opexblue

Oct 13, 2010
Manado - Indonesia
I have followed your step to instal, wipe dalvik/art, system, data & chache. Flash ROM then reboot.
I got 'Could not do normal boot'.
Enter TWRP again and instal synergy kernel and reboot, I still got 'Could not do normal boot'.

My phone:
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900S (Korea)
TWRP 2.8.7.0 hlteskt
CP N900SKSU0GPC5
BL N900SKSU0GPB1

sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using XDA Labs

Attachments

• SI_20170707_181324.jpg
    SI_20170707_181324.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 717
Last edited:

svbarbosa

Dec 18, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
I installed SPenCommand but the App doesn't open. When clicking the Icon nothing happens. Anyone knows about this Problem or knows another app for this?
Beside that everything (incl. Batterylife) seems great on this first day of testing.

I have never used SPenCommand myself. Just read good things about it many times in other threads. Try to search and get help from people who are using it.

You may also check these apps: Note Buddy (S Pen Helper) and CM S Pen Add-on(ROOT).

And this guide on them: The Ultimate S Pen Customization Tool for Your Galaxy Note 3.

But be advised that I have no experience using these apps. Just found them using google.

I have followed your step to instal, wipe dalvik/art, system, data & chache. Flash ROM then reboot.
I got 'Could not do normal boot'.
Enter TWRP again and instal synergy kernel and reboot, I still got 'Could not do normal boot'.

My phone:
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900S (Korea)
TWRP 2.8.7.0 hlteskt
CP N900SKSU0GPC5
BL N900SKSU0GPB1

sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using XDA Labs

Sorry I can not be of help here. I only have the hlte N9005 international Note 3.

Maybe you could replace Synergy RC9 by a kernel that you are sure works with your N900S.

Last edited:
Reactions: opexblue

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rock Stable Setup
    Using Resurrection Remix
    Revision 11 - 11-Mar-2018

Phase 1 - Prepare for install

Here I am assuming you have a Windows PC. If not you will need to use google search to adapt my instructions to your available OS/hardware. The PC is only required for this phase.

1 - Samsung USB Driver:

Make sure you have the Samsung USB driver installed in your Windows PC.

If not download and install the latest driver:

- SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.65.0.exe

2 - Odin:

If you do not have Odin, get it here, unpack to any folder and create a shortcut pointing to Odin3 v3.09.exe.

There are newer versions of Odin, but they may have issues with our Note 3. Odin v3.09 is the one to use.

3 - TWRP

New to TWRP? Read this guide: TWRP: the complete guide to using Recovery on Android.

If you do not already have it, install TWRP 3.2.1-0. Download it from https://dl.twrp.me/hlte. More info here.

If you no not have TWRP installed download the .tar file and flash with Odin.

If you have an older version download the .img file and use your current TWRP to flash the image into recovery partition.

4 - Update Bootloader and Modem:

You have to install latest Nordic Countries Bootloader and Modem. I have prepared a "tar.md5" with both.

And yes, modem is not country or region dependent. Rest assured Nordic will work no matter where you are.

Get it from here: N9005_Nordic_XXUGPQB1-Modem_XXSGBQD1-Bootloader.tar.md5

Updating bootloader and modem is a must!
    If you don't you may get the "SIM Card not detected" error and GPS fix will be slow or not work at all.

There are many sure ways to flash modem and bootloader so that they "stick". What always works for me is:

- Restart into Recovery (TWRP)
    - Select Reboot->Power off
    - Turn on directly into download mode by holding Down Arrow+Home+Power at the same time
    - Connect phone to PC
    - Flash with Odin using the AP slot

Now you should check if update was successful. The best way is to install the app Phone INFO, run it and select the Firmware tab. The correct Bootloader and Baseband (modem) above should be displayed. There is a screenshot in first post.

If the update did not work repeat the steps carefully until it does. You may, as a last resort, after powering off remove the battery, wait for about 30 seconds, reinsert the battery and then turn on directly into download mode.

Thanks to @Hereiwas for the files I have used in previous setups. Check out in his thread Bootloader and Baseband for SM-N9005.

If you need more info on flashing modems and bootloaders also take a look at @jcadduono thread [Direct Download] Latest Bootloaders & Modems.

