[Q] How to root N9005 Lollipop (5.0) N905XXUGBOK6 on Mac OS X?

Search This thread

xda-note3

Jan 15, 2017
Hi there,

I was wondering if I could get any help regarding my Note 3. I would like to root the device using a Mac.

AP: N905XXUGBOK6
CP: N9005XXUGBOJ1
CSC: N9005DBTGBOI1

Are there any guides out there using Heimdall? I wasnt able to find any.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

xda-note3

Jan 15, 2017
Hey there,

thanks for getting back to me :)

I checked autoroot*chainfire*eu but the Build Number is a different one (LRX21V.N9005XXUGBOA5). Im not sure if this will work?

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I know Samsung has different versions of the same ROM (e.g. 4.4.2, 5.01, etc.) and I never worried about that. I would just flash Chainfire's KK if I was running any KK stock ROM or LP file if I was running any stock LP ROM.

If you want to flash it a different way, you could flash TWRP using Odin and then flash supersu from TWRP.

Last edited:

xda-note3

Jan 15, 2017
So there are multiple ways to root a device?
Regarding the Chainfires ROMs: "If you have locked bootloaders, flashing one of these will probably brick your device". How do I avoid this? Can I somehow check if my bootloader is unlocked?

Regarding TWRP:

Would those be the two things I need for this method?
twrp*me/devices/samsunggalaxynote3qualcomm.html
davideddu*org/blog/posts/how-to-flash-a-recovery-image-using-heimdall/

zlazaar

Jun 6, 2014
So there are multiple ways to root a device?
Regarding the Chainfires ROMs: "If you have locked bootloaders, flashing one of these will probably brick your device". How do I avoid this? Can I somehow check if my bootloader is unlocked?

Regarding TWRP:

Would those be the two things I need for this method?
twrp*me/devices/samsunggalaxynote3qualcomm.html
davideddu*org/blog/posts/how-to-flash-a-recovery-image-using-heimdall/

1- You have the international variant of note 3 (SM-N9005) and a german region code (CSC=DBT), so yes your bootloader is unlocked.
2- Yes, use "twrp-2.8.7.0-hlte-4.4.img.tar" and you should be good.

xda-note3

Jan 15, 2017
- If you want only root and keep your device's warranty, go for CF-Autoroot.
- If you don't mind about warranty, need root and custom recovery for future custom roms, go for TWRP directly.

If I root with CF-Autoroot would it be possible to flash a custom rom later without triggering the KNOX count?

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Knox will always be tripped when rooting or flashing any non-official Samsung firmware for the phone.

Knox is not a big deal in my opinion unless there is warranty left on the phone.

xda-note3

Jan 15, 2017
So 2017 passed and I didn't root my phone. /o\ However, I just deleted a few pictures by accident which I would like to recover. I read that this might be possible with a rooted phone and PhotoRec. Whats the current method to root the Note 3 on a Mac?

Sakthiswaran

Oct 15, 2018
N9005 ver5.0 N9005DXUGBO3

N9005 ver5.0 N9005DXUGBO3

Can I know which method is the best to root this phone? Mainly which custom ROM should I use as the battery life is an issue plus I only use this phone for solely gaming purpose only(didn't even inserted a simcard in)!