PHASE 2 - Download the necessary installation files

1 - Resurrection Remix Nougat rom - thanks @vidwhal:

Download from here: RR-N-v5.8.5-20180101-hlte-Official-vidwhal.zip.

Please note that I am not the rom builder or developer. All credits go to @vidwhal and the RR Team.

This is the rom thread: [ROM][HLTE][UNOFFICIAL][OMS]Resurrection Remix N.

Please note this build may not be the latest available. The goal here is to have a stable rom that you will be able to use as a daily driver with no issues for a long time. Only after a lot of testing a new build makes into my setup.

I modified the zip to remove Magisk. This will make it easier to use newer or beta Magisk builds if necessary in the future. Remember Safetynet is a cat and mouse game and changes happen fast.

Special thanks to @tarkzim, who produced the RR builds used in earlier setups. He did a fantastic job of producing a very stable build without a Note 3 device for tests. His builds led me to create this thread.

2 - Magisk v16.0 Official - thanks @topjohnwu):

Magisk Installer: Magisk-v16.0.zip
    Magisk Manager: MagiskManager-v5.6.1.apk (optional - you might need it in the future)
    Magisk Uninstaller: Magisk-uninstaller-20180222.zip (optional - you might need it in the future)

if you decide to use newer builds do it at your own risk. I strongly recommend to keep these.

3 - Gapps:

Open Gapps Pico: open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20180311.zip

Not much to say here. Open GApps FTW.

Again the above build is the one I tested. Use this for a failproof installation, but feel free to use a newer build. Usually it will not be a problem.

I prefer Pico Gapps so I have the bare minimum as system apps. And I live by the KISS Principle. All other gapps I need are installed as user apps so I am allowed to use Titanium Backup to backup/restore them with data.

If you would rather use another Gapps package just pick the one you want. All packages should work but the Aroma. Aroma does not work in TWRP 3.

4 - Xenial Kernel - thanks @Jairus980:

Xenial Kernel: [Hlte][Xenial-b26x][02.01.18][N7.1-GSM].zip

Kernel thread: [Kernel][Xenial][Hlte].

With Xenial you have some fixes like the correct charging current in lock screen and working Gravity, Linear acceleration and Orientation sensors. Of course there is a lot more under the hood. If you plan to do some kernel tweaking Xenial offers more options.

If you do flash Xenial kernel do not report any bugs in RR thread. To report a bug you must first go back to stock kernel by dirty flashing RR and Magisk. If you are still able to reproduce the bug then you may post it in RR thread.

Even if there is a newer kernel release, you should keep using the build I posted here to have my tested stable setup.

Special thanks to @gj86 for his Synergy Kernel, used in my previous setup. It is also a great option.

5 - GPS Fix:

In this setup there is no need for a GPS fix. GPS is fast and rock stable as it should always have been.

But you really must update your modem to my recommend Nordic QB1 or GPS will be slow or not work at all.

Do not worry about your current location. The modem will work not matter where you are.

Latest RR builds somehow made GPS fix slower. I checked the gps.conf file and it is exactly the same as in previous builds.

I have my own optimized gps.conf, prepared originally for Marshmallow CM13, with a few more adjustments for Nougat.

After installing my gps.conf in latest RR build, gps fix is back to normal, taking only a few seconds.

I prepared a flashable zip to install my gps.conf. It saves existing gps.conf and put mine in its place.

Download it from here: Fix-GPS-for-hlte-la14.1-based-roms-v1.zip.

PHASE 3 - Backup!!

Now it is time to make backups of your current setup.

Use TWRP to make a nandroid backup. You will need it if something goes wrong. If you are paranoid like me make two and save them on your PC hard drive.

If you use Titanium make also a Titanium full backup. Remember that you should never restore system apps or settings. Use Titanium only to restore user apps and xml backups of wifi passwords, call log and sms messages.

The steps to install the new ROM will not erase your internal storage, but why not make a backup of everything to your PC or an OTG USB Drive.

PHASE 4: Install

- Make sure you have updated TWRP and your bootloader and modem as instructed in phase 1
    - Make sure you have all files downloaded from phase 2 in your phone - preferably in external sdcard
    - Make sure you have backups!!

- Use advanced wipe to wipe System, Data and Cache
    - Flash RR-N-v5.8.5-20180101-hlte-Official-vidwhal.zip
    - DO NOT WIPE ANYTHING
    - Reboot System (be patient - it will take a while, around 3-4 minutes)

- Pick your preferred launcher
    - Check Settings->Date & Time and make sure it is ok

- Flash [Hlte][Xenial-b26x][02.01.18][N7.1-GSM].zip
    - Flash Magisk-v16.0.zip
    - Flash open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20180311.zip (or the one you prefer)

- DO NOT WIPE ANYTHING
    - Reboot System (this time it will be faster)

- Go to Settings->Accounts and add your google account
    - Customize your other settings
    - Run Magisk Manager and check if SafetyNet passes
    - If not disable/reenable "Magisk Hide" option in Magisk Manager Settings and try again
    - Restore/install apps/data
    - PROFIT!
    During the last few months I have been testing several Nougat rom/kernel/modem/su combinations for the hlte N9005 international.

I created this thread to share my setup, hoping it will help others to save the many hours of research, trial, error and frustration I had before reaching the jackpot.

I have 3 hlte phones at my disposal, two myself and one my wife. All three are running trouble free.

By using my setup you will get:
    • Absolutely no freezes, reboots or FCs
    • Stable root and Safetynet checks ok
    • GPS fast and stable fix - average 5 seconds worst 20 seconds
    • Low battery drain (of course actual drain depends heavily on your apps and usage)
    • Everything works (AFAIK - you tell me what does not)
    Keep in mind my main goal is to provide a stable setup. I will do my best to update this thread regularly, but it is very unlikely I will be using the very latest builds available, mainly because before I adopt a new build it must be thoroughly tested.

If you're interested head to the guide in Post #2

Why Resurrection Remix?

RR has, IMHO, the best combination of features and stability. The RR team has been around for a long time without the ups and downs of other roms. For the Note 3 we are in a very fortunate time, with an official build and many unofficial builds to choose from.

Since RR is based on LineageOS, it is available for most devices. It is very likely when we finally retire our Note 3 and move to another flagship, RR will be there for it.

Why Not Oreo?

Well, thread title says it all.

Credits and Thanks:
    Special thanks to @tarkzim for the RRN build used in initial setups.

and everyone else I forgot to mention.

>>>>>>> I know - screenshots below are from a previous setup. I will update then sometime in the future. :eek:

Battery Life Benchmarks - Stock x Custom Kernels

Here is my latest compilation of PC Mark Battery Life Benchmarks to compare currently available kernels for RR.

If you haven´t read my previous posts and need more info on PC Mark read the explanation at the end of this post.

This time let´s start with the results:

PC%20Mark%20Battery%20Tests%20HLTE%20-%202018-0101.png

All test were done with RR-N-v5.8.5-20171223-hlte-Official-vidwhal, using stock kernel, Synergy, Xenial and my Xenial Repack.

Again there is no clear winner, but if your main goal is battery life and you do not worry about sacrificing performance go for Xenial. To get a few extra minutes with no performance impact use my repack. I turn on Adreno Idler with my custom settings for increased battery life.

@Jairus980 is still taking care of his hlte kernel. His Note 3 went to his mother and thank god he wants to keep her happy. :)

If your goal is performance then go for Synergy. Best performance of all runs. @gj86 is really busy with work/real life and has little time for his kernel but still manages to make it a good choice.

Stock kernel is the best choice for a balance between battery life and performance. Well done @vidwhal!

I used the kernels as they come, no tweaks. Of course my repack is a tweak of original Xenial.

This time I calibrated the lux output of each kernel to 200 lux, as required by PC Mark, so results are better suited for comparison.

I also ran a series with L Speed using the Balanced profile on Xenial. @Chinaboy5216, do you use a standard profile or tweak the options directly?

Now some words on benchmarks and PC Mark:

Benchmark results are usually misleading, but PC Mark battery life benchmark shines by using day to day tasks to measure phone performance and battery drain. It repeats a series of tasks including web browsing, photo and video editing, text editing and data manipulation.

For these runs I started the benchmarks with battery precisely at 95% and the test automatically stops when battery reaches 20%, so the test consumes 75% of the battery charge.

For each run you get a performance score and the battery duration. Of course the screen is always on during the whole test.

If you want to learn more about PC Mark take a look at the site: PC Mark for Android.
    New Year, New Setup!!

New setup is ready and posts #1 and #2 updated.

Happy New Year!